Mesa Mark IV Combo or keep my Dual Rectifier??!

Chewy5150

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I need help on making a new amp change.. My instructor is currently selling his Mark IV Combo and I'm wondering if it'll be a good swap for what I use right now which is a 3 channel Dual Rec.

The Mark IV combo definitely has it perks being a combo as I'll finally have a tube amp to use for home practice and recording as well as live but I have a few questions..

Is the Mark IV combo a good step up from the Dual Rec?

I pretty much use my Dual Rec for my tech death band so can I get those tones from the Mark IV?

I have two 2x12 cabs I run and would still like to use them with the Combo. I'd imagine I can hook the up depending on Ohms right?

Any additional info helps!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Khaerruhl

Reaction score
Tell him you're interested and would like to try it out. Try to get your tones out from it, but be aware that since it's a different rig than the one you normally use, you might get into the ballpark of the same tone you're used with, but not the exact thing.

Chewy5150

Reaction score
I definitely will. He'll probably let me hold onto it for a while just to mess around with so that'll give me more time to compare everything.

Fryderyczek

Hates UG, the ....s
Reaction score
I wouldn't. A Mark wouldn't do that heavy metal without a boost-a rectifier with ease would.

Besides, I'd get a Mark V if I were to trade.

Chewy5150

Reaction score
I already have an OD808 I could use to boost the Mark IV which I use for my Dual Rec since its a flubby amp. Would the Mark be tighter? I could always resell it for sure.

protest

Reaction score
The Mark is way tighter. You could probably use a boost to make it more aggressive, but Mark IV's can be plenty aggressive with the right settings. The cab will make a bigger difference than the boost, as the combo version doesn't have the low end punch required for real heavy stuff.

The Mark is also a very different amp. You'll probably want to demo it with whoever you jam with before you buy it. Since it's your instructor selling it, you might be able to borrow it for a weekend or something, and give him the dual as collateral.

Chewy5150

Reaction score
If its tighter my interest for the Mark IV has definitely increased haha.

I imagine the Mark has a way better clean channel too?

While my only gigging band at the time is playing death metal I want an amp that can be versatile as I mostly play other styles like jazz or blues at home (and eventually live if I ever acquire the time). Plus I'd need to sell my Dual Rec to fund the Mark IV haha.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Its a totally different amp in feel and sound. The EQ is completely different too and it can take some time to wrap your head around it, so if you can borrow it for a few days, that is what I would do.

You probably won't need a boost with it, they sound pretty tight when EQ'd right, and have plenty of gain on tap. Not like rectos at all, where a boost is pretty much required (imo).

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Is the Mark IV combo a good step up from the Dual Rec?

It's not so much a step up as a step sideways. I personally prefer the Mark amps to Rectos. They're tighter for the most part- the character of the low end is entirely different.

I disagree a bit about needing a boost for metal but it'll depend on what kind of sound you're going for- The IVs don't have the gobs of gain that a recto or 5150 style amp would have, but I find the full range of the gain knob is usable- as opposed to the last time I tried a triple recto, the gain anywhere past maybe a quarter was just fizzy mush. If you really want that super-saturated-gain-for-days thing, a boost will get you there.

I'm biased of course 'cause I use a Mark IV as my main amp, but I think it's great.

Promit

Reaction score
The Mark is definitely a different sound, though I prefer the IIC+ to the IV and the Recto over both.

dongh1217

Reaction score
Owned Triaxis, II C+, MarkIV in the past, Mark series tone sounds so good and singing for sure:hbang:, but I miss that recto aggression:shred:.

Its a personal taste thing IMO, I recently brought a newer Multi-Watt Dual and I love it.

protest

Reaction score
I'm going to try to save you some time if you do demo it.

The lead mode has multiple factors that affect gain. First is the Harmonic/Mid Gain switch. Mid gain will be heavier feeling, and Harmonic will be dryer and tighter, a little VHT like. After that there is the Gain knob. Always pull the gain knob for metal. Set the gain way up, higher than you would on any "metal" amp. You can go to 10 if you want depending on the other settings/volume.

The next gain control is treble. Set it high, around 7-8. After that there is the Lead Drive. Pulling this adds saturation and can get squeally at high volume, or if mid gain is also turned on. Basically use this to get the gain as high as it can go before it becomes too much. After that there is the Presence knob. Pulling it will give it a scooped, liquid feeling that's awesome for leads, leaving it in will be way more mid focused and punchier. Harmonic + Presence pushed will be pretty VHT sounding and feeling. I think I used to run Harmonic and pulled Presence or Mid Gain and pushed Presence, I could have that backwards though lol.

Turning the Presence up will add more gain, but after a certain point the high end will be overbearing. The last gain control is the channel volume. Turning that up will give you more gain, but the master volume control will be super touchy.

The general rule for the EQ knobs is this Treble - High, Bass - Low, Mids - Middle.

The EQ sliders are super powerful. Scoop the 750 slider, but not all the way. Basically I would set it in the V shape and then tweak from there. You'll hear how each slider affects the tone.

EQ Knobs:

Sample Settings (This is all from memory so these settings could sound awful lol):

Mid Gain
Lead Gain: 8 (Pulled)
Treble: 8
Bass: 1.5
Mid: 6
Lead Drive: 9 (Pushed)
Presence: 3 (Pushed)
Channel Vol: 4
Master: However loud you need it

Silders

80hz - slightly above the center line
240 - Slightly above the 80hz
750 - A little above the bottom line (not the line from the box outline)
2200 - Same level as 240
6600 - A little below top line (again the line inside the box, not the line from the box. You'll know what I mean when you see it)

Chewy5150

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses thus far guys!

From the sound of it the Mark IV has more things I can tweak tone wise which could be beneficial. Right now my recto is basically set with the mids cranked, presence and bass low, treble up decently but my gain only a little past noon. Although I have it boosted the gain knob is completely off on my OD808. I like to hear the note separation with the for my rhythms which I guess doesn't sound very death metal haha but still retaining that chunk. I also run a 5 band EQ through my loop for more shaping. I also run it with E34Ls. Both guitars are setup with Aftermaths. I dig my tone usually but could always be better and the clean seems a little limp no matter how I set it.

I may go with the Mark just because I'm getting Recto tonal fatigue haha.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I'm going to try to save you some time if you do demo it. [Tone Advice Here]

Sounds about right. I think a lot who use this amp end up in the same rough ballpark of settings. What I'm using right now:

- Harmonics/Triode/Simul for the switches in the back
- Gain, Lead, and Treble all set to 7.5-ish
- Mid 6
- Bass 3 (higher than a lot of people would go, and it's only 3)
- Presence: around 3 at low volume, 5 at band volume
- Channel volume between 3-4

I set the sliders to be V shape-ish- the highest and lowest sliders half way up to the next line, and the mids just nudged down a bit.

viesczy

Reaction score
The Recto and Mark lines give great tones! How to pick one... why not ask which eye to get plucked out!

A few years ago I had a NEED for another high end amp and I settled on Mesa, and I too was torn between the Mark and the Recto line, I ended up going with the Road King II as I liked the tones best. Don't get me wrong, the Mark V sounded killer as well, but the TONES I thought of when the name Mesa is brought up all came from the RKII more than the Mark V.

Yeah, I still would LOVE to have a V though!

Derek

antuni

Reaction score
Both great amps but you can't get that Recto sound from the Mark IV.
Try the new multiwatt Recto or the Old 2 Channel.

decreebass

Business Secrets of the Pharoahs
Reaction score
I LOVE the Mark IV sound. I use channel 2 almost exclusively for my personal music project:

http://www.reverbnation.com/mrmediocrity

Listen to "The End," and the next two songs in the series ("Released" and "Supernova") - I love the channel when it's just on the verge of breaking up. I'm using my Music Man Albert Lee (which may be a part of the magic). I can approximate the sound using my Mark V on channel 2 "Edge" setting.

Bottom line, the Mark series is an amazing array of tones; you won't be disappointed. It won't be just like your Recto, but you won't care :)

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
the Mark V sounded killer as well

I've got the V:25 and the IV right now, and I've played around with a V in some stores- I find that the V is it's own thing compared to the IV. The IV modes don't quite have the same magic as an actual IV to my ears. Opinions will vary. All good stuff though. Other guitarist in one of my bands has a Roadster, it sounds pretty brilliant too. I don't think you can really go wrong with any of these.

Chewy5150

Reaction score
Grabbed the Mark IV last night but didn't get a chance to play it yet. It's got new tubes, speaker upgrade, and its practically mint. I'll send out my initial thoughts after I do a rehearsal with it!

Shask

Reaction score
The Recto and Mark series are like opposite sides of the same family.

Mark series are WAY tighter than Rectos. very clear defined sound, but that also makes them sound not as huge and big as a Recto. They are very focused and clear where a recto is huge and pummeling.

Just listen to a Lamb of God song. That is what the Mark series sounds like. Another example is Metallica on Puppets, Justice, or the Black album.

Both are great amps, it just depends on which you prefer.