Looks like I'll be in NYC & Jersey City for New Years! Tips?

• Thread starter FireInside
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FireInside

.Buried.Breathing.
Reaction score
Found out a couple days ago my brother won a trip through his work and I get to be his +1. :hbang:

Going to be a crazy fast trip (leave on the 30th and return on the 1st), exhausting just to think about. :lol: We are staying in Jersey City but I am sure we will probably spend most of our time in Manhattan. Not planning to do a lot of the Times Square New Years non sense though. I will probably check out Music Row, Central Park, and the 911 Memorial. Not enough time for Liberty.

Still trying to wrap my head around the public transportation. Being from the Left Coast this is all foreign to me.

Any tips or suggestions on things I shouldn't miss? Things I don't know? Places I should eat?

:yesway:

DISTORT6

NJ DEVIL
Reaction score
Jersey City?
Do NOT make any wrong turns.
I wish I was kidding.

Murdstone

Sycamore Trees
Reaction score
Warwick custom shop is in Alphabet City, they have some cool basses in there. Do your best to avoid Times Square, it will be a hellish nightmare.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DISTORT6

NJ DEVIL
Reaction score
Damn it's really that bad? Our hotel is right on the Hudson.
There are sections you don't want to "visit". Roll up the windows, lock the doors and stay low! Just like the Griswolds! :lol:
Down by the river is pretty safe. "Yuppified" and Hippsters. Lots of high-rise condos and office buildings.
Looking for A LOT of bars and places to eat in a small area? Check out Hoboken. It's right next door to JC and is a known drunk spot. :yesway:

FireInside

.Buried.Breathing.
Reaction score
Will do. We definately will be getting our drink on. Pretty much all of our touristy stuff will be across the river, wouldn't want to end up in any shady spots in Jersey. :cool:

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
There's nothing left on Music Row but Rudy's these days; Sam Ash bought everyone out, then moved to 34th and 8th earlier this year. Rudy's is a great store, but it's probably not worth braving Times Square that close to New Years'.

DISTORT6

NJ DEVIL
Reaction score
Will do. We definately will be getting our drink on. Pretty much all of our touristy stuff will be across the river, wouldn't want to end up in any shady spots in Jersey. :cool:

Cool. Have fun!
Just remember that most of New Jersey is pretty awesome. The further you get away from the urban sprawl, the better it gets! :yesway:

OH! Make sure you try a Taylor ham sandwich at breakfast while you're here. You'll thank me latter. :D

Rommel

Reaction score
You may want to try Lombardi's for the pizza. Lombardi's Pizza

If you want to check out the Warwick/Framus shop, it's on 7th St. between 1st and 2nd Ave in Manhattan.

FireInside

.Buried.Breathing.
Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed response, had to recover! Ha ha

We had a blast. I have traveled to many different cities, states, and some countries and I usually return home only slightly impressed or mostly satisfied with the trip. This is absolutely not the case with NYC. I can honestly say I love that city! The sights, sounds, smells (most of them anyway, ha ha), food.....words cannot describe my appreciate for that city. Prior to this trip I was defiantly a "west coast snob." Now I know how much more amazing NYC is compared to L.A. It's no contest really.

Public transportation is so efficient and cheap. I was shocked at how easy it was to get around. I was worried about getting from LGA to Jersey a City and kept seeing taxi estimates of $90. We took the. M60 bus to the N train in Central Park, hung out and walked around for a while, took the path train to Jersey City and only paid around $7.50 :yesway:

Perfect trip for sure. I absolutely WILL be back (but not on a New Years ha ha). Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions. It was very helpful.

PS. The pizza was amazing. :yesway: