Mayones stock string sets?

• Thread starter Aymara
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Aymara

Reaction score
Yesterday I had the chance to test a Regius and a Duvell 7-string (both in 25.5" version) in a shop.

I noticed that both had so low string tension, that Drop A resulted in a very floppy low B string.

The same happened on a 6-string Regius, when I tried Drop D ... a floppy E string.

Are those Mayones stock strings .9 sets? Any info about their stock strings?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SunOfNothing10

Reaction score
Mayones actually use a 25.4" scale length, so that could contribute to the low string tension

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure my Setius 7 came strung with 10-60's stock.

You're also not going to feel any difference between a 25.5" scale guitar and 25.4" scale guitar. Just way too small to make a difference.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
25.5" to 26.5"+ then fair enough, but 0.01"? My Mayones feels like exactly the same tension as my other 25.5" scale guitars.

Your intonation will have a bigger effect on tension. Try measuring from the nut to the end of the saddle on the low B. It will likely be longer than the scale length, if its intonated correctly.

Aymara

Reaction score
Ok, to correct things, yes the Mayo has 25.4" and compared to my Gretsch Falcon (25.5") strung with .10-.46, the string tension on the Mayo in the shop felt more like on a short scale Les Paul, in other words noticably softer as my Falcon.

And because 0.01" can't make a noticable difference in string tension, I guessed, that it might be a .9 set, that came stock.

Next time I will directly compare to the Falcon in that shop ... luckly they have one too.

Reaction score
A set of 10's are stock on Mayones guitars. It might be the headstock angle that gives it a different feel, or a different break angle over the bridge. All those things contribute to percieved tension. My 24,75" scale Ibanez feels like the strings are tighter than on my 25,5" G&L, which both are strung with the same brand and size strings. Just different hardware.

Aymara

Reaction score
All those things contribute to percieved tension.

The tailpiece height compared to the TOM of a Les Paul also has an influence on the tension feeling. But that the headstock angle plays a role too ... never heard that before. But what else should it be? It don't think, it's the bridge though, because when I compare my Schecter Hybrid C-1 with a KM6, it's a comparison of TOM versus Hipshot bridge on the same scale length and the tension feels the same on both guitars.

Interesting topic!

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
It could have been restrung at some point with 9's, I guess you never know unless you take a digital caliper in with you and measure the strings.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
It probably just had lighter strings on. There's some variation between gauges in .10 sets depending on the brand, anyway.

Aymara

Reaction score
Oh, btw ... does anybody know about the wait times for Mayones custom shop orders? How long?

jjcor

Reaction score
Oh, btw ... does anybody know about the wait times for Mayones custom shop orders? How long?

9-10 months. I ordered my reguis back in March and it will be arriving next week. So 10 for me:wavey:

Aymara

Reaction score
9-10 months.

Thanks, that was to be expected after I saw, that Music Store, one of Germany's greatest sellers, has to wait until end of March for a new delivery of standard Regiuses.

Aymara

Reaction score
Back to the stock strings ... I saw that Music Store in Cologne recommends 10-56 sets for the Duvell Elite 7, so this might also be the stock gauge?

From my playing experience in the shop, I would guess 10-59 would be a better choice for Drop A or a standard 10-46 six string set with a separate D'Addarrio B string in 59 or even thicker?

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Try 9-42, 9.5-44 or a 10-46 with a low 62/64/66/68 and see what works best.

From there you can swap out gauges for thicker or lighter ones.

Aymara

Reaction score

First I would need to buy one ;) ... but I'm still undecided between the Regius and Duvell Elite.

I guess my dream Mayones would be a mahogany Regius with maple neck and a maple top similar to the Setius, but a Hipshot bridge. But I'm undecided regarding the scale length option.

So the conclusion should be a Custom, but I fear, I'm not patient enough to wait nearly one year.

Aymara

Reaction score
I am so blind ... Mayones' website mentions an SIT S1060 Powerwound string set for the 7-string vesrion of Duvell and Regius and S1046 for the 6-string.

Never played SIT strings ... and I gues they don't have lower tension as e.g. D'Addarrio XL of the same gauge?

Aymara

Reaction score
Yesterday I went back to the shop for a further try of the Regius 7 and the playability changed drastically compared to my last try.

I interviewed the shop guy and he told me, that the stock SIT strings became dull pretty fast and he restrung it with a .10-.59 set of D'Addario XL ... perfect, works like a charm in Drop A and sounds awesome.

Today I gave it a further try and now I'm a happy owner of a swamp ash Regius 7 Gothic with Seymour Duncan Blackouts ...

Mayones Regius 7 Gothic - dark side of soul guitar with black gothic ash top

... my long search for a 7-string is over, yeah :D