Mixed brand strings

• Thread starter ShreddingDragon
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ShreddingDragon

Silence the discord
Reaction score
Is this a good idea? :D

Ibanez RGA8:

Eb .010 Ernie Ball
Bb .013 Ernie Ball
Gb .017 Ernie Ball
Db .026 Ernie Ball
Ab .036 Ernie Ball
Eb .046 Ernie Ball
Bb .062 D'addario
F .074 D'addario (<- will fit through the stock tuning hole, right?)

In other words, EB Regular Slinky 6 + single .062 and 0.74 from D'addario, in said tuning. D'addarios because I couldn't find single EB strings that thick to save my life.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Haunted Cereal

I am Sammy Jankis
Reaction score
Actually that will make your guitar melt into a pool of kittens. Whatever you do, don't mix string brands, ever.

I keed. Why would you think this would be a bad idea though?

Varjo

ss.org frenulum
Reaction score
Basically mixed strings work fine. Physically they work completely. The reason why generally mixing brands isn't such a promoted idea is because different string manufacturers use different metal compounds and different winding techniques, resulting in slight differences in tone, sustain and wear between the brands of strings. You might hear it or you might not, depending on a lot of factors.

Not sure about a 74 fitting through a tuner peg. I don't know about the RGA 8, but tuning pegs have a hard time taking a 70. Fix: Either drill the hole a bit bigger or unwind the string a little bit. Either way should work fine :)

EDIT: Morjens muuten veljeskansalaiselle o/

ShreddingDragon

Silence the discord
Reaction score
Thanks guys! / Kiitos!

The reason I was worried was that I suspected minor things like Varjo mentioned. It's alright for now though. I'll try and see. Maybe I'll go for .072 or .070 first.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
Most people don't like mixing brands because of the tonal differences already mentioned, but sometimes the tone difference can be useful rather than a problem, if you use brighter strings on the bottom two and more "normal" sounding ones on the top it'll keep those low B/F notes clear and defined without making your entire string set sound harsh.