Let the RG8 Mods begin...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

brutalwizard

Pretty Your Petunia
Reaction score
If their was enough interest my bassist would CNC Wood rg8 pickguards. I was doubting any of us would pay 50+ just for a pickguard though lol. maybe thats just me.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
If their was enough interest my bassist would CNC Wood rg8 pickguards. I was doubting any of us would pay 50+ just for a pickguard though lol. maybe thats just me.

you know, if enough people commit, he may be able to tool up and knock that price down to $25-$30 a piece and make money on quantity sales.

tell him to post something up in this thread ---> http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/extended-range-guitars/244787-rg8-pickguard-thread.html

also, here is the rg8 roll call thread ---> http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/extended-range-guitars/220221-rg8-roll-call.html

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
So I might get myself an RG8 for Christmas and it would be the first guitar I'd like to mod.

I have a few questions though...

For pickups I'd go with either Ionizers or a Painkiller/Ionizer (Bridge/Neck) combo. I'd also like to have coil-split abilities and use, say, a 5 way switch instead of the standard 3 way.

How would I make this work? This is literally the first time I've done anything like that to a guitar ever, and I'm clueless. I'm aware that you need pickups with the right conductor and all, but when it comes to re-wiring, pots (do I even need a new pot for the new pickups) etc. ... yeah, clueless.

Any input on this would really help me out. :bowdown:
You should swap the garbage pots they put in from the factory. Grab some CTS 500k pots,a 0.022mf Orange drop cap, a switchcraft mono output jack, and a quality 5 way blade like a fender, not the import plastic box type. You can also get one 500k for volume, a push/pull with the cap for tone and do a 3 way switch. If you have a soldering iron then why not try to do it? There are countless images of exactly what to do. You'd be surprised how easy it is once you just do it. If for some crazy reason you couldn't get it to work you could still bring it to a tech and you'd have done most of the work for him.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Would it be possible to remove the active-style housing on the stock pickups and putting them on a replacement pup?

Highly unlikely, they're epoxied in the cover.

I guess you could take a router to the bottom of the pickup and try to cut out the insides, but you'd likely just shred the cover anyway.

Mojotone makes covers that fit (5 string bass pickup covers) though shipping is unreasonably high to Europe. Its even unreasonably high within the US (about the same as the cost of the pickup cover).

Seybsnilksz

Reaction score
Yeah, I figured so.

Next question: Would it be worth it to buy a Hipshot bridge and replace the just the saddles on the stock bridge ith the hipshot ones? Replacing the whole bridge doesn't appeal to my eyes. With the screw holes and all.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
Yeah, I figured so.

Next question: Would it be worth it to buy a Hipshot bridge and replace the just the saddles on the stock bridge ith the hipshot ones? Replacing the whole bridge doesn't appeal to my eyes. With the screw holes and all.

No. If anything, you could find out if Graphtech saddles would fit, as they sell saddles by themselves.

starvingartist

Reaction score
sanded top down the the natural finish. Matte clear coat
Just purchased a Dimarzio D'activator 8 for the bridge. should be here soon!

Screenshot_2014-12-31-15-06-37~01.png

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
Got the logo on

that looks pretty good...got a pic of the whole guitar finished?

sanded top down the the natural finish. Matte clear coat
Just purchased a Dimarzio D'activator 8 for the bridge. should be here soon!

here ya go...

44248-let-rg8-mods-begin-screenshot_2014-12-31-15-06-37-01.png

starvingartist

Reaction score
Got the Dimarzio D'activator installed for the bridge

Attachments

• 20150103_135138.jpg
    20150103_135138.jpg
    609.1 KB · Views: 144
  • 20150103_135153.jpg
    20150103_135153.jpg
    667 KB · Views: 108

starvingartist

Reaction score
has anyone dyed the fretboard at all? I'm thinking that now that i have the natural top and black sides and back, the fretboard might look good darker.

Tesla

Augmented User
Reaction score