Loose fine tuner on rg1527

• Thread starter rasse
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rasse

Reaction score
I got my RG1527 from a guy called Ewan here on ss.org (great to deal with and really helpful btw) a while ago. Now I've had a few trem equipped guitars, but Im not the kind of guy who goes on fiddling with the trems. Hard tails are OK but trems not so much. I took the guitar to the shop a few days after I got it. The guys at the shop screwed the intonation up on the B and E strings, so I decided to take matters in my own hands and setup the damn thing myself.

I have this impression that you get a tool to help you in the whole process of intonating your Edge tremolo but I (think) dont have it. So I did the harder way of removing the string, loosening the screw, moving the block, string back in, tune, check intonation. I got the intonation spot on after ten or so minutes. I congratulated myself for a job well done, I tuned, locked the nut and tried to fine tune the string. The pitch of the string doesn't change and the screw feels really light. Shit.

So since I suck with tech stuff Im now asking you, fellow ss.orgers, is my trem broken or is it just about me not getting something?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Check the threads on the fine tuner screw, if they're messed up, just replace the screw.

Though, realize, that the screw works by pushing on a lever shaped part of the saddle which is held in place by a flat spring. If the screw is not making contact with this lever, then it's not going to do anything but unscrew from the block and not effect tuning in the least.

rasse

Reaction score
The threads on the screw are fine. I think the issue is more about the screw not touching the lever shaped part. Is there an easy way to get the screw to touch that particular part of the saddle? Mind that my trem is blocked and can't be lifted/lowered in any way.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If your trem is blocked it's super easy.

1) Unlock the nut.
2) Screw the fine tuner in till it's only 4-5mm away from being full screwed in.
3) Tune with the tuner on the headstock.
4) Lock nut.
5) Check he fine tuner.

rasse

Reaction score
Well that didn't work. The screw is as loose as it was before. Could it be from me moving the saddle around when I was trying to set it up? As in is there some sweet spot the screw (beneath the strings)/saddle should be in?

rasse

Reaction score

Those are the screws Im talking about. They aren't exactly in the same place on each string. This isn't my RG, but mine doesn't look any different.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
so the fine tuners are not loose? those are the intonation screws? im confused maing. the fine tuners are on the very back, right under the ibanez logo on the trem.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Those don't move parallel to the string's length unless you reposition them on the baseplate (which you shouldn't really need to do).

Are they just not tightening down enough, thus not keeping the saddles in place? All those screws do is hold the saddle down, they do not adjust tuning or intonation directly, they just hold the saddle in place.

As Jym has already mentioned, those are not "fine tuners", those are saddle lock down bolts.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
if the threads on those screws are still good and you stripped out the plate you have about 2 options. new trem/plate or possibly a helicoil kit ;)

rasse

Reaction score
I know that the fine tuners are the ones on the back, next to the Ibanez logo. I was trying to explain that those circled screws are the ones I was playing around with BEFORE the fine tuner's screw started slacking. I did move the B string's saddle aswell as the intonation screw while trying to get the intonation right.

I'll just call the shop and get it done with. They offered to do it for free, but I insisted on doing it at home since it's only one string and the trip to the shop is so tedious. Thanks for the help though! Got a better understanding on how the trem actually works. :)