Legato on higher frets

• Thread starter Luan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jongpil Yun

Contributor
Reaction score
If you have big fat sausage fingers like Gambale it's possible but harder. For me it's easier on the higher frets.

D

Desecrated

I have pretty big strings and I think legato works better on the high frets then on the low.

maybe I´m just doing it wrong :D

Luan

Reaction score
I use .09, but my guitar doesn't have jumbo frets, may the problem be that?

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
My UV has medium frets and it seems to be no issue. How high are we talking?

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Often when I'm playing legato at the high end of the neck I find myself switching from standard 1-finger-per-fret fingering and using mainly the first three fingers of my fretting hand, only using the fourth for 4NPS stuff. I find my fingers aren't cramped together so much that way, which makes it easier to get a good legato tone. Oh, and I've got pretty thin, spindly fingers.

Tymon

Reaction score
Often when I'm playing legato at the high end of the neck I find myself switching from standard 1-finger-per-fret fingering and using mainly the first three fingers of my fretting hand, only using the fourth for 4NPS stuff. I find my fingers aren't cramped together so much that way, which makes it easier to get a good legato tone. Oh, and I've got pretty thin, spindly fingers.

Same here... and on top of that it enables you to play some cool Allan Holdsworth like stretches :D But yes, it is harder at the high notes.

The best tip I ever got for practicing legato is to play straight 8th notes for 10 minutes or 15 minutes at a slow tempo, non stop. Just try to play through some cool licks and scales and phrases and try to connect things up and never pause. Sounds like a stupid exercise but try it for a few days, suddenly your fast legato technique gets MUCH better!

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Remember, up high you don't want to worry about fitting your whole finger inside of the area between the frets. Just worry about landing your finger right behind the fret. Some guys with big fingers grab two frets a time when they are above twenty, but that is perfectly all right.

This is one of the reasons I really like V's. I can come straight down on top of the frets, without worrying about the back of my hand nailing a horn.

Luan

Reaction score
Can you do this on the high frets?

---------------15h-17h-19p-17-15h-17h-19p-17-15p-------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------15h-17h-19p-17-15h-17h-19p-17-15

Etc etc?
(i'm not good tabbing, i prefer standart notation..)

Luan

Reaction score
It is possible using 1, 3 and 4 fingers?
Or 1, 2 and 4?

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
I still use fingers 1-2-4 for that. You just need to practice slowly to learn accuracy. The higher frets have no room for error.

newamerikangospel

Tonight.......you
Reaction score
Yeah, that is my "sweet spot" for legato. As for fingering, i would say if that is all you are practicing, do 1-2-4 and 1-3-4. If there is more, or you were moving that pattern down the neck, my fingering would be dependent on what the fingering following down would be (that pattern could either be an e minor or e dorian, or whatever the modal equivelent would be).