Lundgren M7 Output that low?

• Thread starter Fretgrinder
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gh0styboi

El Stressperado
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't get along with the Lundgren stuff either, but this doesn't sound right. It should be pushing more than it sounds like it is

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fretgrinder

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yes. I checked everything with a multimeter. It's all well connected. I can measure the coils seperately (something around 6k + 7k.
I had send an email to lundgren about the wire colours but no answer since now.

The BurstbuckerPro is a hotter Alnico5 Version of the PAF.

I will try another thing today and try to record a little example.

Fretgrinder

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I promised an example, but i had to solve some issues first. I noticed a bunch of issues in my hole setup (weird noises) and i figured out,
that my interface reacted different to different ( high quality) cables and i had huge problems with interference frequencies.
My studio is in my attic and the solar panels above me made some nice frequencies that ruined every high gain sound.
Now with a new interface and suppresssed solar panels the sound is much better and the M7 sound much more defined (and great)

..but still not high in output than thought. But...
Johann Lundren answered me and my wiring and impedance is correct and the soapbar variant has less power than the open variant. They need
to be set really close to the strings.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
There's that fraction of an inch of height you're losing because of the soap bar cover. Believe it or not I feel that can make a difference

Fretgrinder

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I believe it. I'm used to keep some distance to the strings for dynamics. But with these it seems to be ok to go closer.

Currently i have a set of fluence modern to try in the guitar. Just for a comparison.
Holy cow, these are hot. The M7c are far away from that outout.

gh0styboi

El Stressperado
Reaction score
I believe it. I'm used to keep some distance to the strings for dynamics. But with these it seems to be ok to go closer.

Currently i have a set of fluence modern to try in the guitar. Just for a comparison.
Holy cow, these are hot. The M7c are far away from that outout.
The Fluences are really hot - too hot sometimes imo. Great pickups, but I definitely use the second voice waaaaaaaaaaay more than the 'modern' one for that reason. It's also less... middy.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
After recently pickup up a guitar with M7s in it - and reading a bunch of descriptions - I find it really hard to tell what these are "supposed" to sound like because descriptions are all over the place. I've never been big on super-high-output pickups, and I found these to be hotter than anything else I own. Some people describe them as really bassy while I find them really thin. The bass is there, but the pickups are so bright that relatively speaking they're shrill and "hifi" sounding. I can understand why some would like this, but it doesn't suit me at all. Compared to much more "basic" pickups - I've got some JB/59 sets, EMG 81/60, CL/LF, Evos, Parallel Axis, some random SD HSS set that I forget, etc., and the H7s are hotter than all of them easily.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
After recently pickup up a guitar with M7s in it - and reading a bunch of descriptions - I find it really hard to tell what these are "supposed" to sound like because descriptions are all over the place. I've never been big on super-high-output pickups, and I found these to be hotter than anything else I own. Some people describe them as really bassy while I find them really thin. The bass is there, but the pickups are so bright that relatively speaking they're shrill and "hifi" sounding. I can understand why some would like this, but it doesn't suit me at all. Compared to much more "basic" pickups - I've got some JB/59 sets, EMG 81/60, CL/LF, Evos, Parallel Axis, some random SD HSS set that I forget, etc., and the H7s are hotter than all of them easily.
You have to tune down really low to get that Lundgren M sound right. If you are tuning higher like B and up, I think the Lundgren Black Heavens would sound better. They satyrate more and they have more frequencies available instead of the hyper focused /dry M7 sound.

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
Yes. I checked everything with a multimeter. It's all well connected. I can measure the coils seperately (something around 6k + 7k.
I had send an email to lundgren about the wire colours but no answer since now.

The BurstbuckerPro is a hotter Alnico5 Version of the PAF.

I will try another thing today and try to record a little example.
I have had success wiring M7s in a couple of my guitars. I had an email chat with Johan about 2 years ago and this is what I got from him, compared to DiMarzio:

1718766937181.png

This is the most modern wiring color scheme he's using, to my knowledge.

On a side note I hope he's ok if he's not responding. He was very nice with me, even sent me a free T shirt after I bought my 3rd or 4th pickup from him.

BabUShka

Reaction score
The Burstbuckers sound much higher output than they are, for me it was like SD Distortion with all the highs and mids screaming.

I recently installed a M6 in a Ran Crusher 6, swircher from Blackouts. Its not high output. In addition. Its very "clinical" as they cut a lot mid/bass and boost around mid/high frequencies. I would lower the pickup and boost the amp with OD or turn the gain up. I used it in drop B and for me personally its the least boony pickup ive had.

Maybe the BKP Aftermaths it sinømular pickups would be better choise for you as it looks like you prefer the extra boost from the pickup itself. The Nailbomb is lower output than Aftermath and higher than Lundgren.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
from Blackouts
It's already been said, but your reference for what "hot pickups" means really matters here - Blackouts, if they're the ones I think they are, are already an insanely high output pickup. I had a set and hated them. If you put either of those next to something more plain, like a JB, and suddenly they both seem pretty hot in comparison.

BabUShka

Reaction score
It's already been said, but your reference for what "hot pickups" means really matters here - Blackouts, if they're the ones I think they are, are already an insanely high output pickup. I had a set and hated them. If you put either of those next to something more plain, like a JB, and suddenly they both seem pretty hot in comparison.

Cant argue this. I had to turn off boost and compressor with the Blackouts. They are just really insane. I know many people like them, but I like pickups which I can control with my setup

Fretgrinder

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
At this point my conclusion to this is:

The Soapbar variant M7c
- has less output than the open one ( I guess they have more output)
- needs to be as close to the strings as possible
- and/or might need a boost

The burstbucker Pro has a very prominent (upper) mid hump and seems to be louder than the M7c.
The M7 has a "flat" mids characteristic and very much lowend. I think, that and the string separation in low registers and tunings are the big points of them.

I think the M7 reacts very sensible to the guitars characteristic ( what i can hear from other comments)
In my guitar (basswood) they sound quiet fat and definded but there is a bit of a lack of upper mids and highs. I think it depends on my guitar, since other PUs have that too.

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This thread reminds me of a thought I had recently - how consistent do you think you could actually be to a spec with something like a pickup? Especially with something handwound, you know? Not to mention inconsistent materials. I wonder what the level of variance in pickup production might actually be...

lewis

Reaction score
Pair it with an on board boost. Like the emg afterburner or something similar. Totally transparent and just boosts output by like 10dbs or something.

elkoki

Reaction score
Hi,

just received my set of Lundgren M7 i was very excited about to try it out, but i´m a little disappointed.

I upgraded from a Duncan designed HB105 ( cheap version of SD blackout) active pickup and
expected a (very) high output pickup.

But the Pickup has the same output as my LesPauil with Burstbucker Pro Pickups
and this only very near to the strings (appr. 1,5mm) .

That near to the strings it gets a boomy, muddy and undefined and not with that defined active-like and sterile and that special "pissed of " sound.
I just doesn´t sound like the tons of sound examples on youtube.

If i dial it back it gets more defined but quieter as my LesPaul.

Is this normal? Did i expect too much?

My setup:

500k pots
22NF Cap
guitar: basswood body, maple neck
Strings: 9,5 to 64

Best regards
J

I have the M6 set on a Schecter Solo. I find they’re really clear and bright but the output isn’t that hot. I think they’re voiced this way for players who down tune and want clarity but also rely mostly on their amp for the high gain . I was a/bing them with Dimarzio Illuminators in my other Schecter and they were way hotter which kind of surprised me ..

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I have the M6 set on a Schecter Solo. I find they’re really clear and bright but the output isn’t that hot. I think they’re voiced this way for players who down tune and want clarity but also rely mostly on their amp for the high gain
Yep that was the intention. Gotta keep in mind this pickup was designed around a 7 string tuned half-step down into a Rectifier being boosted by an insanely powerful line driver/EQ