Low B lacking bite and definition, help please :(

• Thread starter BoredomKills
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BoredomKills

Thall.
Reaction score
Im playing my Washburn HM custom shop with a Duncan Distortion in the bridge in drop B tuning straight into a 5150, everything sounds amazing besides open palm mutes on the low strings or whenever the low B is played open. The tone isn't as aggressive sounding as the other strings and it sounds a little muddy, even when I pick harder. This is really bugging me. Any help would be appreciated. :yesway:

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the guitar is strung up with d'addario 60-12 strings.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Try Circle K strings. I'd be surprised with a 60 sounding dull on standard scale - I really didn't notice that until 65 or so with Dads, though I have heard complaints.. Nevertheless, Circle Ks are much clearer on the thick strings (feel better too!). It might be partly because that string isn't particularly tight.

11 16 21(w) 29 41 63 or 12 17 22(w) 31 41 65 from CK will sort you out. I guarantee you wont be disappointed!

leoseanster12

Big Gojira
Reaction score
That's pretty strange, the first thing that came to mind would that your amp has a problem. Have you swapped out the tubes in your 5150? How old is it? I tried a friend's Ashdown head once, but he never kept it clean and never took care of it. It sounded really really terrible.

I was never a big fan of D'Addario strings, but I wouldn't go as far as to say that it would be the sole reason of your muddy tone.

Actually, I'm not even sure how serious the problem is. Any soundclips that you can share with us so we can get a better idea of what you mean by 'muddy' and 'less aggressive'?

Chrisjd

Banned
Reaction score
strange, every piece of your gear screams aggression. the distortion is a super aggressive pickup, and the 5150 a very mean amp.

What are your lead channel settings?

I would try something like this:
pre gain:4
low:4.5
mid:6
treb:5-6
resonance: 5
presence:6-7

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
A 60 is pretty light for a low B. Try a 64 or a 70. That'll help a lot.

Also, trying lowering the gain on your amp for more definition.

Chrisjd

Banned
Reaction score
A 60 is pretty light for a low B. Try a 64 or a 70. That'll help a lot.

Also, trying lowering the gain on your amp for more definition.

I'd argue that a 60 is actually pretty big for a B string. 60 would be ideal for A or maybe A#.

DavidLopezJr

Reaction score
First thing I would suggest is messing with the amp EQ a bit more.
Next I would start messing with the pickup height.
Then I would make sure that all the electronics are wired up right.
Furthermore I would suggest getting fresh strings to see if that helps.
Last but not least start messing with string gauge.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
I'd argue that a 60 is actually pretty big for a B string. 60 would be ideal for A or maybe A#.

For the feel of it maybe, but as far as definition goes I found a 60 to be a bit lacking.

that short guy

Reaction score
While the strings could be something, I use 60 for an A and it's clear as can be. If you're saying that it's kinda muddy, get a Tube Screamer/Overdrive pedal put it in the mix and it should tighten your sound up.

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
DR DDT strings have a .65 set. I'd try those too. I feel lost without that gauge in drop B.