Live vocal processing

• Thread starter theronaldchase
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

theronaldchase

Reaction score
Currently in a writing phase with some friends, but I have been playing with the idea of starting to use backing tracks and a click track live to make the performances as tight as they can be. However one thing I am curious about is what you guys are using for live vocal processing? Initially I thought about getting a TC Voicelive for the vocalist, but what about doing it all in box from the laptop running the click/samples? Anyone here doing that, and if so, how are you going about that without a ton of latency?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
Currently in a writing phase with some friends, but I have been playing with the idea of starting to use backing tracks and a click track live to make the performances as tight as they can be. However one thing I am curious about is what you guys are using for live vocal processing? Initially I thought about getting a TC Voicelive for the vocalist, but what about doing it all in box from the laptop running the click/samples? Anyone here doing that, and if so, how are you going about that without a ton of latency?

Sorry I didn't see this before, I know its been ages since you posted!

I use a Behringer XR12 rack mixer to do my effects (and everything else - my IEMs, my send to the mixer) controlled with a Morningstar MC6 midi foot controller.

The inbuilt effects aren't spectacular, but they are very servicable. Plenty of reverbs and delays and choruses. There is a tube amp simulator if you really want to do horrible things to your voice, although it is a bit of a feedback trap.

The latency is very very low. I can't say zero, but I am quite sensitive to latency and I can't hear it at all.

The midi control takes a little finesse, and you really need to get into using pre-saved snapshots instead of manipulating faders, but once you're set up it works very well.

If there are specific effects you can only get from a pedal or piece of rack kit, then you can send your mic to an aux out at line level, then take that signal into the other kit, then bring it back into the mixer through a line level input, like an FX loop on a guitar amp.

Having a proper mixer is also useful for lots of other reasons - You have a proper set of channel strip controls to set your mic up properly. Input gain, compressor, noise gate and a proper EQ section.

It just works well, honestly. Pipe in your click and your other instruments from wherever and you're good to go. I'm really happy I invested in mine. No, it's not studio quality effects, but they are good solid effects and it is super helpful to have a proper EQ with built in spectrum analyser so you can handle feedback problems and such like.