Looking for a 28 inch scale affordable 8 string

• Thread starter nonoxxx
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nonoxxx

Reaction score
Hello ,
I'm actually recording a lot of stuff in f# and drop E1 tuning stuff and my actuals guitars are 27 inch scale for the longest and I think I need something tighter for the low end,.
I am in search of an affordable 8 string guitar in 28 inch scale , and ideally no multiscale.
Do you have any recommendations? I have seen the schecter demon 8 , that can do the job ( I got a nazgul 8 for swapping the bridge pickup).
Thanks

NickK-UK

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I built my own 28.625" (actually 727.27mm) non-multiscale 7 string. What strings will you use?

I found 62-10 works but you will find that the 62 starts getting flabby at E1, even with the 28.625 scale. I built the guitar with 72 gauge string in mind as the tuners can (just) take that and the fretboard has space for a larger string so it has a wider fretboard (it's almost 8 string sized).
The key here is ensuring the tuners have enough string hole diameter to take larger string gauges.

At ~28" you shouldn't have a problem with string length on the head if they're not inline tuners. I would also ensure your tuners are at least 18:1 (or replace the existing tuners) as it helps being accurate with the additional tension.

I certainly would have carbon fibre rods in the neck if you want a thin neck profile. Mine is thicker and a through-neck laminate and it seems stable with a single long truss rod.

The blood red of that is really pretty with the carved top: https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/prod...MI4uqi6crGhAMVJ4poCR1tnwDTEAQYBCABEgI1x_D_BwE

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
I have no qualms about my Schecter Damien Platinum 8. I actually like the bat inlays and it does everything I need since ultimately they're all just hunks of wood with strings. Satin neck feels great, stock grover tuners have worked well for players for longer than I've been alive, the EMG's are fine (EQ adjustment can make almost anything sound good to a persons tastes unless they're gonna go overboard with the aural elitism), hipshot style bridge is basically hipshot bridge. Neck is stable and has carbon fiber reinforcement. Black tusq graphite nut. Fretwork was good. Made in Korea. $749 on the schecter website rn. It's basically the definition of a good quality basic 8 string guitar with 28" scale.

teamSKDM

Reaction score
28" multiscale is better than a straight 28" both in sound and playability . the jackson dinky 8 string multiscales are 28" for very cheap around 3-400. if you want higher quality , the ormsby 8 strings are also 28" multiscale and can be had for around 1200 used

Axiom451

Reaction score
Look for an used Schecter Banshee Elite 8
28 straight scale, SS frets, USA pickups etc

Made in Korea, these Schecters are workhorses
Incredible guitar, I tune it to Drop F# + low C#1

asopala

Reaction score
Look for an used Schecter Banshee Elite 8
28 straight scale, SS frets, USA pickups etc

Made in Korea, these Schecters are workhorses
Incredible guitar, I tune it to Drop F# + low C#1
This exactly. The one I got years ago is still my main 8 string to this day. It's just...well made. And the stainless frets are a godsend.

Though any Schecter 8 string will do the job, as they're pretty much all at 28". What's your budget?

nonoxxx

Reaction score
The banshee 8 elite is nice , I find some used ones near 1000 euros, It's a good deal, I will have to save a little but I think I will gor for it :)

Last edited: