Mix Critique Relay Thread

• Thread starter LiveOVErdrive
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
ITT: post a link to the latest revision of the mix you are working on, along with one thing you like about the previous post's mix and one thing you would change. Next person does the same for your post and so on. Like a relay.

I will start. Because there isn't a previous post, I'll pretend someone posted "Sorceress" by Opeth.

----

Good: the guitars in the main riff sound awesome.
Bad: the master is WAYYYY too compressed.

Mine : https://soundcloud.com/phil-breczinski/fairweatherfiend2-realdrums2/s-kLRnp

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

duffbeer33

Reaction score
This is a good idea. There was a thread in the past called the "WIP Thread" which aimed for the same goal. Unfortunately people didn't seem to follow directions and there were often posts without offering feedback to other users, selfishly wanting feedback on their own mixes (or view counts). This thread idea makes perfect sense to me because I know there has to be at least a small community in this forum who sincerely want to help others, while also receiving helpful criticism of their own mixes. I will listen to your mix later when I have my headphones and offer up some suggestions, and will link to one of mine.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
This is a good idea. There was a thread in the past called the "WIP Thread" which aimed for the same goal. Unfortunately people didn't seem to follow directions and there were often posts without offering feedback to other users, selfishly wanting feedback on their own mixes (or view counts). This thread idea makes perfect sense to me because I know there has to be at least a small community in this forum who sincerely want to help others, while also receiving helpful criticism of their own mixes. I will listen to your mix later when I have my headphones and offer up some suggestions, and will link to one of mine.
Awesome. Yeah the main goal is to keep it simple and fast. It's easy to find one detail in a mix that you don't and do like.

IGC

Reaction score
ITT: post a link to the latest revision of the mix you are working on, along with one thing you like about the previous post's mix and one thing you would change. Next person does the same for your post and so on. Like a relay.

I will start. Because there isn't a previous post, I'll pretend someone posted "Sorceress" by Opeth.

----

Good: the guitars in the main riff sound awesome.
Bad: the master is WAYYYY too compressed.

Mine : https://soundcloud.com/phil-breczinski/fairweatherfiend2-realdrums2/s-kLRnp

Just laying here on my living room couch, relaxing, tablet in hand, and I happened upon this new mix WIP thread... which I like.
To add my own mix link to this post would mean I'd have to get up, and do a bunch of stuff. So I'll just critique your mix now and IOU mine. It's Sunday, I try to chill massively on the weekends.

Ok so yours:

Good:
-primus influences?
-5th harmonies

Bad: (but really just IMO so WGAS)

- I think the clean guitar that is sort of following the singing could have used a little more 'pizzazz'
you know, something to sort of spice things up a bit. Just a lil too 'plain jane' sounding IMO.

- Ok, so I better look out after posting this next thing, on here,
I seriously think you could have incorporated maybe just a little djenting or some tech death /extreme core
elements and gotten away with it in this mix. In a creative way that compliments your vision
for this original composition. :D

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Just laying here on my living room couch, relaxing, tablet in hand, and I happened upon this new mix WIP thread... which I like.
To add my own mix link to this post would mean I'd have to get up, and do a bunch of stuff. So I'll just critique your mix now and IOU mine. It's Sunday, I try to chill massively on the weekends.

Ok so yours:

Good:
-primus influences?
-5th harmonies

Bad: (but really just IMO so WGAS)

- I think the clean guitar that is sort of following the singing could have used a little more 'pizzazz'
you know, something to sort of spice things up a bit. Just a lil too 'plain jane' sounding IMO.

- Ok, so I better look out after posting this next thing, on here,
I seriously think you could have incorporated maybe just a little djenting or some tech death /extreme core
elements and gotten away with it in this mix. In a creative way that compliments your vision
for this original composition. :D

Thanks! But you have to post your mix now. Thems the rules. :)

duffbeer33

Reaction score
@LiveOVErdrive I agree with the earlier comment, sounds like that clean guitar could use some liveliness, like a reverb or something. Also maybe the drums a bit louder?

@IGC Hard to comment on the sound since I'm not sure what you are going for, but my mind is pretty warped after listening to that for sure. Did you intentionally leave out the bass and want the drums to sound so tinny?

Here's my most recent song, would love any feedback:
https://soundcloud.com/duffmusic/visions

IGC

Reaction score
@LiveOVErdrive I agree with the earlier comment, sounds like that clean guitar could use some liveliness, like a reverb or something. Also maybe the drums a bit louder?

@IGC Hard to comment on the sound since I'm not sure what you are going for, but my mind is pretty warped after listening to that for sure. Did you intentionally leave out the bass and want the drums to sound so tinny?

Here's my most recent song, would love any feedback:
https://soundcloud.com/duffmusic/visions

@duffbeer33 First off I'm really diggin what you'r layin down, especially the production and guitar tone and use of electronica/ panning. The only things I would change about this song is that intro guitar thingie, maybe it needs an additional wah or whammy effect to compliment whats going on further in. And I could have gone with a little more agressiveness maybe with some trem picking parts and some soloing.

As for my song, I didn't have a bass or get around to a creative bass alternative at the time of recording and I think the tinny drums are from this midi filter I put on the master track, it's been a while. I try to mix to the stock system in my 2014 Civic EX . Not really going for anything , just ideation, the song name is like Spinal Tap humor.
Here's another version of the song with a different guitar-

https://m.soundcloud.com/user-713812345/subliminal-mind-warper-ext

Last edited:

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
Good idea. I started the other thread. Link is in my sig. People gotta regulate each other in a thread like this.