Line 6 Catalyst: New line of combo amps based on Helix modeling

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

Jeffrey Bain

Reaction score

2 channels, 6 original amps based on the HX platform, 18 effects. MIDI and regular latching footswitch.

The 2x12 combo is the most expensive at $499, so uh... RIP Katana? If this sounds anything as good as the Helix modeling? :lol:

Yeah the Katana and THR from Yamaha are uh.... in trouble lol

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Masoo2

Reaction score
Affordable price, included modeled amps and effects (Helix's pitch shifting, synths, reverbs, and delays), and the ability to seemingly switch between 12 different presets through MIDI program changes rather than being restricted to solely the two channels make this out to be a really attractive solution for a small gig/practice-type amp. Wouldn't mind picking up one of these.

Here's the manual which goes into detail a bit more than most videos I've seen, but I also haven't checked out any of the hour long ones yet:

Jeffrey Bain

Reaction score
No head? Missed an opportunity there.
Agreed this would have been pretty cool. Been toying with the idea of building a Hellatone 30/Creamback loaded Vertical Avatar 2x12, having a modeler head to go on top with helix sounds would have been mint

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Affordable price, included modeled amps and effects (Helix's pitch shifting, synths, reverbs, and delays), and the ability to seemingly switch between 12 different presets through MIDI program changes make this out to be a really attractive solution for a small gig/practice-type amp. Wouldn't mind picking up one of these.

Here's the manual which goes into detail a bit
Oh damn they made it sound like it's just a 2 channel amp, so its' actually technically a 12 channel amp if you use MIDI?

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
No head? Missed an opportunity there.

Agreed this would have been pretty cool. Been toying with the idea of building a Hellatone 30/Creamback loaded Vertical Avatar 2x12, having a modeler head to go on top with helix sounds would have been mint
When the Katana line was announced, IIRC it was just combos. The head came later. I guess they're testing the waters, then will expand the line later on.

Jeffrey Bain

Reaction score
When the Katana line was announced, IIRC it was just combos. The head came later. I guess they're testing the waters, then will expand the line later on.
Yeah good point. Maybe they'll pleasantly surprise us down the line. Not that I really need an excuse to drop $1,000+ on a new amp setup lol

Masoo2

Reaction score
Oh damn they made it sound like it's just a 2 channel amp, so its' actually technically a 12 channel amp if you use MIDI?
Yeah if my understanding of the manual is correct it's 12 channel switchable through MIDI (switching to a specific channel of each of the 6 banks), but the included footswitch only allows for switching between a singular bank's channels (2) and the chosen effect.

2 channels isn't enough for me, as I'd like to have on deck a good rhythm patch, nice lead, some sort of synth sound, a crystal clean, and a breakup tone, but if it's actually 12 channels as the manual makes it out to be with the use of commonly available aftermarket MIDI controllers, I'm 100% all for it :agreed:

Of course this isn't really in the wild yet and I haven't had the chance to try one out in the flesh, but this seems to be the most feature packed and gig-ready affordable amp out, no? Only thing I'd like is the ability to run two effects at the same time but ehh I'm fine with it for the price.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Yeah if my understanding of the manual is correct it's 12 channel switchable through MIDI (switching to a specific channel of each of the 6 banks), but the included footswitch only allows for switching between a singular bank's channels (2) and the chosen effect.

2 channels isn't enough for me, as I'd like to have on deck a good rhythm patch, nice lead, some sort of synth sound, a crystal clean, and a breakup tone, but if it's actually 12 channels as the manual makes it out to be with the use of commonly available aftermarket MIDI controllers, I'm 100% all for it :agreed:

Of course this isn't really in the wild yet and I haven't had the chance to try one out in the flesh, but this seems to be the most feature packed and gig-ready affordable amp out, no? Only thing I'd like is the ability to run two effects at the same time but ehh I'm fine with it for the price.
Yeah I just noticed you're limited to one effect at a time. But it's kinda similar to the Katana in that regard. The Katana had 3 effects at once (Boost or mod, Delay or other effect, and Reverb), and the L6 seems to be somewhat similar (Boost, Effect, Reverb). I hope in a future update they let you replace the boost for a 2nd effect block, for those of us that don't need to use a boost.

Jeffrey Bain

Reaction score
Yeah I just noticed you're limited to one effect at a time. But it's kinda similar to the Katana in that regard. The Katana had 3 effects at once (Boost or mod, Delay or other effect, and Reverb), and the L6 seems to be somewhat similar (Boost, Effect, Reverb). I hope in a future update they let you replace the boost for a 2nd effect block, for those of us that don't need to use a boost.
I'm sorry but don't use a boost? DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOU ARE!? THAT IS BLASPHEMY

/s

nickgray

Reaction score
Katanalyst? :lol:

Nice to see some competition, even though I'm not in the market for it. I guess it depends on how it sounds though, I wasn't particularly wowed by Katana's high gain (I know that you get access to deeper editing features through a computer app, but just the plain stock one is not that amazing). Bit of a shame that the 60w version doesn't have a MIDI input, but it does have MIDI via USB, so you can hack things around if you want to. I'm also a bit unconvinced by footswitching options in general, seeing that Katana has that massive footswitch (it's expensive though), whereas here you'd have to get a 3rd party MIDI footswitch. A budget 4 button MIDI footswitch from Line 6 would be nice to see.

Also, they do have that Spider baggage... so we'll see how that whole thing turns out. At least they had the sense to not brand it as a Spider. But considering that Helix has been quite successful and (by this point) well regarded, I don't see Spider legacy doing all that much harm, if any.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I'm sorry but don't use a boost? DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOU ARE!? THAT IS BLASPHEMY

/s
uR AMNP SUKS IF IT NEEDS A BOOST11!!111!1

I mean for like clean and low-gain patches. :lol: I can get away with using reverb and modulation for cleans, but I also like to throw in some delay.

Jeffrey Bain

Reaction score
uR AMNP SUKS IF IT NEEDS A BOOST11!!111!1

I mean for like clean and low-gain patches. :lol: I can get away with using reverb and modulation for cleans, but I also like to throw in some delay.
100% with you sir. Gotta be able to achieve those huge ambient sounds which (for me) is usually a 3 or 4 effect chain