Mayones Duvell7 vs Regius7 vs Setius7

• Thread starter Voron
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Genome

Reaction score
Quite close to ordering a custom Duvell Elite 7. It's pretty much specced out great for me already, I'd just like fret inlays and a blue finish. The only thing that slightly concerns me is a lack of arm contour, do you find that is a hindrance?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Aymara

Reaction score
But Personally Regius has a most comfortable neck and it's really stands forward from Duvell and Setius!

Interesting, but that's what I expected from a neck through design ... or has it a different reason?

... do you find that is a hindrance?

Interesting question.

Let me add a further one ... I was a bit astonished about the scale length of only 25.5" compared to 26.5" on my Schecter Hybrid C-1, where standard strings already result in a bit floppy low E string in drop D tuning. Might that be a downside on a Duvell Elite 7 in drop A tuning or require thicker strings or at least a thicker low B?

PS: I don't know, if that was mentioned in the reviews, because I don't understand French. I saw by chance, that Mayones is on the list of vendors, who use a Plek machine to create perfect fret dressings.

oversteve

Reaction score
Great videos but do all the guitars have same pickups? If not then it's more of a review then comparison considering it might be just an unfitting pickup combination for this or that model specs and it will fail due to that

Aymara

Reaction score

oversteve

Reaction score
Voron said he will do them on same amp in the final vid so the main concern is different pups unless they were all swapped to the same ones

Aymara

Reaction score
I think even with different pickups a comparison on the same amp would be interesting.

Aymara

Reaction score
Let me add a further question ... I was a bit astonished about the scale length of only 25.5" compared to 26.5" on my Schecter Hybrid C-1, where standard strings already result in a bit floppy low E string in drop D tuning. Might that be a downside on a Duvell Elite 7 in drop A tuning or require thicker strings or at least a thicker low B?

I can answer my own question now, because today I was lucky to find a shop, that had both the Regius and Duvell 7-strings.

And yes, my fear is definitely the brutal truth. Both guitars were optimized for a B Standard tuning. That means the tension in standard tuning is already pretty low ... the tension feels like a Les Paul ... plays like butter, as we say in Germany. When I down tuned the low B string to drop A, the string felt very floppy and I needed to pick very carefully to avoid buzzing.

Furthermore the nut is quite low, so the action is pretty low from the first fret onward over the whole board. That will result in the need of a new nut in my opinion, if thick strings for low tunings are desired.

Totally unbelievable ... why does Mayones use 25.5 instead of 26.5" scale for a 7-string Metal axe? I think my assumption is correct, that most 7-string Metal players use Drop A or even lower tunings, right? These axes are better suited for Jazz in standard tuning, but for that genre the pickups don't fit.

Personal conclusion: Next I will try my beloved Schecter Hybrid C-1 as the C-7 version. The search for the perfect 7-string goes on in my case.

bsshiver

Reaction score
Mayones also makes their 7 strings in a baritone scale, if I remember correctly. I have a Duvell Standard 7 with a 25.4 inch scale, and I ended up putting a 68 on the low B to tune it down to A flat. It works for me, though I think my next 7 will be at least 26.5 inches.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
I can answer my own question now, because today I was lucky to find a shop, that had both the Regius and Duvell 7-strings.

And yes, my fear is definitely the brutal truth. Both guitars were optimized for a B Standard tuning. That means the tension in standard tuning is already pretty low ... the tension feels like a Les Paul ... plays like butter, as we say in Germany. When I down tuned the low B string to drop A, the string felt very floppy and I needed to pick very carefully to avoid buzzing.

Furthermore the nut is quite low, so the action is pretty low from the first fret onward over the whole board. That will result in the need of a new nut in my opinion, if thick strings for low tunings are desired.

Totally unbelievable ... why does Mayones use 25.5 instead of 26.5" scale for a 7-string Metal axe? I think my assumption is correct, that most 7-string Metal players use Drop A or even lower tunings, right? These axes are better suited for Jazz in standard tuning, but for that genre the pickups don't fit.

Personal conclusion: Next I will try my beloved Schecter Hybrid C-1 as the C-7 version. The search for the perfect 7-string goes on in my case.

As mentioned above, Mayones makes 7's in 25.4" and 27" for most of their models. The Regius is available in 25.4 and 27". For the Duvell I think they only offer the standard scale length.

Throughout much of the history of 7 string guitars they have been in non-baritone scale lengths. The current obsession with baritone scale lengths is a little overblown in my opinion, and is quickly becoming a market bias (now everyone thinks that a 7 must have a 26.5" scale or larger or else its not for metal). Scale length is player preference and there are many guitarists who prefer regular scale length 7's, I happen to be one of them.

For reference, I am using a 25" scale 7 string (PRS SE 7) and I often put it in Drop Ab (G#) to play some periphery with a 60 on the bottom and it works just fine. In Drop A the standard 10-46+60 gauge provides more than enough tension.

Just because you prefer baritone scale lengths for 7's doesn't mean everyone does and there is no rule book that says "to play metal/prog/djent you need a baritone scale length 7". Moreover, there is nothing wrong with putting on thicker gauge strings to compensate for the non-baritone scale (this is common practice). In fact, especially on this board, people are obsessed with putting very thick gauges even on baritone scale length guitars, so upping string gauge is a common practice for some players out there.

Aymara

Reaction score
Yep, now that you mention it, I remember the 27" option.

Ok, lets' assume I would prefer the standard scale for lighter string tension and easier bendings and would choose a thicker B string for Drop A tuning. Wouldn't it cause work needed on the nut? I mean not only a wider slot ... the slots were already very low / deep ... I would expect issues with fret buzz.

No problems in your experience?

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Yep, now that you mention it, I remember the 27" option.

Ok, lets' assume I would prefer the standard scale for lighter string tension and easier bendings and would choose a thicker B string for Drop A tuning. Wouldn't it cause work needed on the nut? I mean not only a wider slot ... the slots were already very low / deep ... I would expect issues with fret buzz.

No problems in your experience?

Sometimes you may need to file the nut, other times its not necessary, it depends on how the nut was originally filed and what the stock string gauge was in comparison to what you want to replace it with. Usually the most you need to do is just file the nut a bit to accommodate the thicker string, I've never had to buy a new nut because I put on a thicker gauge and the nut was cut too low (but its not out of the realm of possibility).

If you're unsure, just take it to a qualified/trusted tech and have them file the nut for you and perform a proper setup with the new gauge. Odds are you will not need to replace the nut, even if the nut was already cut deep. A lot of retailers offer you a free setup to your specs upon purchase of an instrument.

If you liked the Regius but want the baritone scale you could simply order a baritone model of the Regius.

I have no clue what the stock gauge strings are for Mayones 7 strings and if this differs from one model to the next or not. It is possible they are using 10-56 gauge strings which would result in a floppy low A. Throwing on a standard d'addario 7 string set (10-59) would likely solve the issue with floppyness; if not, then you can try a 60 or 62, or go higher if you're the type that likes super thick low strings.

Aymara

Reaction score
I think I should make a second test run in that shop. I guess the stock strings were pretty light ... the tension was very low, even for 25.5", so I guess maybe a .9 set instead of .10, which I usually use on all of my guitars.

Regarding the feel, I'm pretty undecided between the two models, though the Regius looked more higher end with it's nice binding and the neck felt smoother. But it was the swamp ash body and I prefer mahagony for warmer cleans.

I wish the top of the Regius wouldn't be so flat and would have a maple cap on a mahogany body like my Hybrid.

Mmh, how long are the wait times for a custom? 6-12 months? Price would be shocking I guess?

Relinquish69

Reaction score
I would prefer the Regius simply because I feel that offset shapes tend to be more balanced and comfortable when standing up. Personal preference.

Voron

Reaction score
All Mayones can be purchased with 27" scale or even 25.5-27" FF scales. And I speaking about serial models not a custom orders. So it's not a problem to get one, just your personal preferences to decide :)

I personally prefer Regius for 2 reasons:
- better overall build quality
- neck though design (more resonant and better sustain)

I've tested several new Mayones and they are all perfectly places in terms of price range. It's really simple, more money you pay for - better guitar you will get :)

It's not always true with different brands but with Mayones it exactly what happens :)

Aymara

Reaction score
I personally prefer Regius for 2 reasons ...

I hope they will bring the new announced (for NAMM) Regius Core with a carved mapled top and mahogany body also as a 7-string :bowdown:

yellowshiva

Reaction score
That's just a Gothic model in purple ... nothing new. The Regius is available as a Gothic model too. Check Mayones' website ;)
Anyway this a custom color, we do not see this every day.

here a regius with same finish:
DSC09983.JPG

Aymara

Reaction score
Anyway this a custom color, we do not see this every day.

I guess, this is going to change and violet becomes the new trend.

My new Schecter Hybrid e.g. is available only in two colors so far, trans-black and trans-violet ... a third one was introduced at NAMM called Ultraviolet, which is a multi-color lacquer, that changes it's color from blue to violet depending on the lighting.

In case of the Mayones Gothic models I myself would prefer red ... a matter of taste.

But from the pure looks my Mayones favourite is the red Duvell with poplar top:

1c77a4d7e011b0f65db30a1541156748.jpg

Latest posts