Long overdue NGD: VHT, Fractal, EHX, etc.

• Thread starter TheWarAgainstTime
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
It's been some time since I last documented any new gear, but that doesn't mean I haven't still been actively gear whoring :D

First up is a dual preset modded EHX Micro POG. I picked it up used from a guy who had the mod done by T1M and it's everything I hoped for. I had mentioned wanting some form of POG when I replaced the Whammy DT on my main board with a Drop and this does the job times two. The switch on the right is the normal bypass for the pedal and the left toggles between the two rows of settings. I have the top row/white LED set up to emphasize the higher octave and the bottom row/blue LED pushing mostly the lower octave. It's a nice flavor to throw over certain lead lines :yesway:

20161002_173741.jpg

20161002_173751.jpg

20161002_173800.jpg

Next are two small patch bays I built from pedal enclosures. One goes on my board and the other goes in the back of my rack. The pedalboard one is for a regular instrument signal and the TRS signal from my tap tempo so that all the cables going to my board can be the same length and easier to set up/tear down. The one for the rack is a set of stereo ins/outs to set up with two amps to run through my M9, Timeline, and Big Sky without having to reach into the rack and bump into stuff.

20161221_171109.jpg

20161221_161950.jpg

20161221_171100.jpg

20161221_170456.jpg

20170227_135626.jpg

You all know what this is...

20161212_132036.jpg

I traded my Kemper rack for the Axe straight across and bought the controller from the same guy for a steal :hbang: it's a killer unit and has way more amps and effects than I'll likely ever use, but it does exactly what I need it to. I'm mostly using it in 4CM to play at home, but have also built a bank of presets to play with headphones when I need to be quiet. So far, I feel like the unit needs to either be played through a "real" amp and cab to get the most out of it with the least "digital" qualities, though I may just need to try out some third party impulses. Recto cab impulses are a dime-a-dozen, but I'm not aware of any good impulses of VHT Fatbottom cabs, which play through the most in real life.

Last and certainly not least is a VHT Pittbull 50/CL head and 2x12 cab :D

On the way home the first day:

20170216_142834.jpg

20170216_142840.jpg

With the rest of the gear I have at my place up at school, also known as the VHT Death Squad™ (minus the UL and second Fatbottom, of course)

20170218_170000.jpg

20170218_165910.jpg

I found the pair together for a steal on Craigslist from a guy who was moving cross-state and I'm in love. The 50/CL definitely has the signature sound I've come to be used to from my Ultra Lead, but with a slightly different flavor. I have the two channels set up very similarly as high gain lead channels, but they each have their own character. Red is closer to the lead channel on the UL, and Green is a bit more raw/open and has even more dynamic touch sensitivity :eek:

I haven't bothered much with dialing in a clean sound since I'm using the Axe in 4CM, but good cleans are possible on both channels, with Red having a slight edge over Green IMO.

The last owner swapped in all new Chinese preamp tubes and winged =C= el34's and rectifier tube. I'll probably leave the preamp section alone other than a balanced Sovtek LPS for the phase inverter like I have in all of my other amps and maybe an EHX in V1. For the power section, I hope to order and try out a set of Tung Sol el34's as well as a pair of EHX 6CA7's to compare to the current tubes. I may also try a set of Mesa 6l6's I have spare since it's the older version of the amp with a selectable bias for 6l6/el34, but so far I think I like the extra mids and grind added by the el34's.

I currently have the 2x12 and Deliverance 4x12 up for sale locally for space reasons, but I'm enjoying all the tonal options for now :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

oracles

Reaction score
That VHT setup is f*cking IMMENSE. The tone coming off that must be incredible, HNGD!

MetalHead40

Reaction score
Nice! I feel like I post the same thing for every new amp day, but I do want to try some Fryette or VHT stuff someday.

Are you experimenting to see how much weight it takes to crush the Axe unit:scratch:

rexbinary

The MOD King!
Reaction score
Congrats man! That's a lot of nice stuff. Thanks for sharing!

vick1000

Reaction score
Holy VHT Batman!!!!

Do you have enough cabs? That's some serious speakage.

Where are you finding them, I couldn't find the used 412s anywhere that would ship one. Had to splurge for a new one from GC, I just got the Fryette Fatbottom P50E 412 today.

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats man! Would love to come across some Fryette/VHT stuff around here but never do.

Still have your Uber as well?

protest

Reaction score
Nice dude! The Red channel is the Ultralead preamp I'm not sure if it's exact or just modeled after it. Same thing goes for the Green channel but that's the Deliverance preamp.

I've been thinking of "upgrading" my 50cl recently to a CLX or Sig X, but I like having both the Pittbull and Deliverance style distortions. I might switch back to the 100 watter since I've been playing with it through the Torpedo live a lot now. I feel like the extra headroom might be beneficial since I'm actually cranking it up pretty nicely.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Very nice setup, looks amazing.

Personally I got burned out sorting through impulses with my Axe FX II, and all I ever used were Mesa V30 impulses, so I decided versatility be damned, and I just run it into a solidstate poweramp (so poweramp sims on in the Axe) into a 1x12 cab with a Mesa/Celestion V30.

If all you're interested in is the VHT cabs, that might be a good option!

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Congrats man! Would love to come across some Fryette/VHT stuff around here but never do.

Still have your Uber as well?

Yep, the Überschall and UL are in my main rig back at my parent's house where I can play louder. All of the other VHT stuff and the Axe are a second rig I've built up at my place closer to my college, where volume is more of an issue most of the time.

I've definitely been lucky to have found most of the VHT stuff at least semi-locally. Took me a couple of years of off-handedly looking for a UL to get the whole thing started, and now I can't seem to stop finding deals :lol:

oracles

Reaction score
Took me a couple of years of off-handedly looking for a UL to get the whole thing started, and now I can't seem to stop finding deals :lol:

I wish I had that problem...I picked up my Sig X and can't find anything VHT/Fryette at all now :/ My GAS for a UL is out of control at this point, and I definitely wouldn't say no to a few more fatbottom cabs...

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
So a bit of an update. Over the weekend I received a VHT 112a cab I bought from clintsal on here, but wasn't able to actually unbox and test it until today. Figured I might as well add it to this thread rather than start a new one for it :lol:

The 1x12 with the EVH:

20170306_150339.jpg

With the Pittbull/Fatbottom 4x12

20170306_150259.jpg

"Don't talk to me or my son or my son's son ever again"

20170306_150405.jpg

Gear Tetris

20170306_150458.jpg

This little cab is actually really cool :yesway: the P100e speaker gives a similar character to what I'm used to from my Fatbottom cabs with maybe a bit more high end, but it's hard to tell without hearing the P50e in the same enclosure to compare. It's front-loaded and ported, so it actually throws a lot more low end across the room than I had expected. Still no match for a 4x12, but it keeps up with the 2x12 pretty well in both volume and low end. I've also found that this cab benefits from cutting the mids and treble back on the amp since the smaller enclosure naturally pushes more mids/less sub bass and the sound can easily become abrasive with the same settings you'd use with a 4x12.

I still think I prefer a good ol' 4x12 for high gain playing at any volume, but the 1x12 really shines with cleans. Unlike the 2x12 and Deliverance, I forsee no plans to get rid of this cab :) it's just so convenient; I could take this mini rig to a friend's place or jam session with a lot less effort than a head/2x12 or the 6505 combo I used to own for that purpose :idea:

Bearitone

Reaction score
I'm surprised no one's ever said:
"I like my amps how I like my women... with a FatBottom"

prlgmnr

...that kind of idea
Reaction score
I like my amps like I like my women, biased hot with NOS tubes.

wait, wait.... In a stereo wet/wet setup