LTD MH-1000 Naturalised. Pics + Work in progress.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheSixthWheel

bangetzit
Reaction score
Please tell me you grain filled the mahogany....

Nope :fawk:....if it were an expensive guitar, and I wanted a pro finish, then I might have given a shit. I just want it roughly presentable, sealed from the elements, and playable.

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
Nope :fawk:....if it were an expensive guitar, and I wanted a pro finish, then I might have given a shit. I just want it roughly presentable, sealed from the elements, and playable.

grain filler would have cost you 10 bucks and given you a filled paint job. May be cool having the grain show through. You did a LOT of work to it, and it shows, just may as well do it right imo.

TheSixthWheel

bangetzit
Reaction score
I really like the wood grain coming through too. It's not that I'm settling for less than what I wanted, the guitar will definitely be looking neat and tidy when finished. You'd be spot on, however, if I wanted the pro gloss finish and had neglected to use a sealer. I'm using flat white for the final finish, after all.

blaaargh

Git Fuuuuuuuuuuucked
Reaction score
Yeah, imo it looks really cool when you've got a finish that's sunk into the pores like that. Keep in mind though that it will sink more over time...

Wretched

Reaction score
Yeah, seems like a shame given the hours and hours you put into the woodwork not to spend 10mins filling the grain and laying down a handful of primer coats first...

...as long as you're happy

Kapee

ss.org Master
Reaction score
White guitar - Sand to wood - Paint white

main.php

Jackrat

Reaction score
This whole thread has been like watching a train wreck. I would have just left the fuckin ding. I mean if this is truly what you were going for sure, but.....

facepalm.jpg

Note that this is only opinion.

MaxAidingAres

Reaction score
i think it looks beast but looked sooooo much better before.... idk I just love abalone binding on a white guitar

AwakenNoMore

Wrong Handed
Reaction score
I see grain through the top of the guitar, either you didn't seal the gain well enough with wood filler, or you didn't at all. Should strip the top and fix it

TheSixthWheel

bangetzit
Reaction score
Sorry to a few of you I left hanging, well the few of you who maintained any genuine interest and who weren't here to just tell me it looks bad, everything I was doing was bad, and to just stop :lol: It's worth experimenting, it teaches you things. It's worth trying new things, you'll learn from it. And in many instances, it's worth attempting mods where the odds are stacked against you, due to lack of experience, lack of knowledge, professional equipment or otherwise. That, and by the way some of the more dramatic posts in this thread sound, you'd think I was pushing a mint custom shop instrument through a band saw :rolleyes: It's an LTD, people. Calm your shit.

Late in 2012, I was accepted into a course of study at university and the degree meant that any hobbies took a back seat. This guitar kinda sat around in pieces until a few months ago, when I reassembled it over the holiday break. I didn't want to spend any money on it, because a) I'm a student, and b) that's what new guitars are for.

-Removed the tone pot, moving the volume to the tone position (with plans to fill the volume hole),
-Picked up some EMGs and direct mounted them as planned, and
-A Gotoh floyd + locking nut + all accessories was donated to me as well, after a customer had no further use for it.

My plans for any professional/creative paint work have long since been put aside, as I can't justify the cost, especially while studying. I plan to keep this for some time, and do something fluorescent to the top. Either that or I'll end up donating this to one of my students who can't afford an electric guitar any time soon. It still plays really well.

FWIW, I know I could have done this better. Had I known the archtop was an ugly, fibrous piece of shit I probably wouldn't have touched the finish. But I'm glad that I learned things all the way through this experience, and glad that I reduced the lurid inlays on this instrument by a sizable margin.