looking for a good 24 fret bass for 1500 dollars and under

shalev98732

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
dont knwo if this counts as my first bass but i havnt played bass in like 8 years (well i did play it a year ago when i kidna saved the band for high school ending ceremony (they couldnt find a good bass player)) and sold my gear off, but recently i got a spark to return to play bass (mostly because of cliff and les claypool and rob trujillo (mostly his previous work like infectious grooves), im now looking for a good 24 fret bass for metal (anything metal in general), funk metal, funk rock and funk.
and also for bass solos, it can even be a 600-800 bass if its good, the price doesnt really matter but im not putting more than 1500.

shalev98732

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
dont knwo if this counts as my first bass but i havnt played bass in like 8 years (well i did play it a year ago when i kidna saved the band for high school ending ceremony (they couldnt find a good bass player)) and sold my gear off, but recently i got a spark to return to play bass (mostly because of cliff and les claypool and rob trujillo (mostly his previous work like infectious grooves), im now looking for a good 24 fret bass for metal (anything metal in general), funk metal, funk rock and funk.
and also for bass solos, it can even be a 600-800 bass if its good, the price doesnt really matter but im not putting more than 1500.
also where i live if i want to order something online its from thomann, dont know much online retailers that ship here. with sweetwater its 30/70 chance with 30 percent chance they will, unless i can convince them, but i can say one thing swetwtaer sals person are very nice, they even pinpoint me to places where they hsip the same stuff to my country

Hexer

Contributor
Reaction score
Can you get Esh basses where you live? I'd totally recommend them! They are very good basses in a price range that still won't break the bank. Plus all their active models have a piezo bridge in addition to the magnetic pickups if you also wan't that "accoustic" sound. Also a "studio mode" where the magnetic pickups go directly to the output jack with not dials in between.
They were originally a German company but are now made by the same people in Czech Republic who also make the European Spectors.

Thomann doesn't have them unfortunately, Musik Produktiv (another big German music store) does though. My tip for you if you want to order one online though is Jackshop in Finnland. He has quite a few active and passive Eshs in stock and I just bought one from him myself last month (see my thread about it). Everything went over smoothly and he sells them for quite a bit less than Musik Produktiv.
Try contacting him via Facebook maybe because I know he has more basses than the ones that are listed in his online-store.

If you need any more input on Esh and their models, I'm here for you of course (I own 2 myself).

EDIT: sorry if this sounded kinda like a sales pitch! 😅 I just love those basses very much and I am in no way affiliated with Jackshop either! I just recently bought from them so can attest to them doing things right (with the exception of updating their online store maybe LOL). Another guy I know recently bought one from there, too and had no problems either.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lemonbaby

Reaction score
Might help to know where you're located if this is your biggest issue.

Are we talking four, five or six strings? What sound do you like - Fender, MusicMan, other? Slap, pick or fingers?

My recommendations without knowing more details: Ibanez EHB series.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'd also recommend the usual ones: Ibanez, ESP, and Schecter. Maybe some of the more recent Warwick Rockbass offerings, but I haven tplayed any of them.

Maybe a used German made Warwick if there any available in your area? You can sometimes find incredible ones in that price range. The things to be wary of (for your personal preferences) would be neck profile and weight.

shalev98732

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'd also recommend the usual ones: Ibanez, ESP, and Schecter. Maybe some of the more recent Warwick Rockbass offerings, but I haven tplayed any of them.

Maybe a used German made Warwick if there any available in your area? You can sometimes find incredible ones in that price range. The things to be wary of (for your personal preferences) would be neck profile and weight.
Warwicks are cheaper in my country, than in other countries since like 2 warwick executives used to live here, usually everything cost more here

shalev98732

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Might help to know where you're located if this is your biggest issue.

Are we talking four, five or six strings? What sound do you like - Fender, MusicMan, other? Slap, pick or fingers?

My recommendations without knowing more details: Ibanez EHB series.
I moved from usa to israel for my gf like 1 year ago, i played fender and musicmans, i like a punchy sound a bit high output, my uncle has a rickenbacker and a warwick and i like the sounds of those basses, i do all playing styles on bass.

shalev98732

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Neck profile arent that much of a problem for me, i kinda like a bit chunkier necks when theyre way too thin its annoying to grab them since my palm is bigger than average

shalev98732

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Throwing in my love of Spector... anything, as well as the Yamaha TRB series.
Any specific recommendarions, ive looked into spector but hard to pick from their lineup and i dont understand much about yamha too, also on a diffrent note if anybody knows a good explorer or firebird shape 24 fret bass lemme know, black paint and gold hardware would also be nice (but not a must)

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Any specific recommendarions, ive looked into spector but hard to pick from their lineup and i dont understand much about yamha too, also on a diffrent note if anybody knows a good explorer or firebird shape 24 fret bass lemme know, black paint and gold hardware would also be nice (but not a must)
You can probably find a 2nd hand Rebop (bolt-on) or Euro (neck-thru) in your price range. Both are made in Europe.
Also the TRB series is Yamaha's top of the line Japanese-made line. 24 frets and a 35'' scale if you're into tha

shalev98732

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You can probably find a 2nd hand Rebop (bolt-on) or Euro (neck-thru) in your price range. Both are made in Europe.
Also the TRB series is Yamaha's top of the line Japanese-made line. 24 frets and a 35'' scale if you're into tha
you know any basses that sound like an aria pro ii sb-1000 or the cliff burton signatures by any chance, i love those sounds but havnt been bale to find any of those in good shape online, ifound in a music shop like 3 months ago and it sounded and played great, but by the time i had the money it was gone

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Neck profile arent that much of a problem for me, i kinda like a bit chunkier necks when theyre way too thin its annoying to grab them since my palm is bigger than average
In that case you may enjoy Warwicks. Some of them have fairly thick necks.

I am unsure of the current Rockbass versions, but older models with wenge or ovankol necks generally have thicker profiles. Some mid 90's Corvette and other models (mainly Proline series) will have a much slimmer and flatter profile like a jazz bass in my experience.

Again, if you can find a used German Warwick with a wenge or ovankol neck I'd highly recommend trying it out.

shalev98732

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
In that case you may enjoy Warwicks. Some of them have fairly thick necks.

I am unsure of the current Rockbass versions, but older models with wenge or ovankol necks generally have thicker profiles. Some mid 90's Corvette and other models (mainly Proline series) will have a much slimmer and flatter profile like a jazz bass in my experience.

Again, if you can find a used German Warwick with a wenge or ovankol neck I'd highly recommend trying it out.
Ive tried the newer warwicks their neck isnt thick honestly it felt like the gsr bass that was in a pratice room i tried

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That would not surprise me as they have the Rockbass line to be more appealing to a wider audience with price and I would guess playability. Not everyone enjoys playing a tree trunk of a bass neck lol

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
you know any basses that sound like an aria pro ii sb-1000 or the cliff burton signatures by any chance, i love those sounds but havnt been bale to find any of those in good shape online, ifound in a music shop like 3 months ago and it sounded and played great, but by the time i had the money it was gone
I recall those sounding super unique. A special pickup + tone circuit. If you want that Aria sound you gotta hunt down an Aria.

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
US-made Peavey Cirrus is a solid contender in that price range here. Not sure of availability/pricing in your country but it's probably worth a quick search.

You can also get a great Ibanez for that price, especially used. I would personally get an SR but BTBs have the thicker neck it sounds like you prefer.

shalev98732

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
i found a venson pj 24 fret bass for 572.70 usd on the used market an hour away from me, anybody knows anything about those basses?