looking for pickups that offer variety

varanus

Reaction score
Hi, I have a shitty js227 (poplar body and maple neck), so i'm not looking to drop too much money. i need pickups that can do a variety of genres(i.e. r&b, modern metal, shoegaze, etc.) I did a little googling and i'm looking at dimarzio liquifire 7 for the neck and crunchlab for the bridge. what do you guys think? any suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JustinRhoads1980

Jackson Elitist
Reaction score
I would say you need something more aggressive than the CL/LF because although it is a great pickup, I don't think it could do modern metal all that well, but then again we don't know what amp you have

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
you need something more aggressive than the CL/LF
I kinda disagree. "Modern metal sound" to me is more about the amp. If you go too far into aggressive territory with pickups, I imagine you'd risk losing out on versatility. Also CL can be plenty aggressive depending on your picking style.

I'm a big fan of that pickup combo. I'd be willing to give that a shot if you're sure the amp situation is good.

Edika

Reaction score
Dear god we're at the point where a Crunchlab is not aggressive enough and can't do modern metal. If it's anything like the D-Sonic 7 it's plenty aggressive and can do modern metal for sure. Hopefully it's a bit more open sounding than the D-Sonic. I haven't tried the set, only tge Liquifire which was quite bright for a neck pickup and had a lot of bite.

Smoked Porter

Reaction score
Crunchlab is definitely aggressive, but it sounds like shit. There's something weird going on with it, almost like there's a hint of neck pickup sound. Just my experience, there was nothing wrong with the wiring in the guitar that had it either.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Personally, I don't think that the crunchlab is that aggressive of a tone, but I'm on board with looking into an amp first.

varanus

Reaction score
Well I do have a shitty amp (id core 20), and I planned on getting a boss katana 100 or a better id core. If i had the money, i'd get a bias or kemper lol. the stock pickups are doable to say the least. yeah in that perspective getting better pickups before an amp does seem silly lol. the only reason i ask is because i'm already recording music. btw smoked porter the crunch lab can be used as a neck pickup so that could be why its weird lol.

JustinRhoads1980

Jackson Elitist
Reaction score
I kinda disagree. "Modern metal sound" to me is more about the amp. If you go too far into aggressive territory with pickups, I imagine you'd risk losing out on versatility. Also CL can be plenty aggressive depending on your picking style.

I'm a big fan of that pickup combo. I'd be willing to give that a shot if you're sure the amp situation is good.

Yeah I guess, then again his amp is pretty shit so I think getting a better amp would be a better improvement compared to a pickup swap

Alex79

Reaction score
Definitely get a better amp first.

Not only will it make a huge difference in tone, it will also show you much better the tonal qualities of your guitar so you know what pickups to get.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
good amp>>>good pickups>good guitar.
I went down the same path years ago starting with a meh guitar, with meh pickups into a horrible amp. tried some better pickups (evo2) and it still sounded meh. upgraded from a piece of shit crate solid state to a mesa boogie f30 and the sound was excellent. A good amp will make mediocre guitars and pickups sound better than a shitty amp will. Take it from someone who owned and used stock 300$ guitars for years.

Matt08642

Reaction score
Leave it to ss.org to set the standard at

:lol:

Not everyone wants to sound exaaaaaaaaactly the same, right?

..... right?

Haha I'm not saying that Misha is the "standard" for modern metal (whatever that means), but his style and tone is certainly what a large chunk of people think of for a quick example of modern tones.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I guess if it was a question of versatility, the fact that Bulb and Petrucci use(d) the same pickups should make a decent statement in itself.

bnzboy

Asian Dying
Reaction score
Are you all insane? Fucking BULB used the Crunchlab.

"Can't do modern metal" Jesus christ.

We've entered the terminal meme zone, where only pickups handwound on one of Jupiter's moons is capable of versatility :lol:

lolll I remember when CL+LF was THE way to go and duncans were not.. djenty