MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
ok, so the SLOverdrive is the best model on here. The warm response it has is incredible. SO WARM. Maybe not the tightest 5150-esque metal tone (at least from my early attempts at one), but it dominates for leads and all hard rock tones. VERY responsive to dynamics - a model that truly cleans up when turning down the volume knob. I easily see this working for Petrucci and Vai tones - just dial in the Vai with a Distortion effect in front for a fatter, rounder breakup tone, and make the Petrucci tone tighter and djentier.

I've also found that while I can't fit delay and reverb when using "dual cab" patches due to the higher DSP constraints, I can get a great sound by using a delay as well as using some E.R. to simulate reverb. Not as much control as a real reverb, and I usually don't like it, but it works here. will post clips/patches later. will make my own thread.

I use Treadplate/57 on aixs + Greenbacks/121. I put an FX Loop on the channel with the Greenbacks/121, and just run a patch cable between send receive. This syncs up the two channels, so the sound is tight and has a full frequency response.

For effects, I have a Noise Gate, Line 6 Drive, Digital Delay, and Mid-Focus EQ. To simulate Reverb, I use 20% E.R. on the Greenbacks/121 and 15% E.R. on the Tread/57 on axis.

I ended up preferring the SLO crunch myself, for leads stuff.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

meambobbo

Reaction score
Any chance of a sitar based patch, I asked a question on how to create this a while ago, tried it, failed

I would use bridge pickup, a Pitch Glide with a fixed .1 pitch setting for a slight detune effect (play with mix to get it right), and pick as close to the bridge as possible. Another thing you can do, although probably not on the fly is to wrap the very end of your strings in aluminum foil or loosely hold a metal slide against them. I wouldn't use any amp model, cab, etc. You want the least amount of compression possible to preserve a sharp attack. Maybe just EQ to get the frequency spectrum right.

meambobbo

Reaction score
I ended up preferring the SLO crunch myself, for leads stuff.

I briefly demo'd that and the clean. Need to get more into it tonight. I did find the clean was all I could ask for. responds well to pick attack - can get 100% clean but also push to breakup without exhibiting the nastier crossover distortion of the fenders.

MobiusR

Thall, that is all
Reaction score
I briefly demo'd that and the clean. Need to get more into it tonight. I did find the clean was all I could ask for. responds well to pick attack - can get 100% clean but also push to breakup without exhibiting the nastier crossover distortion of the fenders.

Do you think the clean is better than a BF Double?

meambobbo

Reaction score
what does "better" mean? hehe - I love a fat, spankin' Fender clean tone. But i also want a clean with a tiny bit of purr, that doesn't have the more crackly, vintage breakup of the Fender. So for the purring breakup and more glassy pure clean, I'd probably go SLO, but for a more fat, funky, vintage clean I'd go Fender - twin or deluxe reverb - not sure. but with the Fenders, I do like to use the Fender 2x12 regardless of which model I use. not sure about cabs yet with the SLO. PhD is always a good option, as well as the Fenders, or maybe even a 4x12.

ArrowHead

Reaction score
and i need $$$$ in my bank account! i'll see what i can do, but in the meantime please take a look at the giant button next to where my site says "tone requests?" :evil:

Sorry man, that $$ is set aside for when you put some original tunes up here for us.

legolas151

Reaction score
Hey,

I did the new update and suddenly my HD 500 won't turn on anymore - the only thing that appears on screen is the Line 6 logo.

Anyone has had the same problems? Anyone knows what might the problem be?

Thanks

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
Hey,

I did the new update and suddenly my HD 500 won't turn on anymore - the only thing that appears on screen is the Line 6 logo.

Anyone has had the same problems? Anyone knows what might the problem be?

Thanks

You actually HAVE to reset your unit before updating. Back up your tones first! Hold the "left" button while turning it on.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
it's discussed on the previous page.

Use Line 6 Monkey and go from top to bottom on the main screen

1. Drivers
2. HD500
3. HD500 edit

I followed this last night with no problems.

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
Update went smoothly - too bad I'll have to wait until this weekend to play with all the new amp models.

abandonist

Banned
Reaction score
I'm asking a fool's question. Is there a way to use this into a regular amplifier? Or is it dedicated to computer use/recording only?

I realize my amp will color the tones produced somewhat, but these are interesting to me if I can essentially use it as a stomp box.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
I'm asking a fool's question. Is there a way to use this into a regular amplifier? Or is it dedicated to computer use/recording only?

I realize my amp will color the tones produced somewhat, but these are interesting to me if I can essentially use it as a stomp box.

Lots of ways to use it with a regular amplifier, either into the front, into the return on the FX loop, which bypasses the preamp of the amp, or the four cable method as someone else mentioned. I'm doing well just going into the return of the FX loop, that's what I do when I play live or practice with the boys.

flv75

Reaction score
Do you know if there are new presets with the new update or remain the old setlists ?

ScatteredDimension

Sixstring Regular
Reaction score
I have a problem. I'm using guitar impulse through Pod HD bean in Reaper and the playing comes with a little delay from my speakers (like half a second) and it's makes recording pretty much impossible with the impulse... I can of course track with just the disabled amp sound and add the impulse afterwards, but it sounds like shit and I'd like to record with the tone from the impulse.

Thx in advance and sorry if this problem has been covered here before.

meambobbo

Reaction score
I have a problem. I'm using guitar impulse through Pod HD bean in Reaper and the playing comes with a little delay from my speakers (like half a second) and it's makes recording pretty much impossible with the impulse... I can of course track with just the disabled amp sound and add the impulse afterwards, but it sounds like shit and I'd like to record with the tone from the impulse.

Thx in advance and sorry if this problem has been covered here before.

it's been debated places about the bandwidth of USB vs. Firewire interfaces. I don't know how much computer architecture/processor speed factors in as well. But with my M-Audio Firewire Solo interface, my latency, via SPDIF, is 3 ms. It's not noticeable. A half second is 500 ms.

I believe you can set your buffer size for your interface on your ASIO driver's control panel. Try lowering your buffer. The lower you go, the less latency you will have, but the more exposed you are to pops and clicks and dropouts.

The other option is to turn your patch into a dual amp patch and use identical settings in each channel, but use cab/mic sims in one channel and "no cab" in the other. Place the FX Loop last in the chain before the mixer for the channel with "no cab" and use the FX Loop send to send the signal to your DAW. Then mute that channel in the Pod's mixer. The Pod's outputs will now carry a signal with the Pod's cab/mic sims, which you can monitor via headphones. Or also send them to your DAW but record them, just monitor them.

If you are using the Pod as your interface or otherwise can't run the FX Loop send to your DAW, you could do the same thing as above, but pan each channel hard left/right in the mixer. Set up mono tracks in your DAW to capture each and only monitor the one with cab/mic sim from the Pod, but record the other.

It's not exactly what you want, but it's similar.