Most brutal metal rig ever

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

guitar4tw

Reaction score
I went bad.

Converted long scale bass with Seymour Duncan Blackouts Metal -> Boss Metal Zone -> Boss Metal Core -> EHX Metal Muff -> TS9 -> 32 band EQ with everything maxed -> Compressor -> Fender MetalHead ^FX Send^ -> 32 Band EQ with everyhting maxed -> vFX Returnv -> 4 x Orange PPC412's in black (Orange isn't hardcore.)

/ridiculous thread/statement.
Wow, I think that might produce a sound capable of killing a herd of elephants. :lol:

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
i'm sorry guys, but THIS is the most brutal metal rig ever.

2008-WALL.jpg

DSC00347_resize.JPG
2008-RACK.jpg

swayman

Reaction score
I'm a sucker for the 5150 & a cab with V30s.

In terms of the best guitar sound I've heard live, Meshuggah, PODs straight into the mixer, unimaginable clarity & tone.

i'm sorry guys, but THIS is the most brutal metal rig ever.

It is indeed an epic rig, but I can't help thinking about all the places within that chain of sound that can go wrong...

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
It is indeed an epic rig, but I can't help thinking about all the places within that chain of sound that can go wrong...

of course there is! but i guess the guy (over at rig-talk) owning this knows what he does...hopefully. :lol:

and speaking frankly: as epic as it is, i personally wouldnt go such an extreme way - as i'm perfectly happy with my current rig, and still think that its (for my style/playing/...) the "most brutal metal rig".

sessionswan

ffffffffftt
Reaction score
I'll take that Silver Jubilee head please...

It's just like Rob Arnold said in that rig rundown vid posted a week ago - you can get all the equipment and copy all the settings you like but the meat n' balls of a good tone comes down to your hands. I'm sure that any of these rigs in the right hands will deliver los br00talz, or in the wrong hands could sound like me after eating 5 of those Fiber One snack bars

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
I think the most brutal tone I've heard was Iced Earths tone. Jon Schaffer used his Larry amps. My god they sounded killer, never heard something punch out so much.

I would of said Strapping Young Lad, but the venue I saw them at sucked, so you could barely hear them over the huge amount of bass and kick drum

Mattnh79

kayke
Reaction score
Marshall 8100 w/ cab loaded with Greenbacks. BC Rich guitar with DiMarzio X2N. Anyone who can come up with a more straight up, pure death metal rig is welcome to..... suggest another rig that would work equally as well.

I see your a fan of Chuck Schuldiner. Nice taste in music. Tho I'm not sure if he used Greenbacks or not.

Brutal good, or brutal bad?

Because a Boss MT-2 into a fender DRRI might get ya there?

I hate Fender and the MT-2, I have both and both are shit, the MT-2 has ear piercing highs, and the mids are way too "nasally". the fender has the worst distortion and even boosted it sucks.

suffo20

Reaction score
the 5150/6505 is hard to beat for just all out brutality. it gets along nicely with the Vader 4x12 as well.

also, if you're seeking out a solid state Ampeg, i personally like the SS150 head much more than the VH140C.

hell, the old Peavey Supreme 160 is a pretty brutal head too. i happen to have one for sale too ;)

I used to have a Peavey Revolution head which is the same as the old Supreme 160 just with extra features. That thing was a monster head. 4 inputs for cabs. Also a few years ago I played a show where this dude had 3 ampeg heads one was the 150, the 140, and he also had one that said 130 on it. I never heard of ampeg making a 130 version. But it was pretty brutal.

Mattnh79

kayke
Reaction score
I went bad.

Converted long scale bass with Seymour Duncan Blackouts Metal -> Boss Metal Zone -> Boss Metal Core -> EHX Metal Muff -> TS9 -> 32 band EQ with everything maxed -> Compressor -> Fender MetalHead ^FX Send^ -> 32 Band EQ with everyhting maxed -> vFX Returnv -> 4 x Orange PPC412's in black (Orange isn't hardcore.)

/ridiculous thread/statement.

Who would want to be caught dead playing an amp call the "MetalHead" :lol:

^ Pfft. That's a weak rig :fawk::lol:

...And your L6 rig is totally brutal :lol: JK

groph

Reaction score
I see your a fan of Chuck Schuldiner. Nice taste in music. Tho I'm not sure if he used Greenbacks or not.quote]

Funny cause I only got into Death like a year ago. I am a fan. I have no clue what speakers he used.

Apparently that's the ideal old school setup according to Scott Burns, I read that somewhere. Nasty solid state high gain, nasty speaker breakup, nasty high output pickup.

Exactly :agreed: when I was asked to join the band, it was pitched to me as, "as close to a Devourment cover band as it can get while still being 'original' songs". TXDM is sludgy, brutal guitar parts with insane drumming, gutteral vocals, and lots of slam. Devourment is the mascot, but other examples would be Insidious Discrepancy, Viral Load, and Sect of Execration.

Never heard Sect of Execration but Insidious Decrepancy and Viral Load both rule. Those are both one man bands with the same guy in them aren't they?

It's tough doing the "slam" thing and still sound somewhat unique.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I hate Fender and the MT-2, I have both and both are shit, the MT-2 has ear piercing highs, and the mids are way too "nasally". the fender has the worst distortion and even boosted it sucks.

You wouldn't be using the Fender's distortion channel :rofl:. Fender DRRI's are nice amps.

mrhankey87

Banned
Reaction score
the most br00tal could be:

Vader 2x15 cab
mahogany neck thru guitar with BKP warpig
vht ultralead/engl savage/madison divinity

unbelievable low end :D

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
All_¥our_Bass;1842065 said:

i've seen them live with that backline (Sunn + Orange cabs were on stage iirc)...it was just amazing, beyond the universe. a boneshaking droning tone, liquid resin, streaming slowly out of the speakers.

Latest posts