Metal Friendly Noise Cancelling Headphones

• Thread starter JimF
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone got any recommendations for noise cancelling headphones that don't sound like garbage for metal?
I've been using some basic Bluetooth over ears from Amazon, and whilst they're good, I'm having to turn the music up louder and louder to drown out the idiots at work. These were only about £30/$40, and whilst I know I'll have to spend, I'll like to keep the cost under £100/$120.
Another issue I have with over ears is that the cartilage of my ears sticks out in a ridge (just Googled it, its the antihelix) and I find a lot of headphones don't have enough depth between the cushion and the speaker face. My friend has some of those industry standard open backed Sony cans that the podcast crews use and they weren't great.
Any recommendations?

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Open backs will all be shit for noise cancelling compared to closed.

I don't know about fitment, but I would get these and replacement tips. I have a pair and they're great. Filters out about 14 hours of A350 drone entirely on one charge and the audio quality is very good. They don't get ridiculously loud, but they get loud enough for rational people.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks! Will check them out. I absolutely won't e getting open backs, I just used them as an example for fit. Fortunately I have pretty typical ear holes and don't have issues with in-ears.
They look good - loudness isn't really a huge issue if they cancel the background noise at the same time. Is that a thing noise cancelling headphones do? Or is it an either/or situation (noise cancelling or music)?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I have the XM4 Sonys and absolutely love them. IMO, the premium price over something like the Samsung Galaxy Buds is well worth it (not that the Samsungs are cheap...). At least with the XM4's, I find that there's a considerable bass boost when you do use the active noise cancellation, but you also have a 5 band EQ + bass boost to calibrate it to your tastes.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
I used to use Jaybird vista 2 headphones and they were pretty good, especially if you're moving around a lot or getting them sweaty/dirty. They had pretty good retention imo.
The only issue I had with the Vista 2 is that one of the buds would refuse to charge due to software issues, and then there were issues with the magnetic latching later on. I had the original vistas and had none of those problems, but they weren't quite as durable.

The Sennheiser CX Plus headphones I have currently are much more neutral sounding and have far better noise cancellation imo, but they're not quite as good at staying in place for me (ymmv). I tested them against my Sennheiser HD6XX setup at home and they more than held their own soundwise.

I can't really help with wireless over ears since I haven't had any in quite some time.

DoctorStoner

θάλλ
Reaction score
I just use the old school wired Skullcandy Jibs. They're not noise cancelling but I use them on planes and all that and they do a good job on their own. They're also my favorite sounding earbuds and typically $10-15, so win-win for me.

gasolinedreams

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just use my Sennheiser HD25's that I've had forever at work and such. They're not noise cancelling but they do a pretty good job of keeping noise out anyway. They don't sound the best, but they are pretty good beater headphones. All of the parts are replaceable too, which is a big plus to me when considering headphones that you bring with you everywhere. I've had mine for like 10+ years. I've had to replace the cable a few times and the cushions once.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
I've since found out that noise cancelling doesn't really work for people talking, and is more for removing a baseline of drone, which is why they're perfect for aeroplanes, car journeys etc, so I probably don't need that. I'll probably stick with my Amazon ones till they break. So that's £200 to put towards a new guitar now!

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I've use the noise cancelling on the Sony buds, and while it doesn't literally cancel everything, they certainly isolate enough to put some quiet music on and focus in a group of people. I use them if I'm out at a cafe and trying to read or something.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
I've since found out that noise cancelling doesn't really work for people talking, and is more for removing a baseline of drone, which is why they're perfect for aeroplanes, car journeys etc, so I probably don't need that. I'll probably stick with my Amazon ones till they break. So that's £200 to put towards a new guitar now!
The sennheisers I recommended do help with people talking, not just baseline noise.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
With my Sony pair I can't hear people when they walk up and try to talk to me. If I don't see them they basically don't exist.