LTD Black Metal Neck Profile vs. Other "Extra Thin U" Models

CYPA

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Curious if anyone can chime in on any noticeable playability differences between the Black Metal series "Extra Thin U" necks, and other models with that same neck (M1000/Hammett/etc.). I'm interested in a Black Metal, but I've played an LTD Hammett, and the neck felt a little cramped (vs. the regular "Thin U" which I find comfortable) . I noticed that the Black Metal models have a slightly wider nut width, so I was wondering if anyone that had played them could share their thoughts compared to another model with the same neck.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zhysick

Reaction score
I'm interested in this too as I am considering buying a new black or arctic metal next year... I have an EX-100 (year 2001) and the neck is very different to the neck of another EC401VF that the singer in my band has but felt thinner and overall better than the neck of the MH203 I had a few years back which felt too deep. Narrow but thick. This one from the EC401 was a lot better but I could get it thinner (I guess I'm just afraid the black metal Thin U could be as thick as the old MH203 Thin U...)

Please! Drop your experience for us both!

CYPA

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm interested in this too as I am considering buying a new black or arctic metal next year... I have an EX-100 (year 2001) and the neck is very different to the neck of another EC401VF that the singer in my band has but felt thinner and overall better than the neck of the MH203 I had a few years back which felt too deep. Narrow but thick. This one from the EC401 was a lot better but I could get it thinner (I guess I'm just afraid the black metal Thin U could be as thick as the old MH203 Thin U...)

Please! Drop your experience for us both!

Yup exactly - I love how the black metals look but the finish tended to get glossy from what I saw, the arctic looks amazing and seems like it will show less wear. But anyways, seems like the EC and MH both have the same "thin u" profile and 42mm nut width, not sure about EX but just goes to show the variation some guitars have. I also heard that single-cut styles tend to have thicker necks like the LPs they're based on so I'm a little surprised you found the MH to be thicker.

Zhysick

Reaction score
Yup exactly - I love how the black metals look but the finish tended to get glossy from what I saw, the arctic looks amazing and seems like it will show less wear. But anyways, seems like the EC and MH both have the same "thin u" profile and 42mm nut width, not sure about EX but just goes to show the variation some guitars have. I also heard that single-cut styles tend to have thicker necks like the LPs they're based on so I'm a little surprised you found the MH to be thicker.

Well, the EX I'm talking about is from 2001 and back to those days there were not thin U or extra thin U or whatever... there were just necks (no profiles spec'ed on the catalogue at least). The MH203 is from 2010 more or less and it was the Thin U but with a 43mm nut as it has a floyd rose bridge and felt very thick: nice and rounded on the back but too thick too much that my hand cramped in an hour of playing more or less while I can play for 5 hours in a Fender with a medium C neck (not the modern C which is thinner but the "slightly" thicker one so, go figure). The EC401 is from 2017 or so, much newer so I expect it to be closer to nowadays Black Metal series and the neck is very nice: thin, narrow (42mm for the TOM bridge) and very round. It feels almost as nice as my old EX, maybe better because is rounder, my EX neck is a bit flat on the back... not a D shaped neck precisely, but... just a bit weird but comfortable, the EC401 is the perfect definition of a C shaped neck, absolutely comfortable

etohk

Reaction score
I have a black metal Phoenix and the neck feels thicker than other ESP LTDs I have owned. Its in no way uncomfortable, I love it.

Zhysick

Reaction score
I have a black metal Phoenix and the neck feels thicker than other ESP LTDs I have owned. Its in no way uncomfortable, I love it.

Which other LTDs have you owned? Just to know the neck profiles you are comparing that BM Phoenix to...

Zhysick

Reaction score
I have had a Ninja 600, Viper 401 and EC 1000 VB. Also not totally relevant but Ive also owned a SC Signature and an Edwards Viper Camo.

I'm not sure about the Edwards, but all of the others you named there should have the same neck profile as the Black Metal Phoenix: the Thin U

Not very consistent then. Interesting...

etohk

Reaction score
I definitely had different expectations about the BM Phoenix neck profile and when I got it I thought maybe ESP was going for a beefier profile, given it was a Gibson shape copy. Maybe my memory is just fucked but I would also be curious to hear from those who have different versions of the BM series.

CYPA

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have had a Ninja 600, Viper 401 and EC 1000 VB. Also not totally relevant but Ive also owned a SC Signature and an Edwards Viper Camo.

Appreciate your feedback here. The LTD SC20 is the leader for me right now because of the Thin U. I like the aesthetics of the Arctic Metal better (reverse headstock, single hum, hardtail vs TOM), but that neck is what's making me hesitate. I'll have to wait a bit for the Arctic to drop anyways so maybe by then I'll be able to find a Black/Arctic Metal to play in a shop and compare.

etohk

Reaction score
Appreciate your feedback here. The LTD SC20 is the leader for me right now because of the Thin U. I like the aesthetics of the Arctic Metal better (reverse headstock, single hum, hardtail vs TOM), but that neck is what's making me hesitate. I'll have to wait a bit for the Arctic to drop anyways so maybe by then I'll be able to find a Black/Arctic Metal to play in a shop and compare.

SS frets might be worth the wait!

valkyrie

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I'm on the market for this very guitar. how does it compare to, say, the 1000 series?

Zhysick

Reaction score
I'm on the market for this very guitar. how does it compare to, say, the 1000 series?

Black Metal series and 1000 series are suposed to be the same quality: craftmanship and hardware wise, same thing just a different finish.

Shask

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the Edwards, but all of the others you named there should have the same neck profile as the Black Metal Phoenix: the Thin U

Not very consistent then. Interesting...
I have found the LTD neck profiles to be very inconsistent in general over the last several years. The newer neckthrough M series I have played over the last few years were definitely thicker and wider than the necks on the MH series and Vipers I owned 10+ years ago.

Zhysick

Reaction score
So I should get the EX instead of the M because I prefer it narrow than wide... maybe that's exactly what I wanted to read! :lol:

etohk

Reaction score
I prefer the BM series...feels more solid in my hands than the 1000 EC VB. Im not sure if i got lucky with the nut on the phoenix but the tuning is much more stable as well. As Zhysick said, the fit and workmanship is pretty much the same though.

Shask

Reaction score
So I should get the EX instead of the M because I prefer it narrow than wide... maybe that's exactly what I wanted to read! :lol:
That is the main reason I dont own an LTD anymore. I had several for years, but the M series is more of a "me guitar" on paper, but they all have flatter, wider necks. I prefer the narrower neck of the MH series, but don't really like the archtop bodies as much. Overall, it was just better for me to go more Schecter as the specs aligned better for me.

Zhysick

Reaction score
That is the main reason I dont own an LTD anymore. I had several for years, but the M series is more of a "me guitar" on paper, but they all have flatter, wider necks. I prefer the narrower neck of the MH series, but don't really like the archtop bodies as much. Overall, it was just better for me to go more Schecter as the specs aligned better for me.

Shit dude, I am in the exact same page! I like the narrow LTD necks as I love my EX100. A few years back I found a used old early 2000 M200 and I bought it but I found the neck was too wide and flat so, even if I prefer flat top bodies with a nice arm rest in a strat shape I had to sell back that guitar because I couldn't gel with the neck contour, but my EX100 is lovely. The MH203 was very nice, a bit too fat (deep, not wide) but in that case I couldn't gel with the archtop body.

Right now I am playing mainly a old Hamer indonesian made standard model, with a nice thin C shape (a bit thinner than a Thin U ESP so I guess it's similar to their Extra Thin U) and being mahogany neck and body is the perfect guitar, but the arched top is something I never find comfortable so that's why I have been looking to buy a new LTD. On paper an Black Metal M-HT should be perfect but the 43mm nut and, as you confirmed, potentially flater neck is not going to work for me, also, I prefer TOM bridges. The EX is next in line: like the shape, already have one, proper bridge, proper nut width... but neckdive and I play with the guitar very high so an EX shape doesn't look very good. Next to consider should be the EC but then it's the arched top again so, for all those reasons I am considering Schecter.

Is the ultra thin C neck Schecter is using much more thinner than the Thin U of the LTD guitars? I like the specs (specially the 16" radius) but... another option is Solar, but looks like there is not one opinion on their necks, people describe them differently and one guy made a comparison using a wire to show the profile and the Solar neck looked super wide...

OK, that's all my shit... it's sunday! :lol: