Modern metal mix/tone test - feedback wanted!!

• Thread starter rhmusic
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rhmusic

Reaction score
good day, i came up with this short mix test that i could use to experiment, go back on and change tones, impulses, samples or anything i want to dial in and perfect my sound. short and sweet, well recorded DI tracks and midi for the source.

i really like the sound of the guitar tone/mix/master so far but i feel it has room for improvement. if you have any suggestions for some better cab impulses (IRs) for guitar, mix changes or anything like that, please let me know. if you wanna know anything about what i did in this mix, check out the soundcloud description. thanks!

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/russell-hollar-music/mix-test-gsc-juicy-groove[/SC]

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

goldsteinat0r

Zib Zob Zabbity
Reaction score
Sounds great, actually! Every seems to sit nicely. Maybe back off the highs just a little on the guitar....but thats really personal preference. Nice riffage too, man!

CovertSovietBear

ブロリー
Reaction score
First of all:

Feedback: I think it's very well mixed, and I love the guitar tone and the snare. The only major criticism would be that the bass drum is a bit too bassy and does not sit well with the other instruments. Your mix seems very tight and snappy, but your bass drum wants to do the opposite and sound huge and it kind of lags behind. It would probably do well in a different mix.

Second of all, you said you were using an Agile. What pickups do you have installed and where are you getting your tone from? It's awesome!

CovertSovietBear

ブロリー
Reaction score
Let me shorten that a bit. I think the bass drum sounds mushy, and it does not sit well with a tight mix like this.

Jax_X

Reaction score
I believe in a different thread you said you were using the Guitarhack Impulses. Also in this other thread I recommended the God'sCab Impulses, so you might want to check those out, if you haven't already.
Compared to the Guitarhack Impulses they have less of a "white noisy" high end and are bit more focused in the mid and 4k range, if that description makes any sense^^.

Letuchy

Reaction score
Cool guitars, but kick drum not sitting properly in the mix

rhmusic

Reaction score
@CovertSovietBear
i use just stock pickups on my agile 8 string, and focus on getting my tone from my Axe-Fx Ultra and great impulses.

@Jax X
thanks ill check out the GodsCab impulses

illimmigrant

A Different Logic
Reaction score
I like the guitar tones a lot, but like most have pointed out, that kick just isn't right. I don't think it's a matter of mixing it better, I just think you need to try a completely different kick. What are you using for drums?