Little Victories

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
I didn't know where else to post this. If there's a more appropriate area than 'off topic', please let me know.

I did something pretty cool earlier this week, and I wanted to not only share what I did, but start a thread in which we could all share the 'little victories' we achieve in our day to day lives.

I'll start:

I've been wrestling with my car's audio system for about 2 years now. Most of my trouble has been revolving around a pair of powered subs I have under each seat. (This is the model: Blaupunkt THb 200A Compact powered subwoofer 70-watt amp with an 8" sub at Crutchfield.com)

When I first installed them, and for the following 2 years, I had severe trouble with noise coming through the RCA inputs I was using on each sub. I tried grounding them in a bajillion different places, using a variety of different methods, and nothing made a difference. The end result of this was that I had to use these little ground-loop-isolator units, which severely cut the decibels from each sub. I had to have the volume on each sub completely maxed out in order to get respectable output from them.

About 2 months ago (among several unrelated mechanical issues that led to my car turning into a money pit) they just up and stopped working completely. When I'd turn the key to start the car, I could see their power indication lights turning on for the briefest of moments, then immediately cut out again. I couldn't figure out what the hell the problem was. Finally, on a whim I decided to ditch the RCA cables completely and try the speaker-level inputs instead. BINGO. Now the subs sounded AMAZING.

Still, there was a new problem. When using the RCA cables, the subs automatically shut off whenever signal to them was cut off. After switching to the speaker-level inputs, this no longer took place. I had to unplug them every time I got out of the car, which was kind of a pain in the ass.

Fast forward to Monday night. I got paid, carried my ass to Radio Shack and bought a $2 on/off rocker switch, then came home and got to work. Long story short, below is a photo of the end result (the switch I installed is the third from the left), and a shitty diagram I threw together in Paint.net to illustrate how I installed it:

200224_1767735426661_1037431444_31977048_7192015_n.jpg

carwiring.jpg

So now, at the flip of a switch: Subs turn on, subs turn off. Subs turn on, subs turn off. VICTORY!!

Now, for your own victories! :yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DVRP

The HUMANCENTiPAD
Reaction score
My buddy was in school for becoming an electrician and he would spend alot of time doing stuff like this to his car. I think he even wired in a switch that would turn underglow in the car on lol.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
My buddy was in school for becoming an electrician and he would spend alot of time doing stuff like this to his car. I think he even wired in a switch that would turn underglow in the car on lol.

I have a tendency to fail at this stuff miserably, which is why I'm so proud of having pulled it off; especially on the first try. The prospect of me doing anything electrical is about equal to the prospect of an 85 year old learning how to use the internet. ;)

highlordmugfug

themuthaphukkindeath
Reaction score
I'm not really sure if this counts, but I'll own a pre-fender Model T pretty soon.
But that's kind of a huge victory in my eyes.