Mini-Doc on Mangini trying out for Dream Theater (Take This For Pain)

• Thread starter Xiphos68
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Seems like they had him in mind the whole time. Just sayin. Phenomenal player.

Maggai

Slayer of the gods
Reaction score
He was definitely the right choice. Some parts of that jam were damn amazing, especially that mellow section.

Xiphos68

Reaction score
Seems like they had him in mind the whole time. Just sayin. Phenomenal player.

Funny you mention that... Because around the time all that stuff was taken place. My friend that had another friend had heard from another music contact that Mangini had been hanging around the studio and what not around the time that Dramatic Events was being made.

After seeing parts of this jam I would imagine some of those guys were losing their minds during the session.

With the exception of Marco and Virgil.

chewpac

working up to 7...
Reaction score
thanks for sharing this. super cool video. i love the work he's doing with them, and this shows a lot of very cool nuances from the jam section that you didn't see in the video docs on the audition.

AirJordanStaal

Reaction score
I enjoyed the hell out of that jam. I wish they would release mp3s of these. It's amazing to watch talented musicians just put this stuff together on the fly and have it work so well.

guitareben

Reaction score
The jam is just so soo good :D Mangini is insane, he just fits into whatever they're doing, perfectly!

Dethyr

Banned
Reaction score
I don't care for DT but I was really enjoying this video until they went into the 80s prog keyboard wanking. Interesting watch forsure.

xwmucradiox

sweep.tap.sweep
Reaction score
Trooch spends so much of that first solo section outside. He occasionally ties passages back into the musical center but then strikes out again. Such an odd sound from him but killer nonetheless.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
I'm not really a DT fan, at least not of anything post Images and Words, but that was an amazing watch. I've never studied Mike enough up until now, I always knew he was a fearsome drummer but that was amongst the best drumming I've ever seen. That jam was amazing - though at times I think Rudess was getting carried away with himself, Mike did a terrific job of holding it all together.

What really impressed me and one of the first things I noticed was how much he paid attention to everyone else in the room. He wasn't just wanking on the kit trying to impress those guys, he was communicating with them non-verbally and making sure his drumming supported what each one of those guys was doing, all the time. Super impressive. I honestly don't think DT could have asked for a better drummer - I'm not sure there are any!

ghost2II2

Reaction score
I've always been a big DT fan, but that was one of the most boring ....ing things I've tried to watch in quit some time. I literally had to shut the ....ing thing off 15 minutes in because I could feel my brain cells committing suicide. There wasn't even an attempt to come up with cohesive ideas. It was just Petrucci and Rudess ....ing rambling on, and on, and on...

Yeah, we get it. You can sweep, play fast, and weave in and out of complex time signatures. Big ....ing deal. So can't a lot of us. It's ....ing boring.

Mr_Bene

Reaction score
I think you missed the best part of the jam starting at 17:00 till the end.
To me this was better than anything on their last album. It's almost to good to be improvised.

Kwirk

The Wrong Advices
Reaction score
Holy damn, this part at 17 something that's giving me an ACOS vibe is killer. More of that please.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
I've always been a big DT fan, but that was one of the most boring ....ing things I've tried to watch in quit some time. I literally had to shut the ....ing thing off 15 minutes in because I could feel my brain cells committing suicide. There wasn't even an attempt to come up with cohesive ideas. It was just Petrucci and Rudess ....ing rambling on, and on, and on...

Yeah, we get it. You can sweep, play fast, and weave in and out of complex time signatures. Big ....ing deal. So can't a lot of us. It's ....ing boring.

I generally cannot stand Petrucci and Rudess rambling on, I find them both quite dull musicians, Rudess especially loves hearing himself play, but rather than trying to come up with an amazing song idea, it's clear they need to put the drummer on a dyno and see what they've got under the hood, they needed to test Mike (though his ability is proven, there is a chance they could not gel) to make sure he was right. It's less about what they played and more about why they played it.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
If ya guys dug the improv stuff, check out Liquid Tension Experiment if you haven't already. The first thing I thought when I watched the vid was "This sounds like LTE." LTE2 has more improv tracks on it that Rudess/Portnoy/Levin did while Petrucci's baby was being born, so he came back in after and improv'd his guitar tracks over the improv'd tracks.

And for those commenting on the lack of anything in the improv jam, I'm guessing ya'll don't get the chance to improv with other musicians much, do you? You could spend 3 hours improving and find only one 5 second melody that you actually enjoy. Sometimes they're badass and everyone is putting out killer stuff and sometimes not so much.

I'd LOVE to hear the other improv sections from the other guys who auditioned. No doubt Marco and Virgil did great for these, I just think it's their approach to DT's music that didn't get them the gig.