This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

areyna21

Reaction score
Alright so after researching this thing I need someone to help me out. Well my plan is to use the hd500 to record and get my ideas down with but also to use it fx only through a tube amp. So 4cm will allow me to use only fx with the tube amp but I have to have the amp and cab sims turned off correct? Will this effect the tone of the tube amplifier at all? Also thinking about running it so the pod becomes my pre amp and use only the power amp section of the tube amp. I realize I could go the power amp route but would rather spare the extra cost even though i am willing to buy one. I want to use a peavey xxx head with the pedal board while maintaining it's own tone with an arsenal of fx via the pod. This seems to be possible from what I've read am I wrong? Out of the three options I layed out pod-xxx fx only, pod as pre-xxx, and pod-power amp which would sound best? I have only read like 40 pages of this two year thread so I apologize if this has already been asked.

Khaerruhl

Reaction score
Alright so after researching this thing I need someone to help me out. Well my plan is to use the hd500 to record and get my ideas down with but also to use it fx only through a tube amp. So 4cm will allow me to use only fx with the tube amp but I have to have the amp and cab sims turned off correct? Will this effect the tone of the tube amplifier at all? Also thinking about running it so the pod becomes my pre amp and use only the power amp section of the tube amp. I realize I could go the power amp route but would rather spare the extra cost even though i am willing to buy one. I want to use a peavey xxx head with the pedal board while maintaining it's own tone with an arsenal of fx via the pod. This seems to be possible from what I've read am I wrong? Out of the three options I layed out pod-xxx fx only, pod as pre-xxx, and pod-power amp which would sound best? I have only read like 40 pages of this two year thread so I apologize if this has already been asked.

Try all the ways possible. That's the only way for You to find out what sounds best to You, on Your particular rig. :)

GXPO

Reaction score
Check out Chimp Spanners youtube instructional. It has a few points I missed that made a huge difference to my rhythm tones.

Alex6534

Reaction score
Anybody got a link to a good clean tone? Getting the hd500 tomorrow and need to set up the patches within 2/3 hours, so a good clean to start from would be great.

meambobbo

Reaction score
Hi guys ! checkout my comparison of Zakk Wylde Overdrive (real pedal) vs Screamer in HD500
Playng is not very tight...
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19914810/mp3/Maple leaf POD.mp3
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19914810/mp3/Maple leaf Zakk.mp3

there is no bass guitar.

chain was Zakk or Screamer -> Treadplate pre -> XXL with sm57 on axis

Zakk sounded more fuller to me or may be Ive cut too much lows on a screamer.
what do you guys think?

the zakk definitely sounded better to me as well, but I think you could get there with the Pod's distortions. I prefer the Line 6 Drive over the Screamer, but either works. Yes, don't cut as much bass, maybe even boost the bass parameter. If it's flubbing up the bass too much, cut some off with a mid-focus EQ.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Anybody got a link to a good clean tone? Getting the hd500 tomorrow and need to set up the patches within 2/3 hours, so a good clean to start from would be great.

It shouldn't too difficult to construct one using the new SLO clean amp, sounds pretty good straight out of the box but there may not be as many patches relating to it as others yet because it's quite new.

meambobbo

Reaction score
lil new trick I've found really makes a patch more natural sounding, but only applies when you are using "dual cabs".

On the "dark cab", bump the E.R. to around 10-20%. I usually use 15%. On the bright cab use 0% E.R. This is regardless if the patch is for lead or rhythm.

You don't get the between two brick walls feel that is normally associated with E.R. - that quick echo sound that's way too noticeable and artificial. The highs stay crisp and tight. And even though you're basically adding ambiance to the bass and warm mids, they don't sound ambient, just thicker and more natural. Otherwise a tight tone sounds too tight and dry - like you're going DI rather than actually mic'ing something in a room.

Purelojik

Reaction score
Alright guys i made a Clean patch. or two actually

lemme know if anyone wants em. I had a chat with Jim Soloway briefly after buying his Bare Handed CD which is just him, his guitar, and the pod hd with an amazing clean patch. he actually sent me his patches but i realized that they just wont work with high output modern pickups.

so i made my own patch with his idea in mind.

https://soundcloud.com/shehatesmytie/clean-tone-test-pod-hd

there are two clean patches running left and right. lemme know what you think.

EDIT: both are using the SOLO clean amp

Kristianx510

Reaction score
Does anyone else think it is a lot easier to get good sounding patches when going DI? I just recorded my POD for the first time, and when I dialed in my new patch it sounded not only better than my live patch, but I barely had to tweak anything.

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
Does anyone else think it is a lot easier to get good sounding patches when going DI? I just recorded my POD for the first time, and when I dialed in my new patch it sounded not only better than my live patch, but I barely had to tweak anything.

In POD we trust.

Yeah DI is the only way I use mine.

Alex6534

Reaction score
Well I got my pod hd500 yesterday, literally had 30 minutes to set it up prior to soundcheck :lol: but I downloaded Meambobbo's scar symmetry patch and a clean alter bridge one from custom tone. It sound decent enough for minimal tweaking, but didn't have enough time to sort out a lead patch. The sound guy was head over heels for us at the fact he could shut up/mix the guitars without screaming louder than our singer.

EDIT: One question, I bought a ts115A as well, but when I turned up to the gig the sound guy wasn't keen on it being used because then he'd have to adjust everything as it would be unbalanced. Do you's think it's worth having your own speaker just in case? I'll be using it for rehearsals but not sure if I'll take it to gigs, if the sound guy won't even use it :lol:. Also, my other guitarist doesn't have his yet and I realised that the speaker had two xlr inputs, what's it like running both guitars into one monitor?

ALAN_C

Reaction score
any suggest for sounds like suhr badger 18 amp ? I would want to setup some kind like that amp .. but seem fail lol ...