"Let me introduce myself "...

YanExcelsior1701

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
̶ ̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶o̶c̶i̶a̶l̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶e̶a̶s̶e̶
Hi, relatively long time reader of the site, fun thing I was going to sign up more than a year ago as I wanted to ask smth, but at some point the access conditions have been changed, and all that time I could enter the site only by using VPN proxy stuff, but couldn`t sign up because the system thought I was a bot. And now today I was browsing some guitar stuff, and I saw a thread here and accessed it without proxy, yay! So I decided to make an account and introduce myself. Looking forward to learn from other members and share smth as well if I can.

My name`s Yan (or Ian, doesn`t matter in Latin transliteration, but my father named me after Ian Gillan from Deep Purple), I`m 27 currently, located in Russia, Moscow. Mother always wanted me to be fond of classic music, took me to conservatories often but it wasn`t that kind of music I wanted to listen to on a constant basis. Started listening to Rock/Metal in early 2000-s, there was no internet at home and I didn`t have any metal friends until 2009 to advise smth. My father ordered ~300 Video CD`s and collected a tremendous number of mp3 compilations to that date, so that`s what I used mostly. I quickly became addicted to modern and classic heavy/speed/power metal (probably because I like punchy powerchord based guitars with nice midrange, powerful, close to clean vocals and some certain harmonies), then thrash, death, black, stoner, progressive, didn`t become a fan of alternative, metalcore (with some exceptions), deathcore, posthardcore and djent later. Keeping an eye on those nevertheless.

Decided to play guitar in 2007 (at first wanted to play bass but quickly understood my mistake), so father bought me my first guitar on birthday, a typical 100$ Chinese Strat with humbucker in bridge position and Roland Microcube, and I started self-teaching. Later on a family`s friend gave me another guitar, Warmoth telecaster with Floyd Rose and Charvel pickups. She didn`t specify who was the previous owner, only told the guitar was very old. Almost everything was broken but now it`s playable… and without Floyd haha. Somewhere in 2012 I started to earn enough money to spend on guitar stuff, bought a cool looking V-shape Edwards by ESP and lots of pedals, several amps (of course not in one day) thus falling into GAS lasted for several years until I realized there would be never enough for me, so I sold almost all pedals and amps, bought some must-have studio equipment instead. However GAS gave me opportunity to experience lots of cool and unusual sounds that I still apply, so I think it was a good addiction.

For years I considered switching to 7-string guitar as I was sick and tired of changing tunings, string gauges and so on. That`s when I was introduced to this place! Still couldn`t find anything I would like to play, I thought maybe ordering some decent quality guitar like Kiesel or Strandberg would solve it but then the crisis appeared, everything became 2.5x more expensive, so I sold Edwards and bought a used Dean Vendetta 1.7 with Dimarzio D-Sonic pups in a local commission shop. It was fine but I couldn`t stand Tunomatic bridge in terms of playability and muddy sound of the 7-th string, so I continued searching for a better axe, thought ordering a new multiscale Legator Ghost (not new since then) but lots of people talked me out saying their quality didn`t match price tag (1100$, as I recall). Then I saw a VGS Soulmaster guitar with Evertune bridge on bulletin board and bought it the same day. Changed pickups to Lace Sensor Nitro-Hemi and it became not bad at all, there are still several things to be done but I already like it as for now.

One day in 2016 I felt strange thing during playing, like my hands began slowing down with some additional pain and it repeated next days and weeks. I quit all physical activities involving arms, but nothing changed, so I visited lots of doctors, got tested, been tortured by electricity to measure the speed of nerve impulses coming from brain to hands, there were some super minor deviations that couldn`t be a problem, so no one told me exactly what`s wrong. So I was depressed and didn’t play guitar for the whole year, but once I picked up guitar and it seemed to be fine, and 2 days later not. I realized it`s a kind of unknown thing that appears and disappears, so I just try to adapt to that silly schedule and play when I feel I can. I changed my approach a little in order to do less movements, started using Ebow for some goofy leads. Can`t say I lost too much as I`ve never been a decent shredder, however I slightly regret my way of life didn`t let me spend more time with guitar all those years of playing, right now I have more time than ever before but the progress is very slow as new things are learnt much quicker in the younger age, you know, plus that unknown strange thing.

So, that`s all, I guess, haha. Not sure if someone read to this moment but thanks anyway! And sorry for such a long story, I`m taking the train right now and am out of other options, so I wrote a kind of full story.

Also check out my Youtube channel if you`d like. (my nickname is Space Expire Audio, purple flying saucer and guitar on the avatar:D) It`s inspired both by metal guitar stuff mostly and my obsession with sci-fi stylistics, not so many videos are there yet but I`m planning do more in time. Making stuff for the channel helped me to deal with my “guitar depression” and be more confident with that unstable condition.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.