This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
For me, the main purpose of my POD HD is having exactly the same tone for recording and live playing.
I have tried your tones and I wonder what guitar are you using. I am using EMGs 707 (X bridge) with mahogany body, rosewood fretboard and maple neck. Your tones sound incredibly muddy on their own, I always have to turn mid/treb/pres much, much higher.
Please, share your FAS sound with us.
What post processing do you normally use?

Bobbo, how do you pan them? How much do you cut with mid focus EQ?

My tones sound muddy or Bobbo's?

I don't ever play live so my tones are all for recording purposes. I share the fas patch a page or so ago, but I tweaked it a bit since then.

I'm using an ibanez rg927qm with a crunchlab and an ibanez rga8 with d-activators. So I test all my tones with two different guitars with different woods and different pickups :)

Also, you shouldn't need to crank all the knobs on the preamp. Compared to a real amp they don't do much anyway. My settings are always in the 50-80% range and then I add eqs from there.

Oh, and one thing I should point out if your playing live and through a poweramp/cab, put your ears down in front of the speaker to test if you need more treble/presence. If you hear the shrill ice pick sound, the answer is no. Let the audience hear the same tone as you do.

meambobbo

Reaction score
I pan both channels dead center - trying to blend them into one nice mono tone. Any stereo fx put after the mixer. And the mid focus I usually do high pass freq 10-25% q 30-65% and low pass freq 78-88% q 10-50%. Gain I use to level my patch. I find the mid focus can clip on hot input so I'm conservative on that side. But you don't want gain over ~60% or it starts clipping

That seems like a wide range for the mid focus but I adjust q inverse to frequency. So it has about the same effect either way, but you gotta dial it in to really get as much frequency in there without it sounding unbalanced. So I start with the q real high and if I find its too fizzy or boomy I start reducing q and lowering/raising frequency to compensate.

And keep in mind anything above about 55% q is actually boosting the cutoff frequency. This works great if you need more punch but you don't want to sound boomy. I like high pass freq around 23% then boost q until you like the sound. I find usually 60-65% is enough. But I've actually gotten good tones at 100%

Nemonic

Reaction score
My tones sound muddy or Bobbo's?
I mean yours, and I have not tried Bobbo's yet due to cracked USB.
To make it clear - your soundclips sound absolutely incredible. With my guitar, the patches sound awful.
I think it is because I mostly tweak my tone on its own. Sometimes I tweak it along with my bass and drums.
Another thing is that if I want to play live, I should listen to my sound through a decent PA system.
I git a sort of over-brightening ilness. I see that people use the XXL with 57 off axis. For me, it sounds way too muddy. Recently, I have found myself using Hiway with 57 on axis, which sounds like the brightest combination.
What do you do to get rid of that annoying harsh that the Tread cabinet produces?

meambobbo

Reaction score
I find that muddiness for me means you have too much bass before your distortion whereas it sounds boomy when you have too much low bass after distortion. Try a mid focus in the front of your chain. Set both q's to 55% and low pass freq to 100%. Then sweep the high pass freq from 0% to about 30%. If you have to use a high value to get the muddiness out but your tone becomes too thin, reduce hp q and start over

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
I mean yours, and I have not tried Bobbo's yet due to cracked USB.
To make it clear - your soundclips sound absolutely incredible. With my guitar, the patches sound awful.
I think it is because I mostly tweak my tone on its own. Sometimes I tweak it along with my bass and drums.
Another thing is that if I want to play live, I should listen to my sound through a decent PA system.
I git a sort of over-brightening ilness. I see that people use the XXL with 57 off axis. For me, it sounds way too muddy. Recently, I have found myself using Hiway with 57 on axis, which sounds like the brightest combination.
What do you do to get rid of that annoying harsh that the Tread cabinet produces?

I usually tweak my tones until they sound pretty good with my setup and then test them in a mix.

I'll post my mid focus eq settings after I get for anyone that wants them. I've finally got them to be the exact same as the high and low pass that I use when mixing in cubase. Thereby eliminating the need to use them when mixing.

As I said before, you should check how bright things are in front if the speakers and at jam volume. When you stand beside a 4x12 it's sound killer and not too bright. Stand in front of it, and the highs are way too much. Too much highs at loud volumes are unpleasant for listeners. Let the audience hear the same tone as you. Not to mention that you make friends with the sound guy easily if they don't need to eq your tone at all :)

Nemonic

Reaction score
Bobbo, I really appreciate that. Thank you. I will try it when I get home.
I got used to use just Screamer and post eq from my POD XT. I always turn down the bass knob on the HD's Screamer, but it is not perfect. I do not like naming equalizer's parameter like Bass, Lows, Highs.

meambobbo

Reaction score
I recommend keeping the screamer's bass knob between 40 and 60%. Trying to use it to reduce mud doesn't work very well. By the time you get the mud out your tone is completely thin and harsh.

RobPhoboS

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've got some old distortion pedals I want to have a play with alongside the POD. Do you have any advice (prior to me spending 6+ hours twiddling away :D), when using some kind of distortion pedal into the pod ?
The way I used to do it, was to run the guitar into distortion/fuzz box - then into the amp on a clean channel and tweak until I was happy.

I'll still probably end up trying that out anyway but was just curious as to how others are messing with these things :)

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've got some old distortion pedals I want to have a play with alongside the POD. Do you have any advice (prior to me spending 6+ hours twiddling away :D), when using some kind of distortion pedal into the pod ?
The way I used to do it, was to run the guitar into distortion/fuzz box - then into the amp on a clean channel and tweak until I was happy.

I'll still probably end up trying that out anyway but was just curious as to how others are messing with these things :)

I would suggest trying them into the high gain amps with the drive turned down to basically zero

OR, you could just use the pod as an interface with no amp model and use external ir's to make them not sound like shit.

RobPhoboS

Reaction score
Thanks for the speedy reply :)
I'll give that a shot when it's a more social hour here !

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
May be using my HD Pro out tomorrow night. I'm starting to RTFM, but in the interim...to go directly to PA, is there a "mode" specifically for that, use the Power Amp output setting, or what?

meambobbo

Reaction score
May be using my HD Pro out tomorrow night. I'm starting to RTFM, but in the interim...to go directly to PA, is there a "mode" specifically for that, use the Power Amp output setting, or what?

No, "studio/direct". Open the link in my sig, click the first link for the tone guide, then click the pod setup section. I'd direct link you but I can't open my site at work. It explains fairly briefly the different output modes.

"Studio/Direct" is for studio or direct to board use. Essentially, all it does is enable cab/mic simulation. In the other output modes, mic modelling is disabled, and all the cab selection does is use some EQ to "voice" your tone more similarly to the speakers/cab selected.

"Power amp" means running into a guitar amp's power section and subsequently using a guitar-oriented speaker/cab, which does not reproduce the insane, harsh high-end produced by distorted amplifiers.

In all modes, "no cab" as you cab/mic selection will get you the same tone, although the front output modes also include a global EQ to voice things a bit more "acceptable" to your guitar amp's preamp.

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
No, "studio/direct". Open the link in my sig, click the first link for the tone guide, then click the pod setup section. I'd direct link you but I can't open my site at work. It explains fairly briefly the different output modes.

"Studio/Direct" is for studio or direct to board use. Essentially, all it does is enable cab/mic simulation. In the other output modes, mic modelling is disabled, and all the cab selection does is use some EQ to "voice" your tone more similarly to the speakers/cab selected.

"Power amp" means running into a guitar amp's power section and subsequently using a guitar-oriented speaker/cab, which does not reproduce the insane, harsh high-end produced by distorted amplifiers.

In all modes, "no cab" as you cab/mic selection will get you the same tone, although the front output modes also include a global EQ to voice things a bit more "acceptable" to your guitar amp's preamp.
Awesome, thanks!

friez256

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just put this out for free so take a listen if you want. Everything used for instruments was a POD HD500. Let me know what you think, I'd give out some tones if you dig it. Really enjoying everything the POD has done for me so far Paper Cut

TallestFiddle

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just put this out for free so take a listen if you want. Everything used for instruments was a POD HD500. Let me know what you think, I'd give out some tones if you dig it. Really enjoying everything the POD has done for me so far Paper Cut

Really cool! I like the 2nd track, I love that speech and it sounds cool with such a soft relaxing song. The tones are pretty cool, I'd like to see the clean tone. And do you do the bass with the pod?