Lo-Pro Restringing Question

• Thread starter Miek
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Miek

POSTING ON INTERNET
Reaction score
Since the fine tuners adjust the bars underneath the tailplate of the bridge where you would usually put something in place to hold a floyd level while you restring, it seems like it would be unwise to put something under there. Would it be okay to do so, or is holding the trem in place like that during a restring a no go?

Matt08642

Reaction score
Since the fine tuners adjust the bars underneath the tailplate of the bridge where you would usually put something in place to hold a floyd level while you restring, it seems like it would be unwise to put something under there. Would it be okay to do so, or is holding the trem in place like that during a restring a no go?

I've personally never had a problem shoving a rag in there for my 7620. I just aim to make it close to level, tune up as best I can, then take the rag out and work on fine adjustments.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I typically place something (a 9V cell for example) in between the trem block and the wood behind the bridge in the trem cavity (if you are looking at the trem springs, with the neck pointing up, the place is below the block of metal where the springs anchor to the bridge).

I do this before I remove the old strings. Then the bridge doesn't move very much during the process. I'll usually set the fine tuners somewhere between 2/3 and 3/4 of the way out (it seems like they gradually work their way down as the strings stretch and age), restring, tune, stretch the strings, retune, and then, if the block doesn't drop out on its own, I'll tighten the springs until it does, that way the bridge is pretty much perfectly level and the guitar is in tune.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Any of that will work. Also here's a good vid:

Reaction score
I use an AAA battery under the bridge and never ever had a problem with my 6 LoPro equipped guitars (2x 6 stringers and 4x 7 stringers). You're good to go.

Blocking the trem for string change is useful so the tuning to pitch is way faster, I mean WAY WAY faster...

ManOnTheEdge

Reaction score
I have a roll of quarters (even though I’m in the UK) that I tape together to go in front of and behind the trem block in the cavity

worked well for me and I got the inspiration from Ben Eller’s youtube vid on locking trems