Looking for mix feedback on a weird (modified drop G#) tuning

• Thread starter duffbeer33
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

duffbeer33

Reaction score
Hi all, I did a song with a unique tuning that I haven't used before on a 6 string baritone -- G#, C#, G#, C#, F#, A#

Mike Mushok used to use this on some old Staind songs and I always thought it had an interesting voice. I think Architects have used it too, and probably others I'm not aware of.

Anyway this is lower than I usually go so I could use some advice on getting the guitars to cut better. Does this sound acceptable to your ears? I'm mixing on headphones here.

Sylim

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
sounds great. perfectly enjoyable. anything i´d change is just personal preference.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I very much enjoyed it, tones, tuning and all. Good work, man. Headphone mixes usually sound super stuffy and nasally to me.

Raswa

Reaction score
If you want the guitars to stand out more, usually when going this low you should focus on the lower frequencies of the kick drum, bass and guitar. Do you want them all to form the lower end together, or just the kick, for example. If only the kick, then it is worth looking at how much bass there is in general at the lowest frequencies and cut from others. If there's too much bass individually in each instrument, the compressor adds to their sum in masterbuss and everything sounds more messy. You can't get it all. It's all about balance. Boost here cut there. No rules and blah blah, but in general you should cut at least the lower end, say 80-100hz from guitars. You can then boost the kick drum from 60-80hz. Bass usually cooperates with the kick, so you should find the balance where kick and bass "drives" each other.

Latest posts