Microtonal metal?

• Thread starter The Omega Cluster
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ixlramp

Reaction score
Secret Chiefs 3, electric saz and bass fretted for Arabic type scales.

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
10357449_825705857439853_6691013559119060372_n.jpg

A poorly taken photo of my microtonal guitar. :) I've been writing music on it, but nothing yet that I feel is worth sharing.
I'm still getting my bearings, in addition to completely changing the temperament I completely changed how I tune my guitar so everything familiar is more or less gone. :lol: The only remaining notes I have that correspond to a normal guitar form an Augmented Chord.

Reaction score
A poorly taken photo of my microtonal guitar. :) I've been writing music on it, but nothing yet that I feel is worth sharing.
I'm still getting my bearings, in addition to completely changing the temperament I completely changed how I tune my guitar so everything familiar is more or less gone. :lol: The only remaining notes I have that correspond to a normal guitar form an Augmented Chord.

What EDO is this?

Peculate

Reaction score
1. I am SO. HAPPY. this thread is still going.

2. The Omega Cluster and I have a solo project, XYAX, and our next album is going to have a lot of microtonal tech metal! (I still have to finish producing the first one though, haha :x) Fortunately, using MIDI instruments, making microtonal metal is much easier.

Reaction score
1. I am SO. HAPPY. this thread is still going.

2. The Omega Cluster and I have a solo project, XYAX, and our next album is going to have a lot of microtonal tech metal! (I still have to finish producing the first one though, haha :x) Fortunately, using MIDI instruments, making microtonal metal is much easier.

I am also really happy that it gets refreshed from time to time with microtonal news! Also, I still need to write actual music for the new album, I'm not seeing myself having time for this pretty soon, but I can't wait, I'll have help with xenharmonic stuff from the Cryptic Ruse guy. He's pretty deep into microtonal stuff, and I could get some help, really!

ixlramp

Reaction score
Ian Schmelzer has joined the microtonal guitarist group at Facebook and the xenguitarist.com forum, and has 3 videos on Youtube. 14ET has a reputation for being 'difficult' but he has found some scales that really work in an exotic way. There's some heavier stuff in his 3rd video but start here, a good straightforward presentation:

ixlramp

Reaction score
Rob Fielding has just received his quartertone guitar conversion, 24 frets per octave contains the normal tones of our 12ET system:

ixlramp

Reaction score
I usually prefer the sound of Just Intonation to the various Equal Temperaments, more natural and subtle, although of course on a guitar it limits the transposing of scales into any key. Here's a beautiful example, music starts at 1 minute if you want to skip the photo and explanation text.

pestilentdecay

Reaction score
Hey guys, here's a humorous take I did on the whole pop punk/blink 182 style. I recorded two guitar tracks with my 25edo guitar, and basically each guitar track is tuned about a quarter step away from each other. Purposely dissonant sounding :p

[sc]https://soundcloud.com/pestilent-decay-metal/pop-punk-wdissonance-and-microtonality[/sc]

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
When I first got my microtonal guitar a couple months ago I kept but kept bullshitting 1 minute metal clips in the middle of the night but the problem was that I rarely wrote anything out, so once I forgot how to play it it was gone.

These are two of those:
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/phormlyss/witches-dance[/SC]
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/phormlyss/verigated-wisps[/SC]

Yes, I reverted to tremolo picking just to give myself time to think while I played when I was first getting used to playing it, even the biggest frets are almost smaller than my pinky. So enjoy the blast beats and crappy mix. :lol:

pestilentdecay

Reaction score
When I first got my microtonal guitar a couple months ago I kept but kept bullshitting 1 minute metal clips in the middle of the night but the problem was that I rarely wrote anything out, so once I forgot how to play it it was gone.

These are two of those:
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/phormlyss/witches-dance[/SC]
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/phormlyss/verigated-wisps[/SC]

Yes, I reverted to tremolo picking just to give myself time to think while I played when I was first getting used to playing it, even the biggest frets are almost smaller than my pinky. So enjoy the blast beats and crappy mix. :lol:

Awesome stuff man, really cool atmosphere.

Reaction score
10357449_825705857439853_6691013559119060372_n.jpg

Things change...

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
I posted that picture the day after I got it, haha. After a couple weeks I finally had at least enough of a grasp of the thing that I didn't hate everything I was coming up with. :lol:

I'm still not quite at the point where I've written anything that I'd actually come up with a project name for, draw up a logo/art for and throw on bandcamp for download though.

ixlramp

Reaction score
Necris, your tracks are excellent, some of the best microtonal metal i've heard.

"Microtonal band "fasat 14", testing musical technology developed in year 2006, after 8 years pause."

Unrelated, this 16EDO bass is gorgeous:

10665871_867422826609901_5563167984548566552_n.jpg