Lo-pro Edge Spring change issue

• Thread starter NoodleFace
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Hey guys.

The other day I changed out my Lo-pro edge 7 springs from the 3 ibanez stock springs to 4 floyd rose brand noiseless (black) springs - reason being was I didn't have 4 matching springs so just wanted to get 4 of the same. Tension is a little less on the floyd springs, but I performed a full setup and the guitar plays well.

However.. I'm having a bitch of a problem with the G-string. if I dive or bend hard the note goes WAY out of tune.

The weird thing is if I dive the note goes massively sharp, if I pull up the note almost returns to pitch. This is the only string having issues, or at least the other ones are not affected as much.

Should I lubricate the knife edges? Try different strings (these were new, and I stretched them)? Try to go back to the ibanez springs?

I'm feeling like a dumbass because it feels like the knife edges aren't returning to 0, but I've never had a floyd where if you dive the note goes way sharp. It's tuned to F and it's almost hitting F# when I dive and return.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Further experiment shows it is definitely not returning to zero until I pull up, actually at a very noticeable amount.

tedtan

Reaction score
That and make sure that the springs aren’t hitting anything in the back trem cavity when the trem is depressed, too.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
The weird thing is if I dive the note goes massively sharp, if I pull up the note almost returns to pitch. This is the only string having issues, or at least the other ones are not affected as much.

Yea, that's pretty queer. Lube, check clearance, give it some vibe. The only thing I can think is that your bridge isn't actually zeroed, but this doesn't seem to be the case or not strictly the case.

FWIW every single floating bridge I have ever met wouldn't return perfectly to tune unless you let it settle from the pitch down position. I'm massively anal (last one) about proper tune so it bothers me, most folks tend to not notice it until they're at the tuner dialing it in and some never do.

Lube your nut as well (I lied).

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
I got it to work...

I did lube the knife edges which helped a little. Then I went absolutely ape shit on the trem as far in each direction as I could go for 10 minutes. That seemed to stretch the springs enough that they settled.

jl-austin

Reaction score
I can't remember the guitar, but I did the same thing, replace the factory springs with floyd rose. The floyd rose springs were a little longer. so that when I dived on the tremolo the springs would actually come off the claw. I would suggest looking at the back while its diving, make sure its mechanically sound.

If I remember correctly the floyd rose springs had more tension than the springs I replaced, so I didn't need as many.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Good to hear. String stretchers are a must have tool if you own a trem.