Leo Jaymz Kit Experiment

• Thread starter bostjan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
The Eart guitars are absolutely worth it. They've jacked the prices up a bit in the last few years since they've become more popular, but they go on sale pretty regularly. NK guitars, if you find a used one, are killer as well.
I almost considered an Eart after seeing some good reviews, but then I saw some bad reviews.

My trouble with NK is that I can hardly find anything about them. The used ones seem to list for as much or more than new ones- I'm guessing new ones cost a lot to ship and import or something, maybe some risk in buying a new one? There is no trustworthy info out there on specs for them. For another 100-300 usd, I can get an Agile that has the specs listed and ships from only a couple dozen miles from me. Are NK's better than Agiles? Or even as good?

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Unrelated but I saw a guy with some crazy adjustable microtonal fret system lift up a whole "row" of the neck, and rearrange things, make part of the fretboard fretless, etc.. Thought of you.
That's awesome!

I reached out to a few luhiers about doing interchangeable fretboard, but it seems like everyone is super busy right now. I have a couple of Tolgahan's "fretlets," but I have trouble getting them to stay put.

lost_horizon

Reaction score
Update on this piece of junk...

I've done a lot of work, but there's one thing I just DO NOT understand.

So, I have the intonation as good as it gets on frets 1-12. Perfect at 12, actually.

And the frets are all parallel to each other. And all strings go flat in the upper register of frets.

And here's the weird part: intonation on the high and low E's at the 24th fret is an almost livable 15 cents flat, but on the D and G they are over 50 cents flat.

Any idea how this can be?
The 24th fret is off, what is the measurement? There is less than 5mm to play with here so could be an issue.

The only other thing it could be is the nut is not perfectly flat where the strings break over the nut so it is not equal distance away, you have accounted for this in intonating at 1-12 but not at the 24th.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
I almost considered an Eart after seeing some good reviews, but then I saw some bad reviews.

My trouble with NK is that I can hardly find anything about them. The used ones seem to list for as much or more than new ones- I'm guessing new ones cost a lot to ship and import or something, maybe some risk in buying a new one? There is no trustworthy info out there on specs for them. For another 100-300 usd, I can get an Agile that has the specs listed and ships from only a couple dozen miles from me. Are NK's better than Agiles? Or even as good?
Can’t speak on the Agiles too much. The reviews for them have ranged from the usual, “punches way above its price” to “this is a POS I’m sending it back.”

My NK sample size is one, but I’d say that the “Strandberg killer” moniker is well deserved. YMMV and all that.