Mötley Crüe's Self-Titled Album turns 30

• Thread starter Louis Cypher
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
Quite a nice article on the album on UG

From Disappointment to Fan-Favorite: How Does Mötley Crüe's Self-Titled Album Hold Up 30 Years Later?

I still LOVE this album, it's easily my fav Crue album, followed by Dr Feelgood. They havn't recorded a decent album in the 30 yrs since this one imo. They should have stuck with Corabi and continued down this road that they actually started on with Primal Scream (one of their best tunes) but as the article says they bottled it. Also shit they never play any of these tune live either especially as Sixx keeps saying how much he likes this album over the last few years.
Long standing arguement on this too that if they had released this under a new band name instead of Motley Crue it may well have done better at the time, same as RATM minus Zack had the sense to rename themselves with Chris Cornell and they went on to have great success without being burdened by Soundgarden or RATM success coz the argument could always be made that this is a new band & not Soundgarden mk2.......

Last edited:

zappatton2

Reaction score
I adore this album. It's hard to say I like it better than classic Crue; Shout at the Devil is still a right banger, but I would say that it's so different that comparing them gets a little "apples and oranges".

But yeah, great album, really wish they continued with this lineup, think I'll throw this one on tonight while I make dinner.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nerdywhale

Reaction score
Big fan of this album. Can’t deny the band’s hits, but this album had a lot of seemingly effortless cool about it. If you disregard the commentary in The Dirt about it!

Agree that if they released this under another name it might’ve been looked upon more favourably. The Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains vibes are certainly there there. Both bands have roots in hair metal so I don’t think the style change is that far fetched. It’s a progression/elevation/maturation of hair metal… sits snugly in the middle of the hair metal/alternative Venn diagram.

And this era of Bob Rock production is unfuckwithable.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Self titled is Crue's best album by far. Actually great vocals, dynamic songwriting (heaviest shit they wrote on top of actually great ballads), Mick's tone is heavy as shit.
The irony of this is that Vince's solo album during this time was actually quite good as well.

It's like everyone in this band works better with someone else.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
The irony of this is that Vince's solo album during this time was actually quite good as well.

That's true, Vince carried on the party vibe but his solo album was pretty good coz he got in great songwriters like Blades & Shaw, ex Ozzy bassist Phil Soussan, and Steve Stevens, whos playing on the album is stella (and I think he played bass too on the record)

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

Dr. Feelgood is a decent album but yeah, it's like they lost chemistry very early on.

I'm giving Exposed a listen and tbh Vince sounds better than he does in Crue. The overall tone of his voice sounds slightly deeper so he's not straining his voice as hard.

Latest posts