[le help needed] duncans emg707 equivalent?

• Thread starter c4tze
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

c4tze

sergeant shred
Reaction score
hey guise,

this is the first thread i opened here so please dont be pissed if its misplaced, i hope this is the suiting category and this question hasnt been asked too many times as if you would triple dare me to hell for another way of asking such a weird question.

i have been argueing around with me and myself many hundrets of times but i just cant deny:

there is still one basswood guitar left which would sound fine with an emg707, but its a rare model and i definately do not want to carve out some wood to get the emg size be fitting. this would be a complete round up of my gear. bareknuckle @ basswood, bareknuckle @ mahogany, emg707 @ mahogany, emg808 @ basswood, etc. etc. bla bla bla each exsiting. but theres one left which i know it would sound brootal as fuck with an emg707 (rg1077xl, got the rg970xl with and emg85) but i dont want to ruin that perfect looking body.

so, after le big and long bla bla bla finally der question:

which one of the seymour duncan active pups is the "paf-version" / emg707/emg85 equivalent? (dont be scared or misled by "paf-version", thats what the emg85 and emg707 are called, an active paf pup)

i would kiss yer guitars arses if anyones able to tell me "seymour duncan bla bla mostly is like emg707 bla bla bla".

cheers.

ps: when the shit is done ill post a video of me hiking around in the diezel factory which is in my hood.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
for what it's worth, you may wann check out the Custom Shop Blackouts... Frank & Derek are making a special version of the Blackouts with a different preamp (same as the EMG preamp...) and offer it in a lower gain model as well (comperable to the EMG X series...). Either that, or just use the normal Phase 1 Blackouts, neck position (alnico magnet...) for both spots. I've seen where Frank recommends using these if you like the sound and tonality of the 707's...

Details can be found HERE... I'd say the Phase 1's so you can have the look of a normal EMG looking pickup in it without routing massive amounts of wood.

Skin Coffin

Reaction score
It's off topic, but I'm really interested on one thing you said.. I have a 1077XL and I'm looking for a bridge pickup (since the neck and middle are nice IMO) that can handle lots of gain, for technical death metal, a la Necrophagist, Decapitated, Psycroptic, etc. Why would you say a 707 would sound "brootal" in this guitar?

c4tze

sergeant shred
Reaction score
a 707 would sound perfect for that but i already have one in a 7680 and i dont want to carve wood again, thats just the point. if you dont have doubts in woodwork you should fit that in, there is no better active (exempt maybe a duncan equivalent) for that.