Lundgren M8 Triple Coil: WTF?

• Thread starter FrancescoFiligoi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daken1134

Reaction score
iceman+6.JPG

This isnt even the first time ibanez did it. the IC210 was from way back... like 1979

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jzbass25

Reaction score
I've had this idea but never had the chance to make this real haha

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
The only thing i can see this being used for is an alternative to coil tapping, having a switch to go from the two coils closest to the bridge, to the third coil, to get single coil tones and humbucker tones out of one pickup, without the awkward motion of pulling up a knob.

Of course, this can already be done with a regular humbucker. I'm gonna hold off on judgement until I hear this thing.

Jzbass25

Reaction score
I see it as more than just an alternative coil tapping. It has a coil closer to the neck so therefore you could have bridge bite but also extra fatness just not as fat as if it were mid position. I think they should have done adjustable pole pieces though.

Alekke

Octopus Djentalis
Reaction score
fu** it! Make an octocoil right away, and turn it 90° so each string has it's own coil :)

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
fu** it! Make an octocoil right away, and turn it 90° so each string has it's own coil :)

I had a plan like that once but never had the time or money to do it.
I want to see it done, damn it!
I imagine it would completely kill sustain though.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
I had a plan like that once but never had the time or money to do it.
I want to see it done, damn it!
I imagine it would completely kill sustain though.

i think it would have a thicker sound. imagine the difference between a single coil and a humbucker, for example. And let's take a noiseless single coil as the example. A single coil will only pick up a narrow band of the string. this gives you a very narrow tone, which is awesome for some things, not too great for others. A humbucker picks up much more strings, with two rows of polepieces, being two bands of string added together, covering a larger area of the string. 8 coils turned sideways, or just 4 small humbuckers really, would cover a huge area, and it would all add up to... i dunno, something!

i would love to see two huge coils with either many pole pieces, or just huge pole pieces. Imagine if both bobbins were double size, and had two rows of pole pieces, or just huge pole pieces, on each.

TBro

Reaction score
I was talking to Fredrik about this topic. Word for word:
"It's an Lundgren M8 with 3 coils that I can turn on, off and phase reverse independently."
Figured i'd let you guys know what he was doing with the triple coil, as triple coils interest me a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.