Looking for my 'Holy Grail' of amplification

• Thread starter MistaSnowman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MistaSnowman

Play It LOUD!!!
Reaction score
Over the past month and half, I've been lucky to have played through several amps that I would hope one of them will become my 'Holy Grail' of guitar amps.

To date, I've narrowed my choice to three amps:
  • PRS Archon 25w
  • EVH 5150 III 50w
  • Blackstar Series One 45w

I rather have a combo than a head/cabinet because, frankly, I like combos better. I am aware that two of the three amps are heavy amps and, eventually, I'll have to take that into account. Primarily, I'll be playing in my apartment but, I've just started to participate in twice a week jam sessions at the local Sam Ash and, ultimately, I want to play with my amp rather than using theirs.

The pro in all three of the amps is that they're all versatile, meaning that I can go from clean to scream. I play blues in the Sam Ash jam sessions but at home, I'll tune down to Drop A on my 7 and Drop C on my 6 for the heavier stuff (drives the wife crazy :evil:).

Pros in the Archon is that it's lightweight and easiest of the 3 to transport. Plus, my guitars and amp would be from the same brand (satisfies the OCD in me). The con would be that I'd need to purchase something like a Mesa Cab Clone to use while recording.

I love the fact that both the 5153 and the S1 both have the attenuator feature plus a line out into an DI. Plus points goes toward the 5153 for having a headphone jack and DSP reverb. The major con of the 5153 and S1...the weight of the amps!!! 65 pounds for the 5153 1x12 (84 pounds for the 2x12) and 77 pounds for the S1. The Archon 25 only weighs 34 pounds.

Sorry for the wall of text but I have a lot to consider towards buying my 'last' amp. I am open to other suggestions though so fire away :) and thanks for time.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SmashinWithTone

Reaction score
Not sure your budget and wether or not you like mesa's, but ill throw out the mark v 25. I know you prefer a combo but the head only weighs about 16 or so pounds, extremely versatile, from your clean to scream, has the built in cab clone, and it also has the headphone jack to keep the wife happy. Just a thought. Good luck

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
I have an Archon 50 watt combo and I cannot say enough good things about it. Probably one of the most versatile amps you will come across. I wouldn't let something like getting a cab clone discourage you from your purchase.

I was between a 5153 and an Archon...guess which won :lol:

There have only been 2 amps that I have played where I said 'holy sh!t, I need this'. An Archon and my dual rec being the other amp.

If you never want to buy another amp, get an Archon.

If you have any Archon specific questions feel free to ask!

MistaSnowman

Play It LOUD!!!
Reaction score
I have an Archon 50 watt combo and I cannot say enough good things about it. Probably one of the most versatile amps you will come across. I wouldn't let something like getting a cab clone discourage you from your purchase.

I was between a 5153 and an Archon...guess which won :lol:

There have only been 2 amps that I have played where I said 'holy sh!t, I need this'. An Archon and my dual rec being the other amp.

If you never want to buy another amp, get an Archon.

If you have any Archon specific questions feel free to ask!

I was able to check out the Archon 50 last weekend and I do love it! However, I think it might be too much for my apartment. How is the 50 watter when it comes to playing with lower volumes?

07adams88

Reaction score
Man depending on your budget.... Have you tried Hughes and kettner TM36C. Has a vintage 30 in it too.

I played on the head version of this at a local shop and WOW. It was phenomenal. Sounds so big and wonderful tone. I will most likely be getting one some time this year.

Edit: the have another version that has effects too.

MistaSnowman

Play It LOUD!!!
Reaction score
Man depending on your budget.... Have you tried Hughes and kettner TM36C. Has a vintage 30 in it too.

I played on the head version of this at a local shop and WOW. It was phenomenal. Sounds so big and wonderful tone. I will most likely be getting one some time this year.

Edit: the have another version that has effects too.

I've tried the H&K TubeMeister 16 and wasn't a fan of its sound. As much as I wanted to love that amp, it was extremely bass heavy and I had no success dialing down the bass.

07adams88

Reaction score
I've tried the H&K TubeMeister 16 and wasn't a fan of its sound. As much as I wanted to love that amp, it was extremely bass heavy and I had no success dialing down the bass.

I never tried the 16 but the the 36 was great to my ears. Granted I was playing on a 6 string in drop D. I might not feel the same way playing on a 7 string. Before I buy one I am definitely bringing my guitar in to test it out.

MistaSnowman

Play It LOUD!!!
Reaction score
I never tried the 16 but the the 36 was great to my ears. Granted I was playing on a 6 string in drop D. I might not feel the same way playing on a 7 string. Before I buy one I am definitely bringing my guitar in to test it out.

Edit to my above post (if I'm going to tell people about how I feel about an amp, it would be nice if I'd called the amp by it's correct name) it was the TubeMeister 18 not 16....

Anyway, the features of the H&K are nice especially the RedBox DI. The 36 combo gets cool points for being equipped with a Vintage 30 speaker (as you mentioned above).

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
I was able to check out the Archon 50 last weekend and I do love it! However, I think it might be too much for my apartment. How is the 50 watter when it comes to playing with lower volumes?

It actually sounds awesome IMO. It does have the 25 watt switch...doesnt really make that much of a difference honestly. You dont lose any tone playing at lower volumes. (i actually jam with my drummer in 25 watt mode)

I bought it specifically because I wanted a portable amp that would not break my back, and sounded awesome at low and high volumes. But obviously price wasn't a concern.

Let me put it his way...when i was testing it in the store to see if i liked it...i ONLY played it at bedroom volume and i was blown away. I was hoping at band volume it would be just as awesome and it is!

I will NEVER sell my Archon...there isnt 1 thing I dislike about the amp...other maybe I wish it was a 2x12 combo :lol: If you cany get your sound out of this amp your probably deaf :lol::lol::lol::ugh:

MistaSnowman

Play It LOUD!!!
Reaction score
I will NEVER sell my Archon...there isnt 1 thing I dislike about the amp...other maybe I wish it was a 2x12 combo :lol: If you cany get your sound out of this amp your probably deaf :lol::lol::lol::ugh:

This is what I'm hoping for...my 'last' amp! 'Last' unless there's an Archon MkII. As for an extra cab, I'm sure that I can find another PRS 1x12 that would suit me. However, with that 'Depth' knob, I don't know if I need anymore low end than necessary.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
This is what I'm hoping for...my 'last' amp! 'Last' unless there's an Archon MkII. As for an extra cab, I'm sure that I can find another PRS 1x12 that would suit me. However, with that 'Depth' knob, I don't know if I need anymore low end than necessary.

I cant put into words how much the depth knob effects the amps tone...I haven't come across a more responsive depth knob on any other amp. Most only have a 'sweet' spot area...the Archons sweet spot is anywhere between 0-10 depending on what you are playing :lol:

And since you are looking at the 25 watter, you shouldn't have any problems with volume at 13 watts (the half power mode). And 25 is more than enough for a band.

MistaSnowman

Play It LOUD!!!
Reaction score
I cant put into words how much the depth knob effects the amps tone...I haven't come across a more responsive depth knob on any other amp. Most only have a 'sweet' spot area...the Archons sweet spot is anywhere between 0-10 depending on what you are playing :lol:

And since you are looking at the 25 watter, you shouldn't have any problems with volume at 13 watts (the half power mode). And 25 is more than enough for a band.

That's is sweet to know although I do have a wandering eye for the Archon 50 :evil:

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
As an owner of the V:25, I don't know that it would be the "last amp you'd ever buy". There's a ton of stuff it can do, but there's some stuff it can't do if you're going to be picky. I mean that in the sense that it's not going to sound just like a recto or a 5150-type amp, or whatever else have you. It's very versatile but has it's own character that may or may not fit all of a persons musical needs. Getting the 25 makes me want the full Mark V. But I still want all kinds of other amps too. Maybe a whole army of tiny amps.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
That's is sweet to know although I do have a wandering eye for the Archon 50 :evil:

For what it's worth... Once I put my amp in 25 watt mode it hasn't seen full power because it doesn't need too.

Also I agree that the mark v 25 would be the end all amp.... If they made a combo version :2c:

I would own both if it was a combo

Latest posts