Live attire

• Thread starter Skullet
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
I am a punk rock slob.

My jeans are always torn because I don't own any that aren't.
But I usually take great care what t shirt I wear.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Norsemen

A Viking
Reaction score
Shorts.
I have one pair of shorts at a time I attach myself too and wear for a year or so before it is
too ripped to wear in public. I just recently switched to some new shorts because I wanted
to look nice performing at Mayhem Fest, but I may bust out my old ones for local shows.

Other than that somewhere between a tshirt and no shirt and we're good.

Probably take my glasses off too.

Luke Acacia

STRAYA
Reaction score
When I was first starting out I was really pedantic about how I looked and how everyone else looked. Now days if its a local show that will have less than 100 people I just wear some jeans and a black shirt or some shirt repping a tv show but when its a bigger shirt or a support or a tour I wear jeans with a button up black shirt.
It helps hide my love handles.

nshaw12

Reaction score
In the spring/summer, I wear a band tank (I don't buy band t-shirts, or really any t-shirt with graphics or writing on it) and some light shorts. I either go shoeless or wear my hemp Vans.

In the fall/winter, I dress up (kind of) - I wear something like Herb's attire, except I roll up my sleeves and I don't usually wear a hat. If I do wear a hat, it's a driver cap. I'm waiting to scrounge up some funds to get this for those shows:
71slA9FF0VL_SL1500_.jpg

I wish I could say that was me.

iRaiseTheDead

Ashes Of Rebirth
Reaction score
I typically just dress as I normally do - nice fitting t-shirt, nice jeans, obnoxiously large and bright green skate shoes.

However, there was this one time....

l.jpg

(You can't really tell because of the intense sepia but I am also wearing hot pink fishnets on my legs. Was a fun show to say the least.)

I've come to 2 assumptions...

A. a drunken night...
B. you lost a bet

\m/

Idaho

Reaction score
I've worn a few different things. Mainly combats and tshirt. In one band we had a bit of and all black look... then there was the phase of body paint.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
We dress random. Usually basketball shorts, with death metal tee and or a jersey....with high tops and long sicks. We are the goofballs of metal around here. Music is serious...we are...not so much

Edit.... Look at pic to left.

Enselmis

Reaction score
High tops, skinny jeans, blazer. Gotta be classy. Think Devin Townsend but less bald.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
Anyone who doesn't dress up a certain way that is fitting with their music/genre/band is an idiot. Flat out.

I always hate it when I go to see a show and everyone is wearing something different that's their own "style". It just doesn't work. It gives the crowd the impression not that you are each unique individuals, but that you don't care about what you do. A band opening for one of my current projects (Indie Rock sort of) had 5 gents, all of them dressed differently. One was nerdy hipster, one was just typical hipster, one was a skate, one was dressed sort of hip-hop, and the other was just wearing a t-shirt and athletic shorts. Extremely unprofessional. I dress more punk/metal/alternative but when I play a show with these guys I put on a nice shirt and some blue jeans. A soft plaid button up maybe, or a polo even, as long as it fits with the rest of the band and the style you play.

My personal rules:
- No shorts, ever. The only exception is jean shorts if you are playing an outdoor show and you play in a hardcore/punk/metal band because it still fits in that context. Otherwise it just makes you look like you don't care.
- Fit the style, but don't get uniforms. Sometimes it's cool if you all have the same outfit, but most of the time it's better if you all look similar but with your own personality.
- To expand on the previous point but also significant on its own, if you all have different styles at least choose one thing to stay the same. "Just wear black shirts at least. V-Neck, T-shirt whatever, just as long as it's black." or "Let's all wear some kind of button-up shirt, with or without a shirt underneath, open or closed, whatever" Something as simple as that will make you look like a band instead of an amateur high school talent show.

myampslouder

Reaction score
Normally when i'm playing a show I'm wearing some cargo shorts and some sort of t shirt usually black and if it's hot the t-shirt will have the sleeves cut off. A black sweat band on wrist of my picking hand and sometimes a hat. I've stopped wearing them as much for shows because usually it flies off while headbanging.

JoeyW

Reaction score
It really depends. If I'm on tour I usually stop caring about what I'm wearing after a few shows/days without a shower. If it's a hometown show I try and make a point to buy another one of the other bands playing's shirts and wear that.

larry

". . . . . . . ."
Reaction score
when i was in a band playing shows,
we all dressed differently. but the stage
presence really helped with the overall
cohesive appearance. we all got 'into it'
and weren't affraid to get funky, which
really made shows fun for everybody.

i already don't fit the "profile" of an individual
who'd play guitar for a metal band, so for shows
i'd really exploit that.... i'd buy new clothes for
certain shows. fresh metallic denims, some fly-ass
high-tops and a nice shirt. i liked that no one ever
pegged me for the guitarist, until after curtains up
and i went ape-shit:shred:.

the lineup consisted of me and 3 other white guys,
so most folks thought i was the singer.:lol:...
boy were they wrong.

Augminished

Augminished Studio
Reaction score
When I was gigging, I would always wear my traditional scottish kilt. In that band, I was playing bagpipes and guitar. Everyone thought it was pretty bad ass and no, we did not sound anything like korn. :squint: :lol:

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
I just wear what I have on. I've never cared for the "look" thing.

Amalloy

Reaction score
Anyone who doesn't dress up a certain way that is fitting with their music/genre/band is an idiot. Flat out.

I always hate it when I go to see a show and everyone is wearing something different that's their own "style". It just doesn't work. It gives the crowd the impression not that you are each unique individuals, but that you don't care about what you do.

I couldn't agree more! One of the things most people don't immediately recognize is most (Not all, though) bands that 'made it,' generally have some cohesion for attire when they're on stage.
As for my own personal preferences; Shorts! Shorts! Shorts! Shorts! And generally a black T, or band T. Since I sweat a lot (Like most Drummers!) I can't afford to have my legs constricted by jeans that are sopping wet.
Unfortunately, some situations will call for fashion to be ditched for function.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
with my metal band - jeans and a black shirt.

with my hardcore band - black shirt, or random band shirt and my b-ball shorts. I tend to jump around and move around much more (songs are much easier to play) with the hardcore band so shorts feel much more comfortable to play in.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
I can't afford to have my legs constricted by jeans that are sopping wet.

... I think you're doing it wrong. :nuts:

Haha. Drummers are fine to wear shorts in my opinion, but the rules I said above about shorts apply to everyone else, in my opinion.