Looking for some info on Strandberg Necks & Hand pain

• Thread starter Tesla
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tesla

Augmented User
Reaction score
Hey guys

I recently got diagnosed with inflamed tendons and crepitus in my left hand and wrist. I've been doing some exercises while I wait for physio, but I was also told to stop playing guitar etc. at least until they see if the physio helps, but I was told it's unlikely I'll be completely healed... My pain mostly comes from chord playing at the lower frets or doing arpeggio runs up and down. My thumb hurts most during the chords, and my whole hand ends up hurting with the arpeggios, it's not a great situation.

So, I looked into Strandberg's Endurneck and the philosophy behind it in an attempt to see if there's a middle ground so I don't have to completely ditch playing. I know they're super fashionable guitars, but how do they fare on a functionality basis? I'm just looking for opinions on what people with similar, or any hand issues who have switched to a Strandberg or made an Endurneck etc.

I briefly played a Boden NX7 (talking about barely 5 minutes of rusty noodlin') and was quite impressed with it in general, but the short time I got to play it wasn't going really indicative of the hand pain as it usually takes longer to kick in, so yeah just looking for some info from people who've spent some time with one.

It's obviously a pretty expensive purchase so got a lot of thinking to do. I also tried looking to see if the Endurneck plans were still available to have my own neck made, but understandably they aren't available anymore.

Appreciate any and all help!

Cheers

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Musiscience

Reaction score
You just need to try it for yourself for a bit and see if it helps. If I’m not mistaken they have a good “try it” program where you can return it if you don’t like it.

My relationship with the endurneck is strange. Some days I like it, some days I prefer traditional neck shapes. Don’t feel like I can really make up my mind on it. However, I know that I have not experienced wrist pain since playing with the Strandberg most of the time. It’s pretty anecdotal, so take it with a grain of salt, but it seems to be beneficial to me.

Tom odd 7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi,
Well, in order to find a way to play until then, or once your hand problem is resolved, I don’t think that any guitar neck could fix the pain when the very problem is here already.
Some guitars are great, playable, greatly ergonomic & prevents the player to struggle with many wounds, but they’re not built to heal anatomic issues, the act of playing, wich is not a natural act, is in itself one of the multiple causes.
This said, don't let that stop you from considering a future purchase, but prior to this, you should eventually check your hand/body position, the amount of time you usually play, warm up routine and, as I did long time ago when I was subject to tendinitis, lower the gauge of your strings.
Hope this could help.
Cheers

Last edited:

yan12

Reaction score
I suffered the same malady. The endurneck is okay, but in the end I just had a great big neck made for my guitar. Worlds of difference.

The secret is to play in a hand position that is not "pinched". My guitar necks are now like 2x4 big and fill the hand. Totally gave me a new lease on playing guitar.

Zhysick

Reaction score
Try a short scale with a rounder C neck... Something like a Fender Mustang. If stretches and lower frets are the problem then a shorter scale could help...

olejason

Reaction score
What kind of left hand technique do you play with? If you're already playing with relaxed 'proper' technique see if you can find a guitar, or bass, with a really thick neck to try out. The more of your hand filled by the neck the better.

Tesla

Augmented User
Reaction score
Thanks for all the answers!

I spent a bit more time with a Strandberg in a store today and after putting my hand through some exercises, it hurt just like it did on every other guitar, so I guess it’s not gonna help.

I like the sound of trying a bigger neck, I just need to think of what guitars have the biggest necks by default. Les Lauls? Strats? Or am I going to have to go custom?

As for my technique, I taught myself how to play 20 years ago with no real teacher so I likely have pretty rough technique. However, the pain has only appeared over the past few months out of those 20 years, so I reckon if it was down to my technique I would have had this issue long ago?

I’ll keep at it, and again I really appreciate the responses and help!

Jeffrey Bain

Reaction score
Thanks for all the answers!

I spent a bit more time with a Strandberg in a store today and after putting my hand through some exercises, it hurt just like it did on every other guitar, so I guess it’s not gonna help.

I like the sound of trying a bigger neck, I just need to think of what guitars have the biggest necks by default. Les Lauls? Strats? Or am I going to have to go custom?

As for my technique, I taught myself how to play 20 years ago with no real teacher so I likely have pretty rough technique. However, the pain has only appeared over the past few months out of those 20 years, so I reckon if it was down to my technique I would have had this issue long ago?

I’ll keep at it, and again I really appreciate the responses and help!
I would measure the neck on your current guitar and just check specs to find one that's bigger. 50's LP Neck is pretty baseball bat-ish if I recall correctly.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Gibson 50’s, fender nocaster U.

nickgray

Reaction score
Have you tried lowering the string tension and lowering the action? Helped me a lot for my left hand problems.

My thumb hurts most during the chords

Are you "pinching" the thumb against the fingers when fretting? Try to press with the force of your arm. Do this - don't put the thumb on the neck at all, let it hang or tuck it against the other side of the neck, the goal here is to remove the pinching motion out of the equation. Now fret the notes by pushing on the neck with your fingers, using the force from your arm to do this. You can actually play the guitar without utilizing your thumb at all, it's awkward and uncomfortable of course, but the point is that you don't need the thumb to fret the notes.

Tesla

Augmented User
Reaction score
Have you tried lowering the string tension and lowering the action? Helped me a lot for my left hand problems.

Are you "pinching" the thumb against the fingers when fretting? Try to press with the force of your arm. Do this - don't put the thumb on the neck at all, let it hang or tuck it against the other side of the neck, the goal here is to remove the pinching motion out of the equation. Now fret the notes by pushing on the neck with your fingers, using the force from your arm to do this. You can actually play the guitar without utilizing your thumb at all, it's awkward and uncomfortable of course, but the point is that you don't need the thumb to fret the notes.
That’s a really good idea, I do pinch quite strongly yeah. I’ve tried lessening the grip but years of self-taught bad habits are hard to iron out. I’ll start doing the no-thumb thing you’ve suggested and see how things go.

I’ll try lighter strings as well. I mainly play in Open C with 10-52’s so there’s probably a little bit of wiggle room there with the gauges.

Buffnuggler

Reaction score
the advice about the thumb is key. it is only there to guide, and its why youll see people playing wizard necks with their thumb still hanging over. pushing with the thumb is very bad especially on small necks.

all “ergo” necks are scams IMO, the best neck for hand pain will be a big one with a vintage radius, but it is hard to do a lot of stuff with that for players used to very flat necks. i like 9.5 strings on fenders.

also, get your thyroid checked, mine was a little off and it was making my wrists flare up like crazy. getting on a synthroid stopped it amd probably saved my thyroid too :)

shredmechanic

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I suffered the same malady. The endurneck is okay, but in the end I just had a great big neck made for my guitar. Worlds of difference.

The secret is to play in a hand position that is not "pinched". My guitar necks are now like 2x4 big and fill the hand. Totally gave me a new lease on playing guitar.
This. I'm a mid-30's shredder who's been at it for 16 years and the key to staying out of the physio's office for me has been bigger guitar necks. I've got two Strandbergs and they're great for bad back days when I want to fully recline in my ergonomic office chair and play guitar, but on days with pain in the hands I play a Telecaster with a huge "U" neck that's literally 1" thick. It's difficult to exaggerate how much a big neck can help your fretting hand, especially with bigger chords like drop-2 voicings in 2nd inversion.

Additionally, learning to play with a straight wrist on your fretting hand is a big help and one of the easiest ways to get there is to raise your guitar strap or use a pillow to raise the guitar when you're seated(I use a Dynarette pillow anytime I'm seated with a guitar).

Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery!