Meshuggah fans, need advice

• Thread starter mountainjam
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mountainjam

Reaction score
Man I think im just gonna buy them all. After listening to obzen probably 20 times now, im vibing these guys are just to good to release something thats anything but brilliant. Im just blown away at the complexity these guys are getting by playing mostly single notes. Honestly, I can't remember listing to any music since getting stoned for the first few times back in the day and listening to pink floyd and feeling like I was just in another dimension, for lack of better words. This is some powerfull music, in a strange dark and trippy way. But you guys already knew that :cool:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

astaroth

Reaction score
I think anything after DEI is worth getting, contradictions I felt was pretty ho-hum, not much of a listen for me.

CrownofWorms

Reaction score
Wait they sell Meshuggah at Best Buy? Oh yeah thats possible since I bought Evisceration Plague and planning on buying the new Bodom.....off topic

Yeah it is great album. Haven't bought it yet but I have Destroy Erase Improve since it is my fav album to date. I prefer earlier Meshuggah But their recent stuff is still amazing

highlordmugfug

themuthaphukkindeath
Reaction score
The re-release is actually my favorite. But I'm no Meshuggah authority.
I really loved the strength the drums had on the original, and the slack feel the guitars had. On the rerelease, the drums are really toned down, sound a lot weaker, and are a lot lower in the mix, and the guitars are 'too tight' for me. The slack, on the verge of falling apart feel that the original had was what completely drew me in.

-42-

Nothing to see here
Reaction score
Considering that pretty much every single Meshuggah album will be recommended at some point during this thread, I advise the following course of action:

Go to YouTube, listen to selections from every album you can find.

Buy which one you like the most.

DanielKRego

Reaction score
I LOOOOOOVE the original Nothing, I can't stand the rerelease. :shrug:

The re-release is actually my favorite. But I'm no Meshuggah authority.

I really loved the strength the drums had on the original, and the slack feel the guitars had. On the rerelease, the drums are really toned down, sound a lot weaker, and are a lot lower in the mix, and the guitars are 'too tight' for me. The slack, on the verge of falling apart feel that the original had was what completely drew me in.

Not to derail the thread, but I still can't pick between the two.

The original had a sludgy, loose, earthy sound, which worked really well for tracks like Stengah, Spasm and Straws Pulled At Random.

The re-recorded re-release, on the other hand, has a much tighter, and more floating, almost spacey vibe to the guitars and drums, which works better for tracks like Rational Gaze, Perpetual Black Second and ESPECIALLY Closed Eye Visuals (probably my favourite Meshuggah song, and I think it just FEELS much better on the re-recorded Nothing).

So it's a tie between the two, I guess. At the end of the day, the debate for me is how the productions make the songs FEEL, and the re-recorded Nothing just feels much better for some songs, and the original for others.