Modelers and IEMS and Why I'm Spoiled with and Mad at Helix

• Thread starter GunpointMetal
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
TL;DR - Are there are any small format modelers that have the ability to have two different output levels from two different physical outputs?

So, I love my Helix. It's my entire rig and I'm spoiled with the options. One of those being that I can leave the XLR outputs at a set level and use the volume knob to control the 1/4" output level, which is awesome for me because I love IEMs and run all-direct to FOH in mono so having the XLR outs be at a consistent level means my IEM rig and FOH get a consistent level that doesn't change no matter how loud or quiet I run my on-stage speaker.
But, Line 6 refuses to put LFO controllers in the Floor/LT (come the fuck on guys, Boss has had it for 20 years) and I really wanna add some wackier stuff to some of the music I'm working on without constantly riding the EXP pedal. Right now my options are adding something like the Morningstar MC3/6 or moving to a different modeler. Or moving to a modeler/pedalboard setup. I realllllly don't want to add more stuff the Floor/LT setup because they're both big boards already and getting them to the point that is as easy as it is now for shows (drop it, plug it in, play) would mean adding a pedalboard and power supply and more cables. Gross, I know.
BUT....all of the pedalboard-sized modelers don't seem to have the split-able outputs, or they straight up don't have XLR outputs. Seems no matter what I want to do to add some siren noises to my setup I have to increase my footprint, add more cables, add more weight, add a DI box and at the end of day I'd still have to gain-stage my IEMS against my stage level every time we set up. A huge reason I went to multi-fx and then modelers years ago (15 years at least now) was that extra cables, extra power supplies, and things getting bumped/changed in transport piss me the fuck off and I don't want to deal with any of it. I see the guys in Frontierer and Car Bomb making the sounds I'm chasing and then I look at their boards and I wanna puke. It looks like a 50lb mess of potential failure points and I get hives. What's out there that can do amp/cab modeling, is MIDI controllable, and can run two separate volume levels that don't need to be set on every power-up?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Is an AxeFx and controllers for that too much spaghetti?

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Is an AxeFx and controllers for that too much spaghetti?
Not necessarily, but the most affordable option is still kinda big, and I would need an external expression pedal, and the MC6, and a board to put it all on for it to be “drop and go”. I think I’m just chasing a “Goldilocks” option that doesn’t exist. I’ll probably just keep wringing my hands until the next Helix update drops and if they(Line 6) don’t add the Flux controller to the big pedals I’ll probably just buy a GT-1000.
Edit: I’m also a big fan of redundancy for my live rig so I’d prefer not to invest $3k in adding weewoos, lol.

Latest posts