Learning to properly solder guitar wiring and electronics, setting up a workbench

• Thread starter AwakenTheSkies
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Dude that's a gorgeous flame on that single cut. Your connectors look a-ok imo... not beautiful but not ugly and they appear solid. Notice the pot over to the left... some tiny pitting at that joint. Better everything should perfect those things and you'll achieve a more solid bead across the entire length. But again, if they feel and seem solid to you... they're good imo.

So if you wanted, you could go back in or on future projects, and do proper heat-shrink tube, Just gotta be careful not to accidentally shrink the tube during soldering. Gotta slide it as far as you can down outta harms way. Hard-wired or with bullet connectors whatever, but heat shrink really cleans things up if that's something important to you. Otherwise, nice work and sexy guitars. I hope you'll post more of your progress if/ when.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
Dude that's a gorgeous flame on that single cut. Your connectors look a-ok imo... not beautiful but not ugly and they appear solid. Notice the pot over to the left... some tiny pitting at that joint. Better everything should perfect those things and you'll achieve a more solid bead across the entire length. But again, if they feel and seem solid to you... they're good imo.

So if you wanted, you could go back in or on future projects, and do proper heat-shrink tube, Just gotta be careful not to accidentally shrink the tube during soldering. Gotta slide it as far as you can down outta harms way. Hard-wired or with bullet connectors whatever, but heat shrink really cleans things up if that's something important to you. Otherwise, nice work and sexy guitars. I hope you'll post more of your progress if/ when.
Thanks! I think this time I used too little solder and the wires aren't buried in the blob. I thought about hitting that (solder) joint again with the iron, the one you mention on the left. But honestly it looked shiny like a mirror and I thought, well is it really worth risking trouble just to make it look prettier? Idk maybe I will. But chances are if the guitar works right I'll just forget about it. 🤣

Also it would probably help if I got wires that weren't so thick, different colours, etc. Easier to handle I guess..

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
That's all I'd prob do if everything's working right. I don't think you used too little. It looks more like a heat transfer issue. Everything else looks good... not overly contaminated, no cold spit-ups anywhere and it looks like there's plenty of solder to have been able to fill those pits. But shit, I'd be happy. I hate having to go back in and heat up a spot with a wire or two already soldered in. It's more important with like batteries/ power supplies regarding the gauge. Some might disagree but you don't always have a choice. I always side with caution if direct gauge wiring isn't an option and go with a reasonably larger diameter. Wires that are too small or too big can be a headache so I try to steer clear of anything I realistically might fuck up as there seems to be a middle ground of gauges that I'm most comfortable with. I've never had to precision solder any tiny stuff, thankfully.