PodHdBean

Reaction score
hold down the view button it should be on 4/6 page
studio/direct is where u wanna set it if your using monitors
Screamer is at 0%, gain is at 20%. Still ridiculously fizzy. I'm not sure if I'm running studio direct or not. How do I tell?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Started a new patch based on two Bogner Ubers in sync, liking it, not as processed, though I'm worried it might sound boxy in the mix. Will find out Wednesday!

Anyone else try and keep all their patches on the same cabs and mics so they at least sound a bit similar live?

meambobbo

Reaction score
Just downloaded MeAmBobbo's patches...... :eek:

No Meshuggah Riffs?????!! by Dan Schmid on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Great job with those man, at first when I played with them i was like ehhhh

Then when i played with them in a mix and double tracked them I was stoked :D

:yesway:

Yes, I had received a number of complaints that they weren't teh brootz in the low-end, and i actually went back and made them super thick, but then when I started A/B'ing them to actual recordings, I couldn't find a single mix where the guitars actually had that much bass. So I ended up maybe making them a little more bottom heavy, but I'm sure many people are still like, "Where is my chug?!"

DMONSTER

SS.org Dweller
Reaction score
Yes, I had received a number of complaints that they weren't teh brootz in the low-end, and i actually went back and made them super thick, but then when I started A/B'ing them to actual recordings, I couldn't find a single mix where the guitars actually had that much bass. So I ended up maybe making them a little more bottom heavy, but I'm sure many people are still like, "Where is my chug?!"

Yeah man, im going to try running them through some separate IR's in my DAW when i get the chance to later, have you tried doing that with any of these yet? Just curious on if with different IR's if theyd sound better for example with some Redwirez Mesa impulses :hbang:

meambobbo

Reaction score
Yeah man, im going to try running them through some separate IR's in my DAW when i get the chance to later, have you tried doing that with any of these yet? Just curious on if with different IR's if theyd sound better for example with some Redwirez Mesa impulses :hbang:

I messed with the RedWirez a bit and yeah they sound great - a bit more clarity in the high end for sure, and many more options for mic placement/angle. But for me I wanted authentic-sounding tones of a wide variety of artists and the ability to switch at the tap of a footswitch. and I wanted others to share my experience without having to purchase additional gear. The onboard cabs certainly weren't doing it for me on their own at first, but with the Cab DEP's and using dual cabs to get a great response across the frequency spectrum, to be honest, I think I PREFER the HD onboard cabs. That being said, I haven't spent nearly as much time tweaking tones using RedWirez or trying to use two RedWirez IR's at once.

So my only advice is to be careful with my patches trying to use external IR's. A lot of the EQ'ing is baked into the cabs I'm using. I'd just mute channel B then tweak the amp EQ's on Channel A until it's in the ballpark. You may need to mess with the EQ effects as well.

Generally I found I didn't need to use as much EQ effects (behind the amp) when using the RedWirez. I also found I prefered the 1"-2" IR's better than the really close or farther away ones. And I can't remember exactly but the on axis, cap edge or similar were my prefered position. The off axis also sounds good - better than the hd's onboard off axis sim.

regardless of which IR's you use, you're probably going to want to use the Mid-Focus EQ (or a low pass in your DAW) to trim a bit of the fizzy high end. But of course that depends on which IR you use. I tend to be a 57 on axis bring on the brightness type of guy

meambobbo

Reaction score
some general advice about the F-Ball and Treadplate amps...

the F-Ball can get pretty gritty in the high end if you do not attenuate highs before the amp. A Screamer actually attenuates some highs if you don't boost the "treble" param. Esp if you use "auto" impedance - if it's the first in the chain, then you get 230K impedance.

I've found if I want to use the F-Ball with nothing in front, I use 230 K impedance to keep it from getting too harsh and gritty. My PREFERENCE, however, is to use 1M or 3.5M and use a Mid-Focus EQ to roll-off the highs with precise control. I'll set LP freq to 100% and Q to 25% and slowly move the freq down until the tone isn't harsh or gritty for mid-neck leads but is still crunchy as F.

The Treadplate is boomy as F, especially with the XXL cab. A Screamer or EQ in front can help tame that, but if that's not the tone you want, I like to use a Parametric EQ with freq around 15% and cut until the boominess doesn't dominate your tone.

Shask

Reaction score
I like my sounds to have WAY more bass than your original presets, but I tend to like overly-bassy sounds :) I will check out the new ones once the setlist is updated... :yesway:

PodHdBean

Reaction score
is it just me or do all the hi gain amps even some mid gain amps sound bad and muddy unless u put the screamer in front?
my pickups cant be this bad =/

meambobbo

Reaction score
The uber is particularly muddy for me. I find the treadplate is a bit boomy but not muddy. But I do use bright pickups (Steve's special).

I prefer to use pre-eq rather than a screamer - more transparent and controlled alteration of the tone.

meambobbo

Reaction score
As for the bass in my patches, volume level really matters as to the perception of bass balanced against other frequencies. To get thick bass at lower volumes you have to put lots of it in there. And the lower the frequency the higher the spl you need. At higher volumes everything is more even regarding actual spl and perception of volume. But also at higher volumes bass nodes and other room imperfections for acoustics hurt the frequency balance

I'm not saying I'm "correct" (whatever that means) about the amount of bass in my patches. I need to do more research on different monitors and different volumes and different rooms. I just want ppl to consider that when they judge the bass levels.

PodHdBean

Reaction score
:metal:
As for the bass in my patches, volume level really matters as to the perception of bass balanced against other frequencies. To get thick bass at lower volumes you have to put lots of it in there. And the lower the frequency the higher the spl you need. At higher volumes everything is more even regarding actual spl and perception of volume. But also at higher volumes bass nodes and other room imperfections for acoustics hurt the frequency balance

I'm not saying I'm "correct" (whatever that means) about the amount of bass in my patches. I need to do more research on different monitors and different volumes and different rooms. I just want ppl to consider that when they judge the bass levels.