Lunchbox tube + SS head instead of one big 100 watter

• Thread starter Obstsalat
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Obstsalat

Reaction score
I am in the following situation:

I was a bedroom player until now, but want to start a hardcore/metalcore band at the moment.
but since i am going to university and generally broke as f***, the correct use of my budget plays a big role.

So I was considering saving up a few more month and get a 6505 or 5150, but then a friend told me, that i probably don't need 100 or even 50 watts on the dirty channel and that the pa guy will likely tell me to turn down my amp.

I was like okay, research on the web and it seems that a 15-20 watt head is easily loud enough and that they are actually in a way preferrable, because you can crank them more than a big head (which is what we want right?)

Moving on, I testet and fell in love with the Jim Root Terror (sounds badass with a boost!) but it has no clean channel :/

So my question is essentially:

Wouldn't it be a smart investment, to get a lunchbox head for the dirty channel and then buy a seperate solid state amp for the cleans?

Because moneywise, i would be paying like 800-1k for those, which is even cheaper than the 2 amps mentioned above AND I won't have to deal with the ....ty clean channels on those AND could start gigging earlier with just the lunchbox amp

What are your opinions on this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hachetjoel

Ibanez whore
Contributor
Reaction score
Just roll down your volume knob for cleans if you're trying to save money. Adam Jones clean channel is exactly that and it sounds amazing.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
Just get an A/B switch and use a pod bean or something else for cleans. Both ran into the return of the same amp. You can get a Pod 2.0 or XT bean for $50-70.

vick1000

Reaction score
The 100w tube power adds a lot of headroom and makes bass response much more pronounced.

Low wattage amps are great for traditional rock tones, but for tight agressive metal at stage volume, you want that headroom for low end.

After running all sorts of rigs for many years now, I found the best option for any volume, is a modeler or preamp into a tube power amp with EL34s or 6L6s.

A GSP1101 into a Mesa 2:50 and Mesa 412, is my current setup, and I will never go back. I plan on adding a Engl E530 into the GSP loop, but it's not needed.

Obstsalat

Reaction score
Okay thanks for the suggestions.

I REALLY like the idea with the POD. never thought of that.

But I also see vick1000's point about the low end. Doesn't make decisions easier.
However, I probably wont go the modeler route.

Bearitone

Reaction score
The 100w tube power adds a lot of headroom and makes bass response much more pronounced.

Low wattage amps are great for traditional rock tones, but for tight agressive metal at stage volume, you want that headroom for low end.

After running all sorts of rigs for many years now, I found the best option for any volume, is a modeler or preamp into a tube power amp with EL34s or 6L6s.

A GSP1101 into a Mesa 2:50 and Mesa 412, is my current setup, and I will never go back. I plan on adding a Engl E530 into the GSP loop, but it's not needed.

What he said ^^^
I tried low wattage heads and couldn't get the same response. I had a Dark Terror for awhile and absolutely loved it but, as soon as i turned it up it would start to fall apart. You want those extra watts for a tighter bass response and more aggressive attack especially if you're playing new-school metal and hardcore.

I think you should definitely save and get that 6505 (and try to get an American one). I've been through 7 amps and the 6505 is still my favorite for straight up, mean riffs.

Descent

Reaction score
I think for what you're trying to do you might as well get one amp, something that can handle both duties.
If you're set on lunchbox - look at the Mesa Mini Rectifier (used), got that a few months ago and it is very impressive. Great cleans and metal tones, switchable. It sounds pretty mean through a big speaker and is manageable for recording at lower levels.
You can also get some combos used, not sure if exactly at that price but I'll point you towards Mesa Noman, Mesa Express 5:25 or 5:50 (second probably better), or just look at Carvin V3 which is in your budget and can do 3 channels and is new.

I am sure you can find used 6505 head, Laney VH or GH heads (100 or 50), or used Marshall DSL2000 or TSL2000 that will fit your budget. Traynor YCV50B might also work well with boost in front.

PF Chang

Reaction score
The problem is that most of the lunchbox heads use EL84 power tubes, which flub out when cranked.

I've had better results with a 6V6 power section.

Obstsalat

Reaction score
alright thanks a lot for the input! It seems we have a consence here that 1 big boy is definately the way to go.

Probably going to look at used amps though.

I'm considering:

Marshall JCM 2000
Peavey 6505(+), maybe a JSX if i can score one cheap
Orange Rockerverb 50 (cheaper than 100 version)
ENGL Fireball 60 or Blackmore 100 go pretty cheap, too

Or I could ditch tubes and look into solid state/hybrid stuff. Randall V2 is super affordable. anyone experience with those?

Latest posts