Most comfortable 7 string neck?

• Thread starter Nitrox
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jsousa

Reaction score
Yes, I played the original Red one they had at NAMM when they debuted the guitar and than I played both of Chris Storeys plus Chris and I checked out the White one at this past NAMM. The red one is the only one that's different as it's to rustys actual specs. While I like them both I really like the original and I asked Chris and he wasn't sure the dfifference but called Rusty. After talking to Rusty I found out that the red one is how his actual ones are and it's "the exact same thickness but the should profile is different so it has the "illusion" of feeling thicker" is what he said.
The original feels almost exactly like what KXK's really thin necks feel like.

Oh, interesting. So any reason why they didn't make the guitar to his specs? Also could u compare the necks u listed in your first post?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
Oh, interesting. So any reason why they didn't make the guitar to his specs? Also could u compare the necks u listed in your first post?

Not exactly sure but assuming because it's a very small percentage who like a neck that thin... if you've played a KXK or that Rusty you'd understand..it's like a Fretboard w/ no neck attached to it is how I explained it to people.. :lol:

JP7 - Very thin and fast, I like the how it has consistency entirely up the neck.

Rico Jekyll w/ "Shred Neck" his shred profile is extremely comfortable in a shape of his own but kind of reminds me of the old soloist profile everybody raves over. It's not overly thin/flat as he leaves enough wood to maintain good tone, but at the same time be extremely comfortable. Everybody who has ever played my 627 won't shut up about how they've never played a neck like that and it's amazing... Keep in mind if you're specific about a profile he is handbuilding it to your specs so he can always build the neck exactly how you want it and not use his own "shred" profile. You could get a custom handbuilt one from him for less than the Dean and get it neck thru to boot.

Dean Rusty (Red w/ his profile) the thinnest neck I've ever been on...extremely fast and takes a bit to get used to if you normally play more rounded necks. I wonder about having your hand cramp up after playing on one for awhile.
Rusty - Paint/Graphic/White - it feels fatter, doesn't look fat, and like I said I was told it's from the shaping of the shoulders to it. It's like instead of being totally flat it is very flat than rounds off and it took me awhile playing on it to get used to it. Plus there's different ones, the original ones were totally handmade and have painted on serial numbers if you can find one of those on ebay (I've seen a few) those are the ones to grab last time I looked one went for around $1300. I want to say

To add to the original red one there's an old post on this forum where somebody pretty much touches on it.... it's seriously THAT thin.

Has anyone actually measured the neck depth of the Cooley?
I've heard it's about 'half' the size of a Wizard 7 neck, but that seems a little over the top to me. I can imagine maybe 3-4 mm thinner , but half?:scratch:

Here's the neck on the graphic one....

RC7Neck.jpg
100_1309.jpg

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
^^ I can never get over how thin the RC neck is.
Does anyone know how big the necks on his Ibanez guitars were? Just Wizard I necks or something more custom?

jsousa

Reaction score
Does anyone know how big the necks on his Ibanez guitars were? Just Wizard I necks or something more custom?

good question

cob

Metalest man alive
Reaction score
I like the Wizard II neck myself. Thin, flat, pretty slick too.

Also, the JP7 but I don't have the money for one. Just played it at guitar center a million times ^_^.

I think the best neck for me is a thin, unpainted walnut and maple combo. And I've recently discovered that a maple fretboard goes great with that.

BurialWithin

NAM SAND!!
Reaction score
Um i've only played a few sevenstrings like a 7621/7620, jackson DR something, Carvin, LTD M-207, a few schecters which felt like oak trees by the way , so i would have to say from limited experience so far Ibanez have felt the most comfortable.
Oh Oh Oh and the wizard II on my rgt6 is amazing i wonder if they make that in a 7 version??

assfreely

Chug-a-holic
Reaction score
My Brian Moore i9.7 has a very comfortable neck. I've played a COW7, SC607B, Schecter C7, RG7's and a Mockingbird 7 and nothing feels as nice as far as I am concerned...

nikt

LACS Lover
Reaction score

I've got his old LACS ,and you probably not going to believe but it's fatter and more rounded then wizard 7 necks. very comfortable (my favourite neck after ESP B7)

Latest posts