Metallica And Justice For All...

• Thread starter Dawn of the Shred
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dawn of the Shred

Member Since 2012
Reaction score
It’s my favorite Metallica album... I know I know Lol. Most hate the guitar tone some like it. My question Is there any mids at all on the guitar tone? It’s so scooped that it sounds like every mid in the universe was taken out. But I still feel like there might be a little bit of mids in it. It’s just got this weird sound to it that I can’t explain.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Well, if it literally didn't have any mids, then all you would hear would be oomph and shhhh :lol: So there are definitely some frequencies of mids there, but I'll leave the explaining to someone more competent.

I actually don't mind the guitar tone, but that might be because of the awesome riffs and not the actual tone...

Last edited:

Dawn of the Shred

Member Since 2012
Reaction score
Well, if it literally didn't have any mids, then all you would hear would be oomph and shhhh :lol: So there are definitely some frequencies of mids there, but I'll leave the explaining to someone more competent.

Kinda my thoughts.. It has to have some mids

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
For me, it's Metallica's black metal album or the closest a band like them would ever get to it. The tone is cold, yet crushing, and for some reason Harvester of Sorrow makes me think of Conan the Barbarian. The riffs are so damn barbaric, they really feel like they're coming from a land of anger, which they probably are, going by James' lyrics.

gnoll

Reaction score
For me the wimpy snare is the biggest problem of that album, but I still think the mix is okay overall. Guitars sound great.

Like, listen to Blackened from Seattle 89. When the snare hits come in. BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM. That's how it should have sounded.

nickgray

Reaction score
My question Is there any mids at all on the guitar tone?

Of course. Take any solo rhythm guitar track and EQ the mids out. It will sound like trash. Proper scooped tones (studio worthy tones, not high school band with Metal Zone into Marshall MG kind of tones) still have tons of mids in them.

The chief problem with the album is that there's no bass. Bass also fills out the mid frequencies, not just the bass ones, and that filler simply isn't there. If you add to that overly bright cymbals, scooped guitars, and you have that thin af AJFA tone. The drums are kinda weird sounding too. I've read that Lars specifically wanted this tone, so that explains it.

NosralTserrof

Reaction score
It's weird how that applies to some albums more than others. I've always thought it applies to Vulgar Display Of Power as well. Maybe it's albums with scooped tones?

https://blog.landr.com/fletcher-munson-curves/

tl;dr, our perception of different frequencies depends on how loud something is. I don't know the exact knowledge first hand on how that relates to mixing and making shit sound better but generally, loud = nice barring a few notable examples :p

AJFA is my favorite 'tallica record as well! Harvester, Blackened, Shortest Straw, so many R I F F S

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
Youtuber should remix the album with st anger snare and a Steve Harris bass mix

Dawn of the Shred

Member Since 2012
Reaction score
It’s by far my favorite Metallica album. I’m glad I’m not the only one and it’s getting some love on here!! I just love the guitar tone on it... So cold, hollow and chunky sounding

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
I always thought the AJFA remix with bass sounds "wrong" lol.

Me too. It's probably mostly because I'm not used to hearing the bass there, but the mix also just doesn't work out of the box by just adding bass. It'd need a whole bunch of other tweaking to make it fit in.
It'd be really cool to hear how the original producer wanted to make it sound, but no matter what, the original version will always be the real version.

To return back to topic: the guitar tone is definitely not the problem :2c:

Zender

Tinkering, please hold.
Reaction score
It was the album that got me into metal, so even if it does/did sound bad, I don't care at this point. Plus I was playing it over and over on a walk-man while I mowed yards haha

Exactly this. It was the first album I bought back in, I think '97 or '98. Still have that same physical disk in the car audio. Need to study the parts for a complete playthrough. :)