Making My/Your Own Guitar Cables

• Thread starter Webmaestro
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm going to start making my own guitar cables (partly because I finally bought a good soldering station... and now I'm soldering everything in sight).

I'm a little out-of-the-loop on what's good bulk cable, plugs, etc. Obviously, there's a lot out there and it all looks pretty good, so I'm hoping for recommendations.

For those of you that make your own cables, what type/brand of cable and plugs do you like to use? The more specific you can be with model #'s, the better. I know all the big names, but it's actual model #'s that would really help me focus my search right now.

Thanks in advance!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mura

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I prefer Sommer's SC-Spirit LLX for cables.
It has the lowest capacitance (less electrical loss in the high frequencies).
I also like the fact that it is very soft and easy to handle on stage.

I am not particular about plugs, but I use silent plugs such as NEUTRIK's NP2X-AU-SILENT or SWITCHCRAFT's 182 for convenience and to prevent cable disconnection in case of emergency.
However, please note that silent plugs tend to be larger, so you may not be able to insert them into some guitar jacks.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
I think my most recent cable is Mogami star quad and Switchcraft (~1yr old). Before that was regular Mogami shielded instrument and Neutrik(~6 years old). Before that was an off-the-shelf Mogami platinum (~14 years old). All still in service the older ones are just too long for desk use - I only use them when the B-rig comes out. I don't play live though so ya know grain of salt and all that. The most important thing to get right is the strain relief and the best practice is patch cables. Those little f***ers will cut right out on you after you've fully assembled your board if you don't get it right.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I generally use Mogami for bulk cable and a few different types of connectors. Model 2524 cable and Neutrik connectors for the main long cables, then 2319 or 2314 cable with Squareplug connectors for patch cables. I'll also use Switchcraft connectors for certain applications where I don't necessarily need the super flat/short profile of the Squareplug offerings like for the effects loop send/return on amps or all the various connections in the back of my GCX switcher.

I get all my bulk parts from redco.com :yesway: they have a wide selection, good prices, and full spec sheets for most products so you can compare finer details like cable capacitance and circumference.

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions all. I hadn't heard of the Sommer's cable (I'm only creating guitar leads, not patch or pedalboard cables), so I'll check 'em out.

I was leaning toward the Mogami 2524 for cable with either Switchcraft or Neutrik plugs, but I'm still open to alternatives. I'll check out Redco. I've only been looking at ebay and Reverb thus far.

littlebadboy

Reaction score
While you're at it, because you mentioned that you're soldering everything on sight, you may opt to change your output jacks to Pure Tone multi contact jacks to have a good connection with your new cables. I know there's a lot of debate about it, but it gives me more security.

61nd8uNIVSS.jpg

juka

Reaction score
Having several Sommer, Klotz and Mogami cables in use currently, Mogami Platinum with Neutrik (silent) plugs is still my favorite all time combo.

Have the Tone Pro jacks in all my guitars, but really haven't noticed a difference to the Switchcraft ones I had before, yet.

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
Having several Sommer, Klotz and Mogami cables in use currently, Mogami Platinum with Neutrik (silent) plugs is still my favorite all time combo.

Have the Tone Pro jacks in all my guitars, but really haven't noticed a difference to the Switchcraft ones I had before, yet.
So, when searching for Mogami bulk cable... I can't find Gold, Platinum, etc. Those designators seems to only apply to their consumer (pre-made) cables. Am I missing something?

juka

Reaction score
So, when searching for Mogami bulk cable... I can't find Gold, Platinum, etc. Those designators seems to only apply to their consumer (pre-made) cables. Am I missing something?
Yes, that's actually a bit confusing with Mogami that their pre-made cables have designations like gold, platinum and overdrive while their bulk ware has 4 digit numbers.
I had link somewhere, but I can't find it atm. But there are several big online shops that carry Mogami bulk ware where you easily can figure out which is which.

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
Yes, that's actually a bit confusing with Mogami that their pre-made cables have designations like gold, platinum and overdrive while their bulk ware has 4 digit numbers.
I had link somewhere, but I can't find it atm. But there are several big online shops that carry Mogami bulk ware where you easily can figure out which is which.
Sweet. If you find that, do post it here. I have connectors, but I'm waiting to pull the trigger on cable (I'm not in a hurry).

I'll continue my own searching as well to see if I can turn them up. To my knowledge, this is all that's available from Mogami in bulk: https://mogamicable.com/category/bulk/

juka

Reaction score
Sweet. If you find that, do post it here. I have connectors, but I'm waiting to pull the trigger on cable (I'm not in a hurry).

I'll continue my own searching as well to see if I can turn them up. To my knowledge, this is all that's available from Mogami in bulk: https://mogamicable.com/category/bulk/
Found my link, it was a German online store:
https://www.mes-musik.de/epages/MES...onik_DigitalMediaService/Products/MGM-1004888

3368 = Overdrive
2524 = Platinum
2319 = Gold

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
Last edited:

Latest posts