Metal Bands per 100'000 people Diagram

• Thread starter Trespass
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tedtan

Reaction score
^ The greatest concentrations are in the countries with English as a second language (Scandanavia and the rest of northern Europe). The rest of us (including the native English speaking countries) are losing out by a wide margin if you look at the nubers the colors represent.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
Right, just as I said, all of the English speaking countries have the most metal bands according to this diagram. Interesting as you noted though that the US, Canada, Australia, and UK are still far far far behind most of Europe when looking at what the numbers represent. The margins drop just as much if not more for nearly all countries that arent English speaking. Very interesting

Phrygian

Lefty
Reaction score
And this is why nobody shows up to gigs in Norway anymore, we have an overabundance of bands, so people only pay attention to the bands they know.

Reaction score
I've seen this before. Hail northern Europe!

And this is why nobody shows up to gigs in Norway anymore, we have an overabundance of bands, so people only pay attention to the bands they know.

Is this really true? I see you live in Oslo, so you would know first hand.

Polythoral

Hipster Mustaine
Reaction score
The metal scene is growing slowly. There's a small metalfest in Namibia and the Kenyan and Botswana scene are pretty solid now:shred:.
Metal is still relatively new in this part of the world though (except South Africa)

Absence of light from Kenya:

Where does a band in Kenya get production that solid, jesus.

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
Right, just as I said, all of the English speaking countries have the most metal bands according to this diagram. Interesting as you noted though that the US, Canada, Australia, and UK are still far far far behind most of Europe when looking at what the numbers represent. The margins drop just as much if not more for nearly all countries that arent English speaking. Very interesting

Chile has more than 'Murica :woot:

OT: Digging Samadhi :D

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
^ The greatest concentrations are in the countries with English as a second language (Scandanavia and the rest of northern Europe). The rest of us (including the native English speaking countries) are losing out by a wide margin if you look at the nubers the colors represent.
Yeah, but don't forget it's still a /ihnabitant graph.
With comparable levels, the country with more inhabitants will have more bands.
Also keep in mind that this graph has quite big categories, you can have three times as much as another and still be in the same range.

Which means that norway is just crazy. :lol:

Phrygian

Lefty
Reaction score
^ yup, that's pretty much how it is! There Are so many shows and they Are not that cheap ($15-20 In average) so everyone stick to shows where they know a band or two. And Even then it's not certain they'll go - people Are getting "lazy" about shows. And it's pretty expensive for bands to rent a venue ($1000 up) so being a band here is pretty difficult really.

Edit: this counts mostly to Oslo and the bigger cities, the smaller towns like Bodø, Harstad and so on (25-50000 people) there aren't as many shows so people Are not as picky so more people will show up at shows with bands they might not necessarily know. But there Are still an overabundance Of bands In this country.

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
how are the things there? the only canadians bands I know are Protest and The Devin Townsend Project :lol:

Off the top of my head;

Augury
Atheretic
Beyond Creation
Cryptopsy
Beneath the Massacre
Gorguts
Obliveon
Vengeful
First Fragment
Neuraxis
Unexpect
Symbolic
Despised Icon
Katakylsm
Negativa
The Agonist
Martyr
Quo Vadis
Voivod

I'm forgetting many, but it gives an idea. What makes me "proud" of this city is not so much the amount of metal bands coming out but general quality they have as well... Quebec has a very good music scene in general I would say.

skarz

Reaction score
Is that Bhutan over there rocking some metal?

DEmon nomads:
215493_169781139742781_144152632305632_347804_5558694_n.jpg

sarcophagus.png

38846_143250272367211_142845099074395_343540_4848527_n.jpg

unfortunately, I don't find any vids (or sound) on the web.

For all interested in the international metal scene, check:
METAL WORLD

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
Off the top of my head;

Augury
Atheretic
Beyond Creation
Cryptopsy
Beneath the Massacre
Gorguts
Obliveon
Vengeful
First Fragment
Neuraxis
Unexpect
Symbolic
Despised Icon
Katakylsm
Negativa
The Agonist
Martyr
Quo Vadis
Voivod

I'm forgetting many, but it gives an idea. What makes me "proud" of this city is not so much the amount of metal bands coming out but general quality they have as well... Quebec has a very good music scene in general I would say.

AGREE 100%

if i was single and had no parental responsiblities, i might actually pick up some french and move to montreal. extrememly talented musicians in montreal, probably my fav place to be even on a day where no out of towners are playing, plus the food is boss, i love montreal smoked meat sandwhiches

protest

Reaction score
I like the island up above Norway. 12 people live there, and 5 of them are in a black metal band.

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
Off the top of my head;

Augury
Atheretic
Beyond Creation
Cryptopsy
Beneath the Massacre
Gorguts
Obliveon
Vengeful
First Fragment
Neuraxis
Unexpect
Symbolic
Despised Icon
Katakylsm
Negativa
The Agonist
Martyr
Quo Vadis
Voivod

thanks a lot, repped :)