Making the ultimate couch guitar (rosewood acoustic build)

kslespaul

Reaction score
Hey guys, just figured you may get a kick out of a build I recently finished. I managed to get my grubby little paws on some pretty nice East Indian rosewood so I decided to try my hand at making a 00 acoustic out of it. AGB2.jpg AGB4.jpg AGB5.jpg AGB3.jpg AGB6.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kslespaul

Reaction score
And there you have it, my first acoustic build. Definitely a lot to improve on but she plays pretty well and the rosewood top imparts a pretty interesting sound. I'm very happy with how everything turned out.

Edika

Reaction score
That looks great man, the rosewood on the guitar is beautiful and a maple neck with a mae fretboard is awesome and quite unusual.

I always was curious how the neck was attached to the guitar body on acoustics amd classic guitars but I didn't expect it to be glued only to the body amd fretboard on the top. I thought there was a pocket for.the neck to go into like on the electric guitars. Learned something new!

kslespaul

Reaction score
@Edika actually your first instinct was right. The traditional way of building an acoustic neck joint is to use a mortise and tenon much as you would on a set neck electric guitar. However, some major manufacturers, like Taylor, and private luthiers (Bourgeois), instead make use of a bolt on design similar to the one I used here. Basically, I flush mounted the heel and ran two bolts into threaded inserts through the heel block.
The joint ends up being just as stable and it is much less of a headache to reset the neck angle in the future if you need to (this is common with acoustics as they age).
Glad you like it!

Last edited:

MoonJelly

a subtle stinging sensation..
Reaction score
I like the little anvil motif. That would be an awesome logo for a shredder electric guitar. :hbang: