PodHdBean

Reaction score
Well why do "you" use it over pro tools ?
not trying to be a a-hole or anything im just curious because ive had reaper before and i can never get a good mix out of it.im guessing im exporting it wrong because it always sounds great in the program but horrible when i mix down.
I use Reaper on a Mac, so I'll go ahead and field this question.

I imagine he uses it for the same reason I use it. Because he likes it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
Well why do "you" use it over pro tools ?
not trying to be a a-hole or anything im just curious because ive had reaper before and i can never get a good mix out of it.im guessing im exporting it wrong because it always sounds great in the program but horrible when i mix down.

Pretty sure one of the apps is a lot more affordable than the other :p

LolloBlaskhyrt

HD Pro abuser
Reaction score
yeah, last time i posted the two comments i got most often were that they were too thin or too fizzy. about the same time mattmguitar put up his youtube vid of the pod hd eq effects, which enlightened me as to how to effectively use the mid-focus eq. ()

So that was exactly what I needed - I could trim some fizz and make my patches even brighter without them being too harsh, but I could also thicken up the bass without them getting boomy. I could use my favorite mic - the SM57 on axis without worrying about harsh fizzyness.

Then L6 released the Cab DEP's. It took me a while to realize how to use them effectively, and they opened me back up to using cabs other than the Hiway.

I was also a bit mired down completing some tone requests - did a bunch of classic rock presets. Not sure how YOU GUYS will feel about them, but after hearing about 6 ppl try to dial in $ for nothin on their Axe-FX II's; I feel like my tone smokes theirs. So I'm happy about that although it did take me out the high gain game a while.

I also went all tripped out and made some "8-bit" patches, and I finally got a bass so I made a couple bass patches.

I also figured out some good tweaks for the EVH, Vai, and Satch patches that basically completely overhauled them.

I saw only now this video and WOW! Now I know how the fuck works the parametric Eq! Thanks!!! Even if your HD presets are "old" I loved them.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
yeah, last time i posted the two comments i got most often were that they were too thin or too fizzy. about the same time mattmguitar put up his youtube vid of the pod hd eq effects, which enlightened me as to how to effectively use the mid-focus eq. ()

So that was exactly what I needed - I could trim some fizz and make my patches even brighter without them being too harsh, but I could also thicken up the bass without them getting boomy. I could use my favorite mic - the SM57 on axis without worrying about harsh fizzyness.

Then L6 released the Cab DEP's. It took me a while to realize how to use them effectively, and they opened me back up to using cabs other than the Hiway.

I was also a bit mired down completing some tone requests - did a bunch of classic rock presets. Not sure how YOU GUYS will feel about them, but after hearing about 6 ppl try to dial in $ for nothin on their Axe-FX II's; I feel like my tone smokes theirs. So I'm happy about that although it did take me out the high gain game a while.

I also went all tripped out and made some "8-bit" patches, and I finally got a bass so I made a couple bass patches.

I also figured out some good tweaks for the EVH, Vai, and Satch patches that basically completely overhauled them.

I hope you'll be posting the 8-bit patches too ;)

meambobbo

Reaction score
ok, here's a pretty good collection - I don't have them all up as a setlist yet, but the zip file has my latest patches I think are worthy of release. I didn't set up a page or anything, but I'll eventually replace my tone Demo page with these. If anyone wants to help record clips, that'd be awesome. Index of /podhd/toneDemo/patches 8-bit patches are included :) The folders have my old patches - all the new ones are directly in that folder, and have the Genre as the first two characters of the patch name... Ex. MM_Msh-Chs_0801 is the 08/01/12 version of the Modern Metal Meshuggah Chaosphere patch. Make sense?

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
ok, here's a pretty good collection - I don't have them all up as a setlist yet, but the zip file has my latest patches I think are worthy of release. I didn't set up a page or anything, but I'll eventually replace my tone Demo page with these. If anyone wants to help record clips, that'd be awesome. Index of /podhd/toneDemo/patches 8-bit patches are included :) The folders have my old patches - all the new ones are directly in that folder, and have the Genre as the first two characters of the patch name... Ex. MM_Msh-Chs_0801 is the 08/01/12 version of the Modern Metal Meshuggah Chaosphere patch. Make sense?

loaded and saved them all to my pod hd :)

Thrashman

Got Groove?
Reaction score

Sweet, I'll make sure to try theese out later today. Maybe I could help record some clips aswell if you'd like!

meambobbo

Reaction score
criticism and clips are appreciated - my main computer is still down so I can't record anything for another couple of weeks. I know a lot of yall can play better than me, and I'd rather post clips of good playing than myself noodling around. i will give authors credit of course. just don't alter the patches first, so that others can expect relatively the same tone from the patch.

let me know if you have questions about what the hell my naming conventions are supposed to mean.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
I've been tweaking my live patches recently and one of our songs called for a low gain, low fi dirty 'cleanish' song with a hint of breakup.

Was trying to figure out how to do it without changing patches as my DSP limit was being reached so I couldnt do two amps. Finally figured it out - assigning parameters to the expression pedal!

Figured out you can assign multiple paramaters from any of your effects to be controlled from your EXP1 or EXP 2. So siked.

I've set my expression pedal now for my maint one to be when the pedal is 'up' and when it's down it does the following; tube screamer gain increases from 5% to 15%, volume goes from 80% to 100%, amp gain goes from 15% to 1%, amp volume goes from 85% to 90%, and a digital delay w/mod mix goes from 0% to 50%.

This way I can have a clean amp when the pedal is up, and when the pedal is down my gain goes way down, but the volume is the same and the delay pedal that is always 'on' is now coming through the mix.

Going to tidy up my live patch but I'm now able to have a huge chunky rhythm, a nice smooth lead, a saturated delay layer, and a 'low fi' layer all operated from the same patch (I have about 3 seperate delay pedals + additional compression and reverb all sitting all over the place, haha)

I'll tidy the patch up and post it up if anyone is keen on checking it out. I generally run a really low saturated high gain tone (gain on engl is at 13%) so the difference between the low fi and my 'high gain' is really subtle, except at loud/gigging volumes.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
I've been tweaking my live patches recently and one of our songs called for a low gain, low fi dirty 'cleanish' song with a hint of breakup.

Was trying to figure out how to do it without changing patches as my DSP limit was being reached so I couldnt do two amps. Finally figured it out - assigning parameters to the expression pedal!

Figured out you can assign multiple paramaters from any of your effects to be controlled from your EXP1 or EXP 2. So siked.

I've set my expression pedal now for my maint one to be when the pedal is 'up' and when it's down it does the following; tube screamer gain increases from 5% to 15%, volume goes from 80% to 100%, amp gain goes from 15% to 1%, amp volume goes from 85% to 90%, and a digital delay w/mod mix goes from 0% to 50%.

This way I can have a clean amp when the pedal is up, and when the pedal is down my gain goes way down, but the volume is the same and the delay pedal that is always 'on' is now coming through the mix.

Going to tidy up my live patch but I'm now able to have a huge chunky rhythm, a nice smooth lead, a saturated delay layer, and a 'low fi' layer all operated from the same patch (I have about 3 seperate delay pedals + additional compression and reverb all sitting all over the place, haha)

I'll tidy the patch up and post it up if anyone is keen on checking it out. I generally run a really low saturated high gain tone (gain on engl is at 13%) so the difference between the low fi and my 'high gain' is really subtle, except at loud/gigging volumes.

That's a very clever use of the expression pedal! I always use it for my channel volume to keep from needing a volume pedal in the chain, but that's impressive!

Also, that's a crazy low gain setting. Even with the screamer at 15% you guys album tone is really nice though so I trust that it sounds good lol

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
So I'm buying an HD Pro. I'm also buying a rack case, but undecided as to whether I need a 2, 3, or 4-space case. I know the POD itself is 2 spaces, but is there anything that I would even need to fill those extra spaces at a later point? I feel like it pretty much does everything I need it to do in a live situation, so what would I even somewhat need later on?

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
line 6 G90 perhaps? or a tray for you to hold a pedalboard in? (I have the HD500 on a pedaltrain 2 and the L3M powered monitor, but our other guitarist has a 4U with an axe FX ultra, his ground control pro and cables fit in the 2U space above his Axe fx!)

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
The only pedal I'll be using is the FBV2, which will fit in the front zipper of the case. I might get the 3-space for a future wireless rig.

SchfiftyWanSchfifty

Resident Djerkoff
Reaction score
Dino Cazares recently posted a picture on twitter of his live rack. Pod HD, Matrix poweramp and g90 wireless. I'm curious as to how people run 800w/1000w+ poweramps through ONE cabinet when multiple 4x12s can't even handle the the wattage? :scratch:

meambobbo

Reaction score
Hey man that patch sounds great. I listened to tool play it as well and it's hard to tell in a full mix but to me the thing that stands out about the recto and diezel tone to me is that both have this sharp buzzy distortion to them. They also have a similar sponginess in the low end and warm mods to them. So from a distortion standpoint I would probably use a recto and a fireball amp models and I'd probably pre eq them both with a mid peak around 450-700 hz. That should thicken them up but not enough to lose their bite. I might raise their master dep to get more compression and a crunchier rather than djent tone - use medium distortion on the preamp.

I'd use either the greenbacks, über or treadplate cabs and tone them with the cab dep's. Id go more for clarity of tone than the eq you want. I would definitely use the 57 on axis mic. I think it's necessary to get the right crispness to the tone. Use a mid focus eq to roll off excessive high end.

Still curious to see what the soldano and doom models are like